SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 21 Discussion - Closer

I didn't like Black Swan at all :p Too slow, all style with little to no story. It was definitely a very well made movie though.

This one I grabbed on DVD from the library and on the back of the DVD there's a blurb that says, "Finally! A love story for adults!"

Having now seen the movie that sounds pretty retarded to me on a number of levels. It may be a story about love . . . but it's not really a love story. THIS is what that reviewer has been waiting for all this time?

They must all know you by name at the library now.

It was probably a typo, I think he meant "adulterers" instead of adults.

I think most of the responses are going to run along the lines of, "Well, it was the only one I hadn't seen before." But I am curious to hear what people have to say.

Yah, probably. IIRC Jeicex said he wanted to see her with red hair again, but I think he was joking.

The ending was though-provoking and surprising, it was just a case of too little, too late. The Doctor was the only character that interested me

Sorry about being out of it this week guys. I rarely miss a film. I might still watch it but as of now I think I have to play my...

th

Sorry about being out of it this week guys. I rarely miss a film. I might still watch it but as of now I think I have to play my...

th

I was wondering if/when you were going to show up. . .

Skipping out on us, huh? First Europe for The Seven Five and now you for Closer.

I fear I see a trend starting.

I was wondering if/when you were going to show up. . .

Skipping out on us, huh? First Europe for The Seven Five and now you for Closer.

I fear I see a trend starting.

Haha, I wouldn't call it a trend, just I was busy this week and the movie itself was not attractive to me. I rarely miss a week so I wouldn't worry about it.

Bring it, motherfucker!

Almost done. This movie is so great.

The actions of each character only seem like simple wayward choices if you don't follow the forces at play. In reality each moment hangs carefully on a string, and while the characters are given just enough freedom to allow us to loathe their mistakes, in a sense they're always following a certain predictable track that the universe has guided them along.

Hint: class and gender are the interacting traits that make up the quadruplet ensemble. Follow the development of the plot along those lines and you'll have an easier time recognizing the beauty and exquisite precision of the writing here.

Last edited:
Ok so I just picked up this movie. I kind of splurged at the video store by getting 4 movies instead of the panned 2. I needed Closer and I was set on Henry V, but I also had to get Richard II with David Tennant
This guy
127.gif
and The Tempest with Roger Allam
One of these guys
w7dehc.jpg
because they weren't in the Shakespeare section last I looked therefore I couldn't resist.

I also have Iron Man 3 from netflix and I want to get that watched asap so I can return it and get the next disc in my queue. I may not get to this movie tonight. But it's coming, I promise.

The actions of each character only seem like simple wayward choices if you don't follow the forces at play. In reality each moment hangs carefully on a string, and while the characters are given just enough freedom to allow us to loathe their mistakes, in a sense they're always following a certain predictable track that the universe has guided them along.

Hint: class and gender are the interacting traits that make up the quadruplet ensemble. Follow the development of the plot along those lines and you'll have an easier time recognizing the beauty and exquisite precision of the writing here.

I look forward to your breakdown.

There were some interesting elements at play here: trauma, trust, power, fear, guilt, love, attraction vs.compatibility, happiness vs. honesty, etc.

I'm having an impacted wisdom tooth pulled next week, so I was distracted by pain... and painkillers. I wasn't in a particularly analytical mood when I watched it yesterday.

I have to be honest here, that sounds like a lot of justification for people being shitty.

Maybe you can explain it more thoroughly in your breakdown.

For me I'll take a good story with shitty acting, over a bad story with good acting, any day of the week.

This a million times over. I've seen some really shitty movies (acting, special effects, editing, etc.) which I was happy to play along with and really enjoyed because of the story. Engaging story has me in every time.

As far as this movie, my biggest comment is in regards to the conversation it started with my wife regarding cheating. Wasn't a great night for me folks.

My take is that I'd be fine (well, could get over pretty easily) a drunken night on a business trip where she cheated vs. a longer term deal with an emotional connection. She didn't love that, I think because it made it seem like I didn't think cheating is a big deal. I guess I don't, really, as long as there wasn't an emotional connection. My comment that I don't cheat simply because I know it would hurt her vs. because it's wrong didn't go over too well either.

