• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 103: The Ritual

I think that's part of the witch craft, no?

Same kinda thing in Blair witch.

I mean, I guess. . .

That's the only explanation I can come up with that makes any sense, beyond simply poor writing.

Or maybe it's some of both, because it seems like they would've had a scene or two where one of the characters is like, "Weren't we just here?" or "What the hell, are we going around in circles?" to set it up.

Because as it worked out, it wasn't effective for me. I was just confused.

I think that's part of the witch craft, no?

Same kinda thing in Blair witch.

Yea that was my opinion of it as well. They were led in a sort of supernatural way back to that spot same as in Blair Witch when they couldn't find their way out of the forest.

Creepy as fuck.

Did you know that the books were reissued a little while back with new illustrations because apparently they thought the older illustrations were too frightening for kids?

Total bullshit.

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...ries-to-tell-in-the-dark-gammell-vs-helquist/

Yeah, I did see that. What’s up with that? I read these as a kid, and the drawings were the most memorable part. A generation of kids survived just fine with these books being out in the public, and apparently a new generation can’t handle them in their original form?

In Dusty Rhodes voice, “That’s soft times!”

Yeah, I did see that. What’s up with that? I read these as a kid, and the drawings were the most memorable part. A generation of kids survived just fine with these books being out in the public, and apparently a new generation can’t handle them in their original form?

In Dusty Rhodes voice, “That’s soft times!”

Dude, I don't know, but it's dumb.

I think that there are powerful forces at work that are intent on ensuring the pussyfication and pacification of today's youth.

I think they just want all boys to be gender-bending metrosexuals.

I’ve given it some thought. Along with a couple other outlines I’ve jotted down. I just struggle with finding the confidence.

I hear ya. It’s easier to come up with ideas and the skeleton of the stories, but when it comes time to put pen to paper and flesh it out, it all of a sudden becomes not fun anymore. I speak from experience.

This is a slippery slope argument for me because once you start applying this mindset to a particular movie, then you either have to stay consistent with that when watching other movies, or just contradict yourself. We all dislike certain movies, or aspects about certain movies for one reason or another.

Well... I think it's important to be cognizant of the difference between movies when you do that. The Ritual is a genre-movie and it has "flaws" that are well-anchored in genre tradition. It's flaws are part of the package. Such an issue would have been more damaging in a movie that, say, purports to be more "realistic" or tries to be more documentary-like.

I immediately thought of a drawing from those Scary Stories To Tell in the Dark books from the 90s.

Your horror books had drawings!?

Lovecraft's "woodeness" if you want to put it that way, is really just his style, and it may have been a symptom of the time period.

Actually, what is so funny about Lovecraft is that his style was antiquated even in his own time period. Even when he was alive people were calling for him to modernize his prose. I've read that he basically grew up a hermit and that his companionship in life was an old library -- which I suspect may have influenced his writting-decisions.

In fact, Clive Barker, Dean Koontz and virtually every other modern horror writer bows to H.P. Lovecraft.

What's your favorite Lovecraft story, btw?

I'm pretty standard in what I like --The Call of Cthulhu followed by Shadows over Innsmouth.

His death was a horror in itself. He died in poverty, never recognized during his lifetime for his contribution and is now considered one of the most influential horror writers of all time

Hey, at least Lovecraft had a humongous revival and is now one of the biggest names in horror. Not everyone gets that.

Other writers, like say William Hope Hodgson (whom actually preceded Lovecraft and pioneered many of the Cosmic Horror tropes that Lovecraft was famous for) is still almost forgotten expect by the truly diehards. Lovecraft himself was a fan of Hodgson. Though even Lovecraft complained about Hodgson's shitty prose.:D

But popularity is a fickle and weird thing. When Lovecraft was alive -- the Stephen King of his day was Lord Dunsany. Lovecraft was a huge fan of Dunsany and his worst stories are basically pastiches of Dunsany work (like a lot of the Dreamlands hulabaloo).

Today however -- while Lord Dunsany isn't excactly forgotten -- Lovecraft easily towers above him. despite the fact that Dunsany was ginormously more popular than Lovecraft in their own timeperiod.

