"Shertard" got robbed

I think it depends on the severity of it. It was blatant and stopped a takedown. Sometimes ref's miss stuff that we can heck, it may change the outcome of a fight, but I think the ref got it right.
Fence grabs that prevent takedowns should cost you a point with no warnings, more refs should follow his example
Thing is though, is that its just a change in position. I agree that something needs to be dine, but seeing how many fight effecting nut shots and eye pokes that do legit damage get a pass, seems extreme.

Ankalev was doing the same shit just now. At very least standardize the rules better so its consistent.

Thing is though, is that its just a change in position. I agree that something needs to be dine, but seeing how many fight effecting nut shots and eye pokes that do legit damage get a pass, seems extreme.

Ankalev was doing the same shit just now. At very least standardize the rules better so its consistent.
Fighters get time to recover after nut shots and eye pokes

There’s been plenty of times a takedown resulted in ground and pound that wins a fight or causes enough damage that a fighter is weaker the whole rest of the fight. Damn right it should be a point without a warning - every single time.

A point though? We've seen worse in past fights. Would have been better to reset the fight awarding Montana top position. Even that seems generous.
I dont have a problem with deducting a point. Just be consistent and do it every time someone prevents takedown with fence grab.

I dont have a problem with deducting a point. Just be consistent and do it every time someone prevents takedown with fence grab.
Consistancy would be an improvement for sure. But even then, it's kind of damage version position. Can we really equate top position from a takedown to the damage of a nut shot or an eye poke?

Consistancy would be an improvement for sure. But even then, it's kind of damage version position. Can we really equate top position from a takedown to the damage of a nut shot or an eye poke?
Its cheating. I know reflex wise,its hard to stop yourself from doing it,but look at Mendes vs Aldo. Mendes tried everything he could to take aldo down,and when he finally was about to get it,fuckin aldo held on the fence to block it. Now,if you decide to put them both on the ground,why should it be in a neutral position on thr ground? Maybe Mendes woulda ended up in side mount? so what should happen is a point and then neutral position is the only fair thing to do. I understand in some cases a point is too harsh,or even setting on the ground..but in situations like that? It kind of saved aldo's ass.

Its kind of how i feel about Jones roiding. If this dude is like the best fighter,and then people expect guys to try to beat him on roids also? cmon

Reactions: Gio
There’s been plenty of times a takedown resulted in ground and pound that wins a fight or causes enough damage that a fighter is weaker the whole rest of the fight. Damn right it should be a point without a warning - every single time.
I dont think every single time cos some guys grab the fence before the TD is really attempted. It could just be a leg grab and dude holds balance. But Mendes v Aldo should have been a point. Mendes got the fuckin TD if it wasnt for that grab. Aldo was in the fuckin air.

Its cheating. I know reflex wise,its hard to stop yourself from doing it,but look at Mendes vs Aldo. Mendes tried everything he could to take aldo down,and when he finally was about to get it,fuckin aldo held on the fence to block it. Now,if you decide to put them both on the ground,why should it be in a neutral position on thr ground? Maybe Mendes woulda ended up in side mount? so what should happen is a point and then neutral position is the only fair thing to do. I understand in some cases a point is too harsh,or even setting on the ground..but in situations like that? It kind of saved aldo's ass.

Its kind of how i feel about Jones roiding. If this dude is like the best fighter,and then people expect guys to try to beat him on roids also? cmon
I think if they even side mount, or even back mount, would be a better reprimand than a full point. I can see your point that since it's technically cheating, it's hard to justify. I don't want this to be the hill I die on <45> but..... going back to instinct, I think it's a bit much considering no damage is being inflicted. And I do think there is an instinct that comes with having a fence available to grab in the first place.

Ankalev was doing the same shit tonight. Awarding positions might not feel like the best solution, in the spirit of the fight and all, but surely it's still less extreme than a point.

Shit... I need to sober up then decide how much I'm willing to fight this topic.

<28>

Reactions: HHJ
I think if they even side mount, or even back mount, would be a better reprimand than a full point. I can see your point that since it's technically cheating, it's hard to justify. I don't want this to be the hill I die on <45> but..... going back to instinct, I think it's a bit much considering no damage is being inflicted. And I do think there is an instinct that comes with having a fence available to grab in the first place.

Ankalev was doing the same shit tonight. Awarding positions might not feel like the best solution, in the spirit of the fight and all, but surely it's still less extreme than a point.

Shit... I need to sober up then decide how much I'm willing to fight this topic.

<28>
I didnt get to watch the fights tonight,and usually i shrug off the fence grabs (or rope grabs back in the day)

but some,like the aldo mendes one,or conor's double digit infractions,do piss me the fuck off. I am an aldo fan,but i did put myself in mendes shoes like cmon man wtf

Conor had about close to total 19 fouls I think?

Cage grabbing, short grabbing, glove grabbing, kneed to the head of ground opponent.

Herb Dean probably had smoke some herbs prior to that fight.

It's not a change in position. If one is better on the ground and they get taken down, it changes the game. Person grabbing fence may be able to land more damage, as obviously happened thereafter.

Nut shots and eye pokes are dealt with. A fighter doesn't need to continue if it is a huge game changer. Up to the fighter to continue.

It's not a change in position. If one is better on the ground and they get taken down, it changes the game. Person grabbing fence may be able to land more damage, as obviously happened thereafter.

Nut shots and eye pokes are dealt with. A fighter doesn't need to continue if it is a huge game changer. Up to the fighter to continue.
I think that's my point though, that it would be better to award the position that was potentially lost with the grab and let it play out than to take a point. For eye pokes and nut shots, it makes more sense since the person is directly damaged. If the person who attempted the takedown is better on the ground and they are awarded the position, it should work out more organically.

A point for one grab with no warning? Conor vs Khabib with this ref would have had a 10-2 round.

Dude smells like cigs and booze.

<{hughesimpress}>

It was a bad grab that sure look like it prevented a takedown. Fence grabs of that nature need to be addressed by the ref.

Personally, I think restarting the fight with the fence grabber in bottom position on the ground would be a sufficient, and more appropriate, penalty for a first offense for such a bad grab. In a three round fight a point is a very heavy penalty. Bueno Silva wrecked her opponent but only got a draw.

A point for one grab with no warning? Conor vs Khabib with this ref would have had a 10-2 round.

Dude smells like cigs and booze.

<{hughesimpress}>

t8x611bc05y41.jpg

Back