Cousins brutishly crashed my place. Herculean efforts to survive imminent. Closer will be postponed until the day of Frigg and Freyja. May the day of their namesakes prove more auspicious for film.

Staccatioed poetry shield me from shadow_priest_x.

My take is that I'd be fine (well, could get over pretty easily) a drunken night on a business trip where she cheated vs. a longer term deal with an emotional connection. She didn't love that, I think because it made it seem like I didn't think cheating is a big deal. I guess I don't, really, as long as there wasn't an emotional connection. My comment that I don't cheat simply because I know it would hurt her vs. because it's wrong didn't go over too well either.

Jesus. I can't say I'm surprised that didn't go over well.

Personally, if someone I was married to cheated on me then the marriage would be over. Period. No discussion. No trial separation. None of that shit.

I'm gonna leave the house for 24 hours and she better be gone when I get back.

Cousins brutishly crashed my place. Battle for survival imminent. Closer will be postponed until the day of Frigg and Freyja. May the day of their namesakes prove more auspicious for film.

Staccatioed poetry shield me from shadow_priest_x.

I don't even know what the fuck you just said here.

I don't even know what the fuck you just said here.

Note added: Staccatioed poetry super-effective on the ninja-worshipping one. Converse with him as if quoting nothing but Glen Cookian prose. Also, buy milk.

A cousin is a form of kinsman, duh!:rolleyes:

Jesus. I can't say I'm surprised that didn't go over well.

Personally, if someone I was married to cheated on me then the marriage would be over. Period. No discussion. No trial separation. None of that shit.

I'm gonna leave the house for 24 hours and she better be gone when I get back.

Yeah, not my finest moment. We've been very happily married for 18 years and I bring this up now? Frak you Closer! All is good though. We made up later.

Honestly, I'm just the most non-jealous person out there. I'd probably do well in an open relationship but have never gone down that path.

Note added: Staccatioed poetry super-effective on the ninja-worshipping one. Converse with him as if quoting nothing but Glen Cookian prose. Also, buy milk.

A cousin is a form of kinsman, duh!:rolleyes:

I think I've got it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, not my finest moment. We've been very happily married for 18 years and I bring this up now? Frak you Closer! All is good though. We made up later.

Honestly, I'm just the most non-jealous person out there. I'd probably do well in an open relationship but have never gone down that path.

Interesting. Yeah, that's pretty much the opposite of my personality when it comes to relationships.

Quit typing from your phone, @europe1. No one understands what you're saying :p

I'm pumped to write about this, so gather round yonder hearth children because it's time to spin some tales.

Closer is a film that is predicated on a few assumptions about people and the relationships they create with one another. First: people are complex, and have multifaceted desires. Second: these various desires often conflict and demand contradictory behaviours, and three: every person depends on other people for satisfaction and to help forge a more complete sense of self. The straightforward conclusion to draw from these is that people will naturally be compelled to form different relationships that cannot co-exist, and will be deeply affected by the dilemmas that emerge, which is what we see in the film. I find these assumptions refreshingly realistic, but if you don't and you are uncompromising in your disagreement this will be your first speed bump when it comes to digesting the film.

As a sort of methodological aside, any film study group should be able to analyze a film without thrusting their own morality upon it, and not being able to effectively manage that emotional distance is another hazard to watch out for here. However I won't say we should remove subjectivity from the discussion completely, because (i) the bulk of my film criticism in general is subjective in nature, since I know little about the craft as a whole, and (ii) this film demands an emotional reaction that depends on some personal investment in the characters and the events that unfold between them. So maybe tread carefully and observe from a distance before jumping right in with the judgment and whatnot.

The first thing I'm going to do is give a very brief breakdown of each character, and then I'll go through the film as it's presented to describe how the interactions between them unfold. There are very important pairings to make here but also some characteristics unique to each character.

Dan - a native Brit, Dan locks eyes with Alice in the first scene of the film to get the whole train moving. He's an aspiring writer who makes a living writing obituaries, sometimes even for people who are still alive. He is clever and sensitive, and his communication style is playful, witty, and expressive. He's naively romantic, though not unwilling to act against the interests of his current partner (remember when he first becomes interested in Alice he's already dating a girl named Ruth). He's very good with words and perhaps better acquainted with his world of linguistic abstraction than with the more base human motivations. Dan loves Alice because she is cute and simple and loves Anna because in her he recognizes a more familiar emotional complexity.