Makes you wonder whom will be remembered in the future. King might be completely forgotten while some slob working in utter obscurity is the next Lovecraft. Staying-power is a beast of it's own.

I think that, at the risk of ending up on @europe1's enemy list

Oh don't worry -- you've been there ever since you forced us to watch a documentary.;)

What I will give it the most credit for is its technical proficiency. On a technical level, it's very well made. The cinematography, the creature effects, those weird juxtaposition scenes that would merge the forest and the liquor store, and just the overall production design were all really good, A-level kind of shit. No doubt about that.

Damit man! That's all genre stories need!

I don't know about you guys. But I love genres because of their tropes and settings. Just setting an eerie mood captures my attention. Some movies are fine just being atmosphere-pieces. Crafty narratives is just a bonus with films like that. You can delve headlong into the cliche-swamp if your technical execution and acting/writing is on-point.

who died at age 53 and probably suffered from some form of psychosis.

Probably? Probably!? PROBABLY!?

Dude saw fucking astral visions. He wrote stories doped up on amphetamine. He believed that his wife was a alien-impostor sent to spy on him. Dude had psychosises shooting out of his ass!:D

It reminds me of Philip K. Dick, one of my all time favorites

So what's your favorite Dick story?

Mine is probably The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. I think it's the novel where Dick best mastered his visions of living in an unreality.

I hear ya. It’s easier to come up with ideas and the skeleton of the stories, but when it comes time to put pen to paper and flesh it out, it all of a sudden becomes not fun anymore. I speak from experience.

Yeah. Prose is a bitch. It seems so easy when you're reading it but actually putting in the labor is torture.

Seeing as plenty of club-members seems to dig true murder stories -- and this film being a movie about a Swedish pagan murder-cult, I'd thought I'd do a write-up on the real-life murder cult that existed in Sweden, which was also a Heavy Metal band.

dissection%20-%20pic%202.jpg

Dissection was a heavy-metal band whose members belonged to the satanic-pagan cult Temple of the Black Light. The cult freely mixed Luciferian and Pagan notions into a gnostic Chaos-theology about a primordial realm of darkness and chaos that existed outside our dimensions. The bands lyrics are based on the esoteric teachings of the Temple -- Dissection basically working as an arm of the Temple of the Black Light.

Here is my favorite songs of theirs. Notice the references to Chaos and the various esoteric names being howled maniacally in mid-chorus.

Anyways, for some time the cult had been diving deeper and deeper into the notion of practicing blood-sacrifices to appease their Dark Chaos Gods. They had been discussing victims. Reportedly, one of the band members girlfriends had been a key nomination.

The actual killing happen spontaneously through. The bands lead singer Jon Nödtveidt alongside a cult-member simply named Vlad (he was an Iranian who changed his name) one night had entered a bar. There they meet a man named Josef ben Meddour.

maxresdefault.jpg

Jon Nödtveidt

Josef was an gay Algerian immigrant who had moved to Sweden to avoid persecution back home. He was apparently quite drunk and rambunctious at the bar. Unlike the sort of American Satanism created by Anton LaVey (Church of Satan) the Temple of the Black Light wasn't cool with homosexuality at all. On the spot -- they decided to sacrifice him.

This is typical Arab luck by the way. You emigrate to another continent just to avoid one set of religious extremist only to be killed by another set of religious extremists for the exact same reason.

Anyways, somehow Jon and Vlad had compeled Josef to follow them. They led him to a nearby park, where the blood sacrifice was to take place. Vlad had with him a taser with which they had intended to immobilize the man with. However, apparently, tasers don't work in reality as they do in movies.

Vlad stunned Josef... whom feel stunned to the ground and then got up and started running away. Vlad then brought out his gun that he had with him and shoot Josef in the back, felling him. Jon took the pistol -- and finished off with a neck-shoot.

I'm sure the Chaos-Gods were mighty disappointed in their disciples.

Anyways, the case was solved when Vlad's girlfriend contacted the police. He had been raping and abusing her for years which prompted her to contact the authorities (not to mention him having talked about sacrificing her too). In a drunken stupor, Vlad had bragged to her about killing the man -- and that was all she needed to know. Dumb criminals, amirite?

