SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 141 - Roma

I am watching the movie tonight. Sorry for the delay, had a bit of a puppy issue, and when my pups are not well, my brain shuts down and this is how I feel about everything else:

giphy.gif

Now that Jalapeño is on the mend, I will watch and will pay close attention and respond to everyone tomorrow and over the weekend! Please forgive my tardiness....

giphy.gif

aww get well soon Jalapeño!
Do those have that weird American chewy stuff in them...tootsies? If so, you need

View attachment 506795

Lmao. I've never seen those before.
Tootsie pops have a chocolate center.

that nudity scene was pretty wild and awesome it was unexpected.

So... why is this movie called Roma?

it is name after colonia roma

Colonia Roma, also called La Roma or simply, Roma, is a district located in the Cuauhtémoc borough of Mexico City just west of the city's historic center, and in fact is no longer a singlecolonia (neighbourhood) but now two officially defined ones, Roma Norteand Roma Sur, divided by Coahuila street.

I am watching the movie tonight. Sorry for the delay, had a bit of a puppy issue, and when my pups are not well, my brain shuts down and this is how I feel about everything else:

giphy.gif

Now that Jalapeño is on the mend, I will watch and will pay close attention and respond to everyone tomorrow and over the weekend! Please forgive my tardiness....

giphy.gif

aww get well soon Jalapeño!
Do those have that weird American chewy stuff in them...tootsies? If so, you need

View attachment 506795

Lmao. I've never seen those before.
Tootsie pops have a chocolate center.

I think you're being generous here. That mom was a bitch who treated Cleo like shit and who took out her own frustrations and weaknesses on those around her, from chewing Cleo out to slapping her son. She wasn't aiming for anything in that moment, and she sure as fuck wasn't aiming for feminine solidarity with Cleo. She was just downloading more of her shit on whoever happened to be there, and it happened to be Cleo.
That’s pretty damn tone-deaf read. It was Cloe’s job to watch over children when mom was not around. Mom didn’t know that Cloe was just about to take the kid away when she opened the door. Instead it maybe looked like they were both eavesdropping. Cloe was treared as family most of the time.

If I'm understanding the charge correctly, then I'd say that it's misguided. He wasn't commenting on anything, so there's nothing that he missed or was unaware of in so commenting...because there was no comment. As my post indicates, that's a charge that's perhaps debatable but at least valid on its face (and I obviously think that it's 100% valid and a legitimate complaint to be leveled at the dull and pointless film). To say that there was a lack of self-awareness in the film, though, would seem to be an indicator of a political bias, i.e. because he didn't offer a commentary on subjugation/privilege/insert buzzword he's therefore unaware; it couldn't possibly be that he had different interests/intentions in making the film...
The movie is not primarily a story about politics, but about people. From Cuarón’s point of view it’s about growing up as a sensitive kid in city full of turmoil and in family that is breaking up, but having the comfort of the friendship of a caring maid.

* According to Alfonso Cuarón, ninety percent of the scenes represented in the film are scenes taken out of his memory.

Last edited:
Looks like someone’s done nice reseach on Professor Zovek thanks to Roma:

https://www.vulture.com/2018/12/who-is-roma-professor-zovek-a-bizarre-true-story.html

Edit. My take on Zovek’s role is a bit more complicated than ”reactionary operative” as described in the article. He was an entertainer from the previous generation and was being portrayed fully in sympathethic fashion even when training the paramilitary troops. Maybe adult Cuarón identified with him and saw how he could have been lured into the dark side under different circumstances.

Last edited:
Cuaron, who lives in Italy, views his childhood with longing and nostalgia even as he acknowledges how sheltered and even exploitative it was. Roma is his $15 million attempt to grapple with those ambiguous feelings. "Memory can only be approached from my standpoint as an adult," he explains. "It's sometimes misguided. All of that is going to taint the whole thing." A compact man with a fashionably disheveled mop of gray hair and an intense gaze, Cuaron doesn't shy away from the pain this process has sometimes occasioned. "I wanted to visit old wounds and come to terms with who I am," he says while meandering along Calle Tepeji, the quiet, tree-lined lane where he grew up and where he filmed certain exterior shots used in the film. "I wanted to explore the wounds that shape me, both personal and wounds that I share collectively with a country and with the world."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/f...on-revisits-mexicos-turbulent-history-1176330

I'v seen a few people comment that the family environment seems to show a lack of self awareness from Cuaron as well in terms of looking at the master/servant situation, maybe because that was the environment he was brought up in?
Nope, he’s very aware of it and the theme is tied in the movie as tightly as can be.

Cleo has just given birth to a dead baby, but surely she wants to go to the beach with us, right!?
It seemed awkward at first, but turned out to be the right call to keep her occupied and getting her to open up. She was closer to the family than to her room mate.