Alice - an American hailing from New York, Alice tells Dan that she left America because of problems with a "male". More than any other character Alice gives the impression that she's been hurt in the past, possibly traumatized, and her personality acts largely as a shield against those deeper wounds. Her youth is attractive but keeps her from a certain sophistication, which manifests as very black-and-white relationship commitments: she's either with you or against you. As a stripper she's been exposed to a darker side of humanity, but she's comfortable in that darkness and refuses to be shamed for her participation in its activities. Her insecurity keeps her hyper-attuned to the body language and intentions of others, and she's not afraid to use that knowledge against them as she enters and exits their personal lives and spaces. She loves Dan because he represents a brighter ideal of partnership that she prefers but doesn't really believe in, and she recognizes Larry's struggle to deal with his own brutish nature.

Anna - another American, Anna is a photographer whose art exhibit is one of the key settings of the film. She's a divorcee who expresses a profound maturity on the surface that extends from a deeper sadness, perhaps a depression. Her artwork puts this sadness in the faces of others on display and makes them beautiful, as hers undeniably is. She expresses her own desires probably the least of any of the four characters, but gets caught having to choose between Dan and Larry. She loves Dan because of his intelligence and sensitivity and she accepts Larry for his straightforwardness and effort.

Larry - a Brit like Dan, Larry is a dermatologist who moves into his own private practice through the course of the film. As a medical professional Larry is clearly financially and intellectually adept, but his language betrays a subtle compensation - he's trained himself to live in the higher world and is not a natural denizen as are Anna and Dan (this is revealed when Anna calls him out for his middle class guilt and he corrects her - working class!) As a natural member of the lower order Larry finds himself uncomfortably in touch with his baser sexual and violent instincts, but employs this familiarity to better channel that energy toward his own interests. As a raw cynic he pairs well with Alice, but the self-loathing he has for this part of himself causes him to see Anna as a saviour who can raise him up by accepting his affection.

Now here are some pairings: Larry and Alice are cynical and physical, while Dan and Anna are artistic and romantic. Larry and Dan are men and concerned with competing over physicality, while Anna and Alice are concerned themselves more with issues of emotional commitment. Dan and Larry are Brits, Alice and Anna Americans.

Quit typing from your phone, @europe1. No one understands what you're saying :p

I'm pumped to write about this, so gather round yonder hearth children because it's time to spin some tales.

Closer is a film that is predicated on a few assumptions about people and the relationships they create with one another. First: people are complex, and have multifaceted desires. Second: these various desires often conflict and demand contradictory behaviours, and three: every person depends on other people for satisfaction and to help forge a more complete sense of self. The straightforward conclusion to draw from these is that people will naturally be compelled to form different relationships that cannot co-exist, and will be deeply affected by the dilemmas that emerge, which is what we see in the film. I find these assumptions refreshingly realistic, but if you don't and you are uncompromising in your disagreement this will be your first speed bump when it comes to digesting the film.

They can co-exist, if one can control their sexual urges (granted, that's not always possible) but I agree they will be deeply affected by the dilemmas, unless they're just a heartless horny brute (and plenty of them exist)

I'm not sure if Alice was deeply affected by the dilemma though. She was mainly affected by her partners inability to trust and love her. Often teens and adutls who were abused/neglected as children desperately want to be loved, to make them feel like more than an object. It can cause them a world of problems.

Did any of the characters have connections with their parents? i think Alice was definitely traumatized during her youth, they all might have been in one way or another.

As a sort of methodological aside, any film study group should be able to analyze a film without thrusting their own morality upon it, and not being able to effectively manage that emotional distance is another hazard to watch out for here. However I won't say we should remove subjectivity from the discussion completely, because (i) the bulk of my film criticism in general is subjective in nature, since I know little about the craft as a whole, and (ii) this film demands an emotional reaction that depends on some personal investment in the characters and the events that unfold between them. So maybe tread carefully and observe from a distance before jumping right in with the judgment and whatnot.