When the police searched Vlad's apartment, they found severed human body parts hidden in the home, though these were most likely bought. Jon and Vlad were charged and imprisoned and the cult disbanded in the following tumult.

Years later, when Jon had served his prison sentance, he comitted ritual suicide by blowing his brains out inside a circle of lit candles. At his feet lay a satanic grimoire. The runes of the Chaos Gods having been scribbled all about the room. He told his friends he was going to Transylvania.

I guess the Chaos Gods got their sacrifice after all.

Some years ago I meet this heavy metal guy who had been a fan of Dissection. He told me the event absolutely sucked. Ever since then he has had nothing to listen to.:D

Your horror books had drawings!?

Yeah, these books were freaky as hell.

Scary-768x401.jpg

Well... I think it's important to be cognizant of the difference between movies when you do that. The Ritual is a genre-movie and it has "flaws" that are well-anchored in genre tradition. It's flaws are part of the package. Such an issue would have been more damaging in a movie that, say, purports to be more "realistic" or tries to be more documentary-like.

I can’t really disagree with this because you have a good point. For some reason I tend to hold horror movies, specifically those that try to be genuinely scary, under a microscope, moreso than say ones that lean heavier on comedy or action. If a horror film is banking on instilling genuine scares and serious dread, then I have less patience for flimsy storytelling.
I was with this movie until it reached the sacrificing/worshipper angle, which felt rushed and tacked on to me.

It’s like eating something and saying, “Ya know, this isn’t bad, but there’s something in it that gives it a weird aftertaste. With a little tweak, this could be pretty good.”

“Oh...well, it’s probably the poison we put in it that you’re tasting.”

“What, poison?! But why?!

“We’re tired of you shitting on the movies we watch here.”

“Ack! You can’t kill me! Cough, choke, hack! I’ll be back and more powerful than ever...gurgle...hehhhhh...

It’s like eating something and saying, “Ya know, this isn’t bad, but there’s something in it that gives it a weird aftertaste. With a little tweak, this could be pretty good.”

“Oh...well, it’s probably the poison we put in it that you’re tasting.”

“What, poison?! But why?!

“We’re tired of you shitting on the movies we watch here.”

“Ack! You can’t kill me! Cough, choke, hack! I’ll be back and more powerful than ever...gurgle...hehhhhh...

upload_2018-4-28_22-35-16.jpeg

You are now contractually obligated to have a zombie theme because of having said this.

Last edited:
Yea, I figured probably a 50/50 chance of that because you aren't really a horror genre guy. I will say this. You have to stack horror up with its peers and not film in general, at least IMO, because its difficult to make good horror. The Ritual is not in the league of The Exorcist or The Shining but it sure as shit exceeds about a thousand other horror films, which are generally, poorly made films. I did really like it but then again horror is one of my favorite genres and I've seen so many bad ones that when a descent one comes along that I should probably give a 7, I give it a 8 because its rare to even see a descent horror film.

I mean really, if you name Top 10 horror shit starts to get thin by the time you get to 10 but if you say name your Top 10 Thrillers, well, there are a shit ton of awesome thrillers. I really did like The Ritual. One thing that I noticed looking back is that when the guys get to the edge of the forest they stop and set up a rock cairn and put their dead friends picture on it and then they all take a drink then they pour the rest of the drink out. I realized that is a ritual. They did a ritual to their dead friend who was murdered.

Then you combine that with this.

According to The Ritual, ancient Scandinavian people who were burdened by emotional pain were sometimes granted an otherworldly escape—their gods sent a nameless beast to ease their suffering. The beast gave every tortured person a choice: Submit and worship it for life, or die in unimaginable pain.

I was connecting the name of the film with the ritual of the forest people but really, the ritual we maybe should have key'ed in on was the ritual that the 4 guys made to their dead friend just as they entered the forest.

You and me are friends now

If you ever need anything let me know

Seeing as plenty of club-members seems to dig true murder stories -- and this film being a movie about a Swedish pagan murder-cult, I'd thought I'd do a write-up on the real-life murder cult that existed in Sweden, which was also a Heavy Metal band.