That’s pretty damn tone-deaf read. It was Cloe’s job to watch over children when mom was not around. Mom didn’t know that Cloe was just about to take the kid away when she opened the door. Instead it maybe looked like they were both eavesdropping. Cloe was treared as family most of the time.
It seemed awkward at first, but turned out to be the right call to keep her occupied and getting her to open up. She was closer to the family than to her room mate.

tenor.gif

And I said that @europe1 was being too generous. You're seeing that character through the rosiest rose-colored glasses IMO. How harshly she deserves to be criticized, I'm fine with debating that (after all, her marriage is falling apart), but that she deserves to be criticized doesn't seem worth debating given how obvious it is that she was often petty and petulant. I noticed in the very beginning when the family's sitting around the TV and the kid puts his arm around Cloe and that's the moment the mom tells her to go make tea for the dad. Couldn't have waited a couple of minutes? Or maybe at a commercial? And not even just for Cloe's sake, but for your kids' sake? No, I want to tell you what to do, so do what I tell you right now.

tenor.gif

Both of the parents were weak and shitty people, but, specifically regarding Cloe, the dad seemed like the type who wanted everything taken care of so he didn't have to bring it up (like the dog shit conversation) whereas the mom seemed like the type who wanted to have shit to bring up so she could tell someone what to do. Her marriage (and, by extension, her life) was unraveling and she couldn't control the tailspin, but she could at least play Queen of the House and keep the servants in line :rolleyes:

This movie is a tough watch. But the auditory and visual beauty of it, shows that Cuaron is one of the most talented directors out there. I’m reminded of Paranormal Activity 2, which used similar camera techniques seen here. There’s a quiet, bleak, dread to Roma that is enhanced through its sparse cutting contrasted with some of the imagery. I’m thinking of the crib scene, the late hospital scene or the beach scene. This movie is the epitome of show don’t tell with its densely packed frames where the eye wanders and sometimes looses track of the principals. And yet I never felt lost because every extra has a character that is doing something interesting. Roma is a movie that nails scale and is a calculatedly shot love letter.

Last edited:
tenor.gif

And I said that @europe1 was being too generous. You're seeing that character through the rosiest rose-colored glasses IMO. How harshly she deserves to be criticized, I'm fine with debating that (after all, her marriage is falling apart), but that she deserves to be criticized doesn't seem worth debating given how obvious it is that she was often petty and petulant. I noticed in the very beginning when the family's sitting around the TV and the kid puts his arm around Cloe and that's the moment the mom tells her to go make tea for the dad. Couldn't have waited a couple of minutes? Or maybe at a commercial? And not even just for Cloe's sake, but for your kids' sake? No, I want to tell you what to do, so do what I tell you right now.

tenor.gif

Both of the parents were weak and shitty people, but, specifically regarding Cloe, the dad seemed like the type who wanted everything taken care of so he didn't have to bring it up (like the dog shit conversation) whereas the mom seemed like the type who wanted to have shit to bring up so she could tell someone what to do. Her marriage (and, by extension, her life) was unraveling and she couldn't control the tailspin, but she could at least play Queen of the House and keep the servants in line :rolleyes:
Much what you have written is part of the ambivalence that makes the movie truely great. Sure, mom treats Cloe like the help, but that’s because she IS the help. And still she was a person loved by the family. That paradox is what the movie is most deeply about.

The mother was a strong and caring person and I admired how she handled everything on the whole even though at moments she was not that considerate. Regarding the details, I feel like our opinions are too far apart and I don’t think I have the patience to walk you through mine.

upload_2019-1-18_21-48-12.jpeg

Last edited:
I was transfixed by his flying penis. It kinda pisses me off. I don't think women react the same way to seeing other nude women like men react to full on unit exposure.

I have no way of objectively knowing that, but I agree that this statement is 100% true.

Then it occurred to me, that his staff, was his weapon.

th

Alfonso Cuarón missed a perfect opportunity for foreshadowing their military involvement by not making that reference when they were having their training.

Then at the end of the film as Cleo climbs the stairs we see the plane again. Damn you Roma plane that I can't understand, damn you to hell.

From the IMDB trivia:

"Alfonso Cuarón decided to shoot on location in Mexico City instead of using a soundstage. This is one reason for the several appearances of airplanes, because according to Cuarón they had a plane passing by every five minutes."

As someone who lives right under an aeroplane-route, I sympathize.

I felt there was also the repeated idea of birth and rebirth, or birth and death. A few examples follow.

1. When they were at the party celebrating New Year's eve, it was the birth of a new year, and the death was the forest catching on fire.