The way we judge things are shaped by our political and spiritual views. Even if you try and remove your politics, morals, and personal opinions, if you speak honestly about the movie then your political or spiritual opinion will be transparent, based on how you received the film. For example, if someone loves the transformers movies then they're probably not into science very much.

You can't always gauge people's beliefs from their opinions but often you can.

The first thing I'm going to do is give a very brief breakdown of each character, and then I'll go through the film as it's presented to describe how the interactions between them unfold. There are very important pairings to make here but also some characteristics unique to each character.

Dan - a native Brit, Dan locks eyes with Alice in the first scene of the film to get the whole train moving. He's an aspiring writer who makes a living writing obituaries, sometimes even for people who are still alive. He is clever and sensitive, and his communication style is playful, witty, and expressive. He's naively romantic, though not unwilling to act against the interests of his current partner (remember when he first becomes interested in Alice he's already dating a girl named Ruth). He's very good with words and perhaps better acquainted with his world of linguistic abstraction than with the more base human motivations. Dan loves Alice because she is cute and simple and loves Anna because in her he recognizes a more familiar emotional complexity.

It seemed to me that Dan was all about "love at first sight". He fell in love with Alice instantly, just from looking at her. For the most part it was the same Anna, they barely talked and he was obsessed with her that was (loudly) insisting that Anna see him again, while Alice was in the bathroom a few feet away. He knew how to say all the right things but he didn't really believe them, he was just obsessive that way, he saw a girl he liked and he was going to try and get her, no matter what.

He said Alice was great and he loved her, he didn't have anything bad to say about her, he just loved Anna also, and she was new, and the cheating aspect made the sex hotter, there was a thrill to it, like fucking in public. People who fall in love at first sight always have problems, because they love so many people they can never decide and are always unhappy about their partners.

Alice - an American hailing from New York, Alice tells Dan that she left America because of problems with a "male". More than any other character Alice gives the impression that she's been hurt in the past, possibly traumatized, and her personality acts largely as a shield against those deeper wounds. Her youth is attractive but keeps her from a certain sophistication, which manifests as very black-and-white relationship commitments: she's either with you or against you. As a stripper she's been exposed to a darker side of humanity, but she's comfortable in that darkness and refuses to be shamed for her participation in its activities. Her insecurity keeps her hyper-attuned to the body language and intentions of others, and she's not afraid to use that knowledge against them as she enters and exits their personal lives and spaces. She loves Dan because he represents a brighter ideal of partnership that she prefers but doesn't really believe in, and she recognizes Larry's struggle to deal with his own brutish nature.

Good observations on all the characters, here's my take (which I covered a bit at the start of this post)

I think Alice was neglected or abused as a child, and as a result she seeks total commitment and love from her partners. She doesn't like to socialize, she just wants to be with him and no one else. She craves the devotion and love that she never received from her parents as a child.

Originally Alice liked Dan, but after she saw how quickly he was willing to get over his wife, she realized he was too cold and calculating for her, he would never be able to love her blindly, which is what she needed.

Anna - another American, Anna is a photographer whose art exhibit is one of the key settings of the film. She's a divorcee who expresses a profound maturity on the surface that extends from a deeper sadness, perhaps a depression. Her artwork puts this sadness in the faces of others on display and makes them beautiful, as hers undeniably is. She expresses her own desires probably the least of any of the four characters, but gets caught having to choose between Dan and Larry. She loves Dan because of his intelligence and sensitivity and she accepts Larry for his straightforwardness and effort.

Anna was the toughest cookie to crack. That statement implies I was able to crack said cookie, but I'm not sure I was able to.

I think she was your typical "desperate housewife" case. She lived through her art, but artists always want more, and they're always troubled inside. Their art comes from their soul, and is therefore representative of their inner most desires and passions. This is why you can often tell a lot about people by their musical tastes.