Dissection was a heavy-metal band whose members belonged to the satanic-pagan cult Temple of the Black Light. The cult freely mixed Luciferian and Pagan notions into a gnostic Chaos-theology about a primordial realm of darkness and chaos that existed outside our dimensions. The bands lyrics are based on the esoteric teachings of the Temple -- Dissection basically working as an arm of the Temple of the Black Light.

Here is my favorite songs of theirs. Notice the references to Chaos and the various esoteric names being howled maniacally in mid-chorus.

Anyways, for some time the cult had been diving deeper and deeper into the notion of practicing blood-sacrifices to appease their Dark Chaos Gods. They had been discussing victims. Reportedly, one of the band members girlfriends had been a key nomination.

The actual killing happen spontaneously through. The bands lead singer Jon Nödtveidt alongside a cult-member simply named Vlad (he was an Iranian who changed his name) one night had entered a bar. There they meet a man named Josef ben Meddour.

maxresdefault.jpg

Jon Nödtveidt

Josef was an gay Algerian immigrant who had moved to Sweden to avoid persecution back home. He was apparently quite drunk and rambunctious at the bar. Unlike the sort of American Satanism created by Anton LaVey (Church of Satan) the Temple of the Black Light wasn't cool with homosexuality at all. On the spot -- they decided to sacrifice him.

This is typical Arab luck by the way. You emigrate to another continent just to avoid one set of religious extremist only to be killed by another set of religious extremists for the exact same reason.

Anyways, somehow Jon and Vlad had compeled Josef to follow them. They led him to a nearby park, where the blood sacrifice was to take place. Vlad had with him a taser with which they had intended to immobilize the man with. However, apparently, tasers don't work in reality as they do in movies.

Vlad stunned Josef... whom feel stunned to the ground and then got up and started running away. Vlad then brought out his gun that he had with him and shoot Josef in the back, felling him. Jon took the pistol -- and finished off with a neck-shoot.

Anyways, the case was solved when Vlad's girlfriend contacted the police. He had been raping and abusing her for years which prompted her to contact the authorities (not to mention him having talked about sacrificing her too). In a drunken stupor, Vlad had bragged to her about killing the man -- and that was all she needed to know. Dumb criminals, amirite?

When the police searched Vlad's apartment, they found severed human body parts hidden in the home, though these were most likely bought. Jon and Vlad were charged and imprisoned and the cult disbanded in the following tumult.

Years later, when Jon had served his prison sentance, he comitted ritual suicide by blowing his brains out inside a circle of lit candles. At his feet lay a satanic grimoire. The runes of the Chaos Gods having been scribbled all about the room. He told his friends he was going to Transylvania.

Some years ago I meet this heavy metal guy who had been a fan of Dissection. He told me the event absolutely sucked. Ever since then he has had nothing to listen to.:D

Funny. I tried to get the record label I worked at back in 1993 to sign Dissection and market their first record that was just about to be released by No Fashion Records. Dudes I worked for thought Black Metal was stupid and passed. I didn't really disagree, but there was something about 'em I really liked at the time.

The irony is they had to work with the band later due to a licensing agreement it Dissection became far more popular than most of the stuff they did choose to sign. Not that all my recommendations were good. :oops:

Actually, what is so funny about Lovecraft is that his style was antiquated even in his own time period. Even when he was alive people were calling for him to modernize his prose. I've read that he basically grew up a hermit and that his companionship in life was an old library -- which I suspect may have influenced his writting-decisions.

What's your favorite Lovecraft story, btw?

I'm pretty standard in what I like --The Call of Cthulhu followed by Shadows over Innsmouth.

Hey, at least Lovecraft had a humongous revival and is now one of the biggest names in horror. Not everyone gets that.

Other writers, like say William Hope Hodgson (whom actually preceded Lovecraft and pioneered many of the Cosmic Horror tropes that Lovecraft was famous for) is still almost forgotten expect by the truly diehards. Lovecraft himself was a fan of Hodgson. Though even Lovecraft complained about Hodgson's shitty prose.:D

But popularity is a fickle and weird thing. When Lovecraft was alive -- the Stephen King of his day was Lord Dunsany. Lovecraft was a huge fan of Dunsany and his worst stories are basically pastiches of Dunsany work (like a lot of the Dreamlands hulabaloo).

