Movies SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 197 - My Bloody Valentine (1981)

europe1

It´s a nice peninsula to Asia
@Steel
Reaction score
NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

my-bloody-valentine-1981-1024x576.jpg

Our Director
George Mihalka​
image-w240.jpg

Our Star
I can't even find decent photos of these guys but at least the murder is cool!
image.jpg
Film Overview

Premise: A decades-old folk tale surrounding a deranged murderer killing those who celebrate Valentine's Day turns out to be true to legend when a group defies the killer's order and people start turning up dead.​

Budget: $2.3 million

Box Office: 5.7 million!

Trivia
(courtesy of IMDB)

* The filming location, Sydney Mines, Nova Scotia is a small Canadian coal-mining town. The area was filled with closed pit mines, bootleg mines and underground mines, which were shutting down (due to economic and environmental issues), at the time filming took place. Since then, the mine used as the "Hanniger Mine", called the Princess Colliery Mine in real-life, has been dismantled, buried and turned into a park/museum.

* The film was shot in authentic mines which were often as much as 900 feet underground. Only certain lighting devices could be used in the mines because of the potential danger of methane explosions.

In an interview with TerrorTrap.com director George Mihalka said that the shooting location at Sydney Mines, Nova Scotia was chosen because of its rustic atmospheric appearance. However when the locals found out that a movie was to be shot there they decided to spend $50,000 to have the mine painted and cleaned! This, of course, diminished the reason that the production wanted the location to begin with. Mihalka said that $75,000 of the films budget was then used to return the mine to its original state for shooting.

Producers André Link and John Dunning said the films origin came about when they sought to find a holiday which a slasher film had not been set on during the "slasher flick boom" of the early 1980s. They settled on Valentine's Day and in order to keep the idea from being copied they made the films working title "The Secret", though they had the release title in mind the whole time.

Star Neil Affleck said that the identity of the film's killer was kept a secret even from the cast because the filmmakers liked the idea of the mystery being real among the actors. However, Affleck figured out that he was the killer when, after being cast, he was sent to the make up effects department to be fitted for a fake arm that would be ripped off the killer in the film's finale.

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @FrontNakedChoke @chickenluver @Scott Parker 27 @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @HARRISON_3 @Bubzeh @moreorless87 @HenryFlower @Zer @Wizzlebiz

Anyone find a free link to this? Been looking but haven't found one yet.

i recommend the app JustWatch to everyone. it’s a free app that tells you all the streaming services/apps/etc that have whatever movie you search for.

AC809712-3-B66-43-FF-97-E4-56-F1-F1396-AC6.png

it has a bunch of other features too, but i only use it whenever i’m checking if a movie is available for free somewhere. could be a useful tool for our members.

now i need to email JustWatch so they can kick me some $$$ for this advertisement.

i recommend the app JustWatch to everyone. it’s a free app that tells you all the streaming services/apps/etc that have whatever movie you search for.

AC809712-3-B66-43-FF-97-E4-56-F1-F1396-AC6.png

it has a bunch of other features too, but i only use it whenever i’m checking if a movie is available for free somewhere. could be a useful tool for our members.

now i need to email JustWatch so they can kick me some $$$ for this advertisement.

Either my roku or smart tv does that. Its dope

Fml. I watched the 2009 version by mistake.....

So I started the correct one and realized I've seen the 2009 version. The 1981 one is much better, seems more authentic.

My wife's best friend had a next door neighbor who lost his arm in a mining incident. I met him and evidently everyone just assumed he was going to die and didnt even look at him on the way back except a former military guy. Guy stopped the bleeding and saved his life but if he wasnt there everyone else was just going to let him die.

So my main thought about this movie is that the protagonist kinda looks like a young Oliver Reed.

And how was Axel able to kill that old lady if he was down at the mines at that time?

So my main thought about this movie is that the protagonist kinda looks like a young Oliver Reed.

And how was Axel able to kill that old lady if he was down at the mines at that time?