Larry - a Brit like Dan, Larry is a dermatologist who moves into his own private practice through the course of the film. As a medical professional Larry is clearly financially and intellectually adept, but his language betrays a subtle compensation - he's trained himself to live in the higher world and is not a natural denizen as are Anna and Dan (this is revealed when Anna calls him out for his middle class guilt and he corrects her - working class!) As a natural member of the lower order Larry finds himself uncomfortably in touch with his baser sexual and violent instincts, but employs this familiarity to better channel that energy toward his own interests. As a raw cynic he pairs well with Alice, but the self-loathing he has for this part of himself causes him to see Anna as a saviour who can raise him up by accepting his affection.

To become a doctor one has to go through years and years of intense schooling. The devote their youth to education. For all their intelligence they're still often unable to relate to regular people after all that. They think in clinical terms, they have to block out their emotions to do their job properly. In doing so they must be losing some of their humanity.

Anna told Dan that she was staying with Larry out of guilt. Larry said Anna likes being miserable... She's the tortured artist, if she's happy then she can't create her art. She craves misery because it fuels her desire to be an artist. She's caught between rebelling against society and giving in to it's charms. Dan writes "propaganda", she's an artist. Their attraction was purely physical.

I think the artist in her was attracted to Dan's passion for love and life maybe, or maybe she was just bored and lonely and desperate for the naive devotion that only a younger man can provide. I meet lonely neglected housewifes everyday, they love getting attention from younger men, even the ones who would never cheat on their husband. It just makes them feel young again. Any decent looking teenager/young girl gets hit on a lot and they get used to it, when their looks fade they miss that attention.

Dan was too comfortable, he didn't even suspect she was cheating until the day when she was acting weird because she was about to tell him. He just trusted her and took her for granted... or maybe I'm wrong and he did suspect she was cheating, which would be worse in her eyes because it would meant he doesn't care, he just doesn't want to be alone.

Perhaps she stayed with him out of guilt, perhaps she was attracted to his misery for the same reason that she likes to photographs miserable people. It speaks to her. I've known several girls who gave guys pity dates/sex and then just end up stuck with them, they miss the romance but they like the power it gives them over the desperate ones. Dan would've broken her heart when he got bored and met someone new that he would instantly fall in love with and need. Larry was the safe choice, Larry wasn't going to leave her, no matter what, he represented safety and comfort to her maybe.

Now here are some pairings: Larry and Alice are cynical and physical, while Dan and Anna are artistic and romantic. Larry and Dan are men and concerned with competing over physicality, while Anna and Alice are concerned themselves more with issues of emotional commitment. Dan and Larry are Brits, Alice and Anna Americans.

Why do you consider Larry to be physical, wasn't Dan the one who slapped Alice? Larry was outraged that the women thought he was going to hit them.

I didn't consider Dan to be artistic either, I'm pretty sure he said he was taught how to change the wording around in the articles. He could follow orders, but what indication was there that he was artistic or even of high intelligence. I thought he was just a naive, foolish, but confident and attractive young guy who was thinking with his dick. I suppose he did know how to charm the ladies well, but was this a sign of intelligence or was it some kind of moral deficiency? I can go tell a lonely woman that she's the most important person in the world to me and that I can't live without her, and get lucky, but it would be dishonest and mean, I have too big of a heart to do that to them. Dan didn't mourn Anna for long, he was more than happy to go back to Alice, he just wanted to be with someone who turned him on.

Larry was able to understand people on a deeper level. He raped Dan's mind and ruined his relationship with Alice.

I think when Larry told Anna off he was making her understand why she wanted Dan. Because the sex was more passionate. He made her realize that their relationship was hollow, and he would leave her once he got bored of fucking her. I don't think Dan even realized what he was doing, he couldn't control himself. Dan's emotional outlook on life made him attractive in the short run, but the brighter you burn, the sooner you burn out, right. He wasn't the kind of guy you settle down with to raise a family. It could've been disastrous for Anna had she not gone back to Dan.

Anna had to lie about the divorce papers. She didn't trust Dan, she did trust Larry.

I think the message was you can be a young stud and get laid, but the real way to a woman's heart is to earn her trust, which can usually only be achieved with honesty.