Today however -- while Lord Dunsany isn't excactly forgotten -- Lovecraft easily towers above him. despite the fact that Dunsany was ginormously more popular than Lovecraft in their own timeperiod.

Makes you wonder whom will be remembered in the future. King might be completely forgotten while some slob working in utter obscurity is the next Lovecraft. Staying-power is a beast of it's own.

Lovecraft apparently wrote in a style of writing from the 1800's or something, I can't remember exactly what its called but I've read about it before in the past. Here is something about H.P. Lovecraft that just cracks me the fuck up for some reason because I can picture him saying this. He believed that you should never use compound nouns such as viewpoint, or upkeep, because they were barbarous.

th

Another thing that set him off was writers who confuse its with it's. Anyway, I found this while reading an article that was interesting about why he chose to write in that style.

When people begin to read HP Lovecraft, they are often intimidated by his use of language. Lovecraft was in love with history and it is reflected in his antiquated use of language. This language was considered “old-fashioned” even during his life. Lovecraft’s use of this language accentuates the ancient magic that his writings examine.

But HP Lovecraft’s unique style doesn’t stem purely from his love of antiquated linguistics. Lovecraft also had a unique style of description. During NecronomiCon 2013, speaker after speaker discussed Lovecraft’s ability to both call something indescribable while then going on to describe it. He uses a great deal of adjectives without ever painting a clear picture. And while this can be frustrating for readers, it is done in order to emphasize Lovecraft’s ideas of the unnameable, the indescribable, and the unspeakable.

I always get this feel of the ancient and unspeakable when reading Lovecraft but struggle to pinpoint exactly how it is that he accomplishes that in such an unique way. Part of that was his antiquated style of writing, pulling from the past to give it that flavor. He was also famously quoted as saying, "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear. And the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." — Lovecraft on horror.

So he used an antiquated literary style and then somehow described the indescribable and spoke of the unspeakable. If you were to give that as a writing assignment to college students they would be screwed. Its a TALL order and really why Lovecraft was respected after his death. As far as my favorite, I don't really have a favorite, same with film. I've seen thousands of films, I have 100 favorites. Many of Lovecraft's short stories are deep, dark, dank, works of literature. Dagon, The Statement of Randolf Carter, The Naeless City, The Music of Erich Zann, The Hound, all awesome stuff in my estimation.

I also like this.

In 1927, Lovecraft wrote a brief pseudo-history of the Necronomicon that was published in 1938, after his death, as "History of the Necronomicon". According to this account, the book was originally called Al Azif, an Arabic word that Lovecraft defined as "that nocturnal sound (made by insects) supposed to be the howling of demons"

That statement above is a great example of why Lovecraft is different than almost anyone else. There is a modern day cult built around the Necronomicon and they believe it to be a magical book that can be used to summon demons. I shit you not, that's real.

View attachment 374191

You are now contractually obligated to have a zombie theme because of having said this.

I was actually thinking that we kinda just stopped doing the thing where we gave theme suggestions for the movie chooser of the week.

I’m open to theme suggestions for when my week rolls around. A zombie week is intriguing.

maxresdefault.jpg

Jon Nödtveidt

Man, what’s up with Scandanavian death metal groups shooting each other and themselves? I remember when thinking Ozzy peeing on the Alamo was hardcore.

Officially taking theme suggestions now.

Movies europe1 would like

Genres not previously feutured on the SMC

Favorite female characters

Water movies

WW1

Best duos

Or do you favorite movies

images

Last edited:
Oh don't worry -- you've been there ever since you forced us to watch a documentary.;)

Note to self: Make sure my next go-around is an all-doc week just to annoy europe1.

Damit man! That's all genre stories need!

I don't know about you guys. But I love genres because of their tropes and settings. Just setting an eerie mood captures my attention. Some movies are fine just being atmosphere-pieces. Crafty narratives is just a bonus with films like that. You can delve headlong into the cliche-swamp if your technical execution and acting/writing is on-