2. When Cleo was shopping for a crib it was for the birth of her baby, the death in that scene was a shooting victim.

3. The dog heads on the wall even implies that once one dies, you get another.

4. When the mom takes the kids and Cleo to the beach she confesses in the restaurant that "dad isn't coming back home", which is the death of their marriage/family, then Cleo saves the kids from drowning in the ocean and herself becomes a part of the extended family. So we get a dual birth/death here because its the death of the marriage, but the birth of the new family unit, including Cleo, but also Cleo confesses she didn't want the baby, which died, just after saving the kids from drowning to give them another chance at life. During this particular sequence we also get a very awesome shot of the kids sadly eating ice-cream after they found out their parents are being divorced while in the background of the scene a wedding is taking place. Fuck, wish I could find a pic of that.

5. Lastly, I think there is also some birth/rebirth, birth/death messages to do with the political climate of the time but I don't know what was going on in Mexico in the 1970's well enough to point it out. Obviously, one such example was the protestors (a new beginning or change) and the ones paid to kill them.

Except for the Divorce/Wedding scene, this completely flew over my head. Well done MusterX

tenor.gif

It's definitely not a good sign when the only redeeming quality of an artsy-fartsy movie that takes itself super cereal is the unintentional hilarity of a scene where a guy does the 1970s Mexican version of "I train UFC" and proceeds to show his Napoleon Dynamite "great skills" bare ass naked.

I hope that in 40 years someone will make a movie about our time and have a hilarious "get in my guard, bro" segment

method=get&s=butt-scoot.gif

is the unintentional hilarity of a scene .

Unintentional?

The hilarity of that scene seemed pretty intentional to me.

The dude's nakid!

I think you're being generous here. That mom was a bitch who treated Cleo like shit and who took out her own frustrations and weaknesses on those around her, from chewing Cleo out to slapping her son. She wasn't aiming for anything in that moment, and she sure as fuck wasn't aiming for feminine solidarity with Cleo. She was just downloading more of her shit on whoever happened to be there, and it happened to be Cleo.

To reiterate my position, I'm just saying that she was "aiming" for solidarity. Not that she actually succeeded or that said spur came from a worthwhile place. The fact that mom says "us women" gives the impression that Sofia wants to be inclusive with Cleo at this moment. The problem is just that Sofia does it in such a tone-deaf, blind, egotistical and drunken manner that it utterly fails to be a moment of solidarity and just becomes another instance of -- as you say -- Sofia unloading her shit onto Cleo. The ego-intention is solidarity but the function is shit.

If I'm understanding the charge correctly, then I'd say that it's misguided. He wasn't commenting on anything, so there's nothing that he missed or was unaware of in so commenting...because there was no comment. As my post indicates, that's a charge that's perhaps debatable but at least valid on its face (and I obviously think that it's 100% valid and a legitimate complaint to be leveled at the dull and pointless film). To say that there was a lack of self-awareness in the film, though, would seem to be an indicator of a political bias, i.e. because he didn't offer a commentary on subjugation/privilege/insert buzzword he's therefore unaware; it couldn't possibly be that he had different interests/intentions in making the film...

What sort of definition of "commenting" are you using?

To me, it seemed pretty obvious that the comment of the film was about the dynamic of how maids where handled in 70's Mexico. The casual neglect, the blindness of privilege, the helplessness of their position in regard to a crisis, and the fact that emotional bonds still developed between maids/families.

Mom didn’t know that Cloe was just about to take the kid away when she opened the door. Instead it maybe looked like they were both eavesdropping.

There are numerous instances of them blaming Cleo for something unjustly or them just being blind/uncaring to Cleo's needs (dog-shit, eavesdropping, not wanting to be her doctor, not giving her support after her stillborn baby). The eavesdropping scene doesn't happen in a vacuum. I think this is there to communicate that due to Cleo's low position in the hierarchy, she's often thoughtlessly blamed for stuff by more powerful members of the family. Especially in emotional situations.

She got to "open up" because she and the children had just gone through the trauma of a near-death experience. If there needs to be a near-death experience to open up or receive affection from the family, then that indicates a pretty fucked-up situation.

Thinking about it, I kind of hate that about this movie. Cleo's climactic rapprochement with the family is due to a completely accidental situation where she saves their lives. She suffers, and suffers, and suffers -- while the family learns nothing systematic about the predicament of her situation, and then because of a complete accident that has nothing to do with the family coming to know or understand her as a person, they learn to love her (while still not knowing her).

If your major turning point can be boiled down to something completely accidental, then that speaks badly about it. Maybe that was the point Alfonso wanted to make, they learn nothing but still love her. But if that was the message he wanted to send, then he should have made their love much more bittersweet and problematic -- instead of the happy-looking ending that we get. Because, again, this indicates a pretty fucked-up situation.

As I mentioned, this seems like the good suffering little Christian archetype from Victorian fiction who gets a redemption because of her suffering without actually changing anything systemic about the situation.