Ok. Closer. Let's see. This movie, to me, was filled with characters I loathed. One of my mantras that I've followed for most of my adult life is questionable, in "I love a liar but I hate a cheater". I don't remember where I heard it, and I don't want to find out. And they echoed that sentiment in this film when in the strip club Portman said "Lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off." Also, Law said "try lying for a change, it's the currency of the world." All great lines about lying, and I'm game. What really turned things around at the very end is when Clive Owen convinced Julia Roberts to finally tell Jude Law the truth. It's weird how the truth set them free from each other.

A short digression: one of the things I love about the SMC is that I have the chance to watch films I've watched once and never thought I'd go back to. You know the films - one and dones, where you get what you need out of it and are ready to move on and never come back to. For instance, with Primer, I figured I had gotten all I would be able to understand out of it. With Pi, I did my time. Not to knock these picks because they're great movies in their own right, but they're just movies I never thought I'd revisit for one reason or another. It's not necessarily that I disliked them, it's just that I felt I had gotten everything I could from it. Sure, coming back 10 years later is a fresh set of eyes, so maybe I did pick up a few new things along the way. I know I've changed significantly since my college days, that much is sure. So, I'm glad we're doing this.

I've seen it highlighted above from a few of you, that these are all bad people. When one character says to another "Why won't you let me? Why won't you let me love you?", you know there are some problems. Everyone lies to everyone, which I'm not too upset over based on my own broken moral reasons, but the cheating is just brutal. They seem to be ok with it until they aren't. It's weird, the characters appear to be comfortable cheating on their own partner, but when their own partner cheats on them, it's world ending. Look at Natalie Portman, she's the only one who didn't cheat. She ended up Clive Owen after she broke up with Jude Law, and of all the characters that dominated the other, Larry >>> Dan, and it made me wonder what the right combination was of the four possibilities. Honestly, I don't think any of them should have ended up together. Clive Owen shouldn't be with Julia Roberts because of her cheating and him playing on the internet for anonymous sex, and Portman because she just needs to go home. Jude Law shouldn't be with Julia Roberts because he stalked her for a long time until she relented, and he shouldn't be with Portman because he cheated and she should just go home.

It's really hard for me to be subjective about this movie because of my own life experiences, so I gave up trying to like these characters and put myself in their shoes. I'm trying to take the advice given in some earlier threads (like europe1's discussion about trying to find the character you most sympathize with) and take myself out of the equation. I'm making progress, but to me these characters are so deplorable that I just can't get into it. No one trusts anybody. Everyone is messing with everyone.

This is actually a digression I want to get into, now that I think about it. The overdone and typically destructive-for-a-TV-show subplot of characters getting romantically entangled with one another. There's a show that you're likely familiar with, Dexter, that I've been rewatching for some reason. One of the main problems I had with it, other than the writing and all around insanity as the series progressed, was the fact that the writers made the cast intermingle. It was maddening. Deb alone was written into these series of insane relationships, starting with Rudy/Brian, that gym guy, Lundy, Anton, Lundy again, Quinn, Quinn, Quinn, and then for that weird period, Dexter? And then there was the travesty between Angel and the worst character in the show, LaGuerta. The fact that shows and films are just chomping at the bit to see the dynamic between characters as they fall in and out of love is maddening. It's not fun, and just manufacturing drama for the sake of drama. To me, it's bad writing, when they have no other ideas beyond "hey, what if we made these two characters get together in a totally unrealistic manner and drag it out for a while?" It just kills me. What's the point?

This film was frustrating to me. I felt like a lot of the situations were extremely inorganic and unrealistic. Who would date and inevitably fall for a guy that stalked you for a long time? A guy that is kind of a pervert, one that trolls an anonymous sex site to lure in guys to go after the girl you're interested in? And when the guy reveals that he's only there because he was set up on a sex site, why would you be like "well clearly he's the one I've been looking for"? Think about it from an objective point of view - you talk to someone on a hookup site, and then end up meeting them the next day only to find out that you've been talking to a guy who's trying to creep on this girl he likes. And think of it from her perspective? She's just sitting there at the aquarium minding her own business, and this really creepy guy comes up to her and starts saying some very forward sexual things to her. And then she finds out he thought he was talking to her on that hookup site, and she's ok with it. Then, she ends up getting with the guy that set up the other guy with her. That's just convoluted and annoying for the sake of being annoying.

5/10. I'm done talking about it.

Back