Honestly I got distracted so idk if something didn't fit. My main thoughts were the beginning and such seemed like how young guys who worked at a mine would act in the 80s. Other than that the movie didnt leave much impression negative or positive

@FrontNakedValentine Cheking in
Graciously accepting my first Battle Royale W
giphy.gif

I chose this movie for two reasons:
1) Valentines Day
2) I've been on a serious Slasher kick recently (accepting suggestions)
This is one of the better ones I've seen thus far.

The mine is a creepy setting for a Slasher. Amplifies the claustrophobic, trapped feeling.
On the other hand, the usually romantic Valentines scenes are turned into a blood bath.
The Killers mining outfit is great. The sound of the respirator adds a nice effect to it also.
My-Bloody-Valentine.jpg

The opening kill is awesome. As are the rest.
I watched this for the first time recently and have wanted to see it again since.
917ff2d06f502d2f40c91413f9bf42c2.jpg

Something I've noticed in movies recently- People who are showering, rarely look like they're actually showering..
Lathering Nothing:
lathering nothing.PNG

Mabel's decorating committee DID kill it, to be fair.

Damn kids should have listened to the wise old bartender.

"Then he cut out their hearts"
<{JustBleed}> <{JustBleed}> <{JustBleed}> <{JustBleed}>
tumblr_n2yahukaPG1rxgx3eo1_500.gif

The first person killer shots work well for this movie.
chocolat.png

Poor old Mabel's body just a spinnin' in that washing machine.
That's an interesting way to try and clean a corpse.

It happened once,
It happened twice,
Cancel the dance
Or it will happen thrice
source.gif
this killer has bars
<5> <5> <5>

I love how the camera effects change during the kill scenes.

Drowned in a boiling pot of hot dogs..
Not even BJ Penn himself could eat his way out of this one.

Certain kills and a few scenes from this movie really stand out to me.
HANGER.PNG

I personally enjoy some of the overacting in this movie, headed by towns Sheriff.

How to kill two (love)birds with one stone:
TWOBIRDSONESTONE.PNG

They've been fighting over Blondie but I much prefer her friend tbh
feWQU6TUFqjUR_ixazmzF814Lq-C8aNUz-CaXEVypZ4IvPBPoPJSw8f_whanvVTnl3u7xq1Vt_d22tNTEmvdLbraTPNkCrhWvPsQT06zAPqhFN8sqQ

That hanging decapitation scene on the ladder
source.gif

blondie's friend:
hot, even in death
HOT IN DEATH.png
I love how he chops his arm off Saw-style at the end.
This movie is probably more influential to horror than most realize.

Axel is basically a little Dexter Morgan. Born in blood.
DEXTER JR.png

All in all, a great 80's Slasher film. And even better cause it's Canadian.
giphy.gif

Shout out to Sherdog's broken drafts button for making me re-write half of this.
TLDR: CLIFFS: Movie Good.
@BloodyNakedChoke , signing off
<RomeroSalute> <RomeroSalute> <RomeroSalute>

Last edited:
Here's some artwork and alternative movie covers I found:
My-Blood-Valentine-Pullin-620.jpg

3c72bd1486b666475b11084dd851e140.jpg

tumblr_of4bq50usE1qdkzi9o1_1280.png

X-ICQ0Cq3Ep_Eqjlr0pJYQyMLDYIbB4LzDGMuvr85wOeihlPSJr1KA7nTzNQTsYnjt3kHFp8pKKG9gWWrriog8EIK4QJu2U9gfEzPX7Y6GmkRnprT2HqLw
the original:
file_172429_0_my_bloody_valentine.jpg

Last edited:

<Oku02> <Oku02> <Oku02>

That's funny. I actually watched the 2009 version after watching this one.
Not as good, but honestly, not that bad either. Would have been cooler to see it in 3-D.

<Oku02> <Oku02> <Oku02>

That's funny. I actually watched the 2009 version after watching this one.
Not as good, but honestly, not that bad either. Would have been cooler to see it in 3-D.

From my memory is was basically the same movie but more modern right? Like they didnt really change the story did they?

From my memory is was basically the same movie but more modern right? Like they didnt really change the story did they?

More or less a remake of the original. With the 3-D twist of course.

Back