God, talking about this movie makes me want to kick a chair or something:mad:. I hope @BeardotheWeirdo is going to be as angry as I am over all of this.

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

BSU1.gif

There are numerous instances of them blaming Cleo for something unjustly or them just being blind/uncaring to Cleo's needs (dog-shit, eavesdropping, not wanting to be her doctor, not giving her support after her stillborn baby). The eavesdropping scene doesn't happen in a vacuum. I think this is there to communicate that due to Cleo's low position in the hierarchy, she's often thoughtlessly blamed for stuff by more powerful members of the family. Especially in emotional situations.

She got to "open up" because she and the children had just gone through the trauma of a near-death experience. If there needs to be a near-death experience to open up or receive affection from the family, then that indicates a pretty fucked-up situation.
Cloe was given the family doctor in an expensive private hospital, who was probably just about the best care you could get in the whole city. They were going to buy her a cradle. All this after Cloe was scared of being fired because of pregnancy, which I suppose was the common solution back then in similar situation. I think mom went the extra mile. Mom not giving support after stillborn baby? Cloe got basically invited to be a family member. What better support is there? Saying that you’re sorry? What good is that going to do? Family’s income was about to be cut probably more than half and she was still not only willing to keep employing Cloe, who’s ability to actually do a full time job was about to be seriously compromised, but to show her maybe the most volurnable moment of her life: Telling her children about the divorce. Mom used this time of deep crisis wisely to create a new family. I think she knew about the bond between Cloe and the youngest kid and that kid would help Cloe to heal up and Cloe would help the kid to cope with the divorce.

As I said before, I was not fond of the climax. I didn’t like it storywise and I think it was to get the movie a cathartic ending, but it didn’t undo all the good that the mom had done to Cloe. Do you think you would have done better in that situation? Getting humilated by your husband and having to explain your kids the situation and finding a new better paid job to support the family and taking care of an employee in crisis and all this during times when people were getting shot in the streets. Could have been a bit stressful. I personally can start barking or yelling at people for less that that.

First I get bum rushed by Bullitt68 and then trolled by you. I can't believe this subject is so touchy...

Borras the dog better not die...
They've said his name several times aloud.
And now I have an emotional attachment to him.

Me too. I noticed that the only person to interact with him was Cleo. And then on minute 1:10 one of the kids finally played with him. Glad he survived unscathed. He sure pooped a lot though. Dogs usually only go once a day, maybe twice. He was trashing that entryway on a regular basis.

Oh. The Dad took off. Great.
Whatever happened to loyalty & family?
Fuck that guy.

Yep. He certainly turned out a be a real POS. Especially in the final scene where he threatened her. Made me mad, since he said he was a martial artist. Clearly he didn't truly understand what that should mean. One of my favorite scenes was his naked staff work though. That was impressive and unexpected. I was particularly entertained when he did his little jump. Talk about confidence and composure. I have clearly not seen enough men in my life practicing their forms naked!

I've felt like tragedy was imminent since the start of this movie.

Me too. I only skimmed over comments before watching to gauge responses but also to try and avoid spoilers, as this was the only film I nominated that I haven't seen, and someone commented they were happy they did not watch it with their pregnant wife. This made me totally nervous. Plus there were several scenes that foreshadowed the outcome including the earthquakes while she was looking at the babies, and then when the drink got spilled on Cleo when they were drinking to the health of the baby. I did think that now in US hospitals, you would't just be able to walk up to the newborn ward to look at babies through a window.

Some cool lookin cars in this movie.

Yes. Plus the use of the car as a status symbol. It was always weird for me to come to the US and see how the cars where two to three times bigger than the ones in Spain. My uncle had one of those long cars with the really long boot and the wood paneling.

upload_2019-1-19_13-25-38.jpeg

I loved it when he picked us up at the airport in Boston in it, coz I could stretch out and sleep the whole way to Cape Cod. In this movie the cars were a total status symbol, the point being driven home by the inconvenience of trying to park it in a space that was clearly not designed for that type of monstrosity. I was amused at how the wife took her frustrations out on the husband with the car.

A little bit of civil unrest, eh?
That shot from the second floor glass window of the riots is really cool.

This movie took place during the Dirty War in Mexico. The government was being controlled by the US backed PRI party. They were repressive and violent and an estimated 3000 people disappeared during the 70s at the hands of the government. There are a lot of studies out there that show how repressive and abusive this regime was. We see the military presence throughout the movie. One thing I was not sure about was what was going on in this scene. It looked like a protest where the military attacked the crowd. I wasn't sure why Fermín was involved. He wasn't military, yet he was part of the group that came in and shot the civilians protestors who were fleeing. I'll have to look into this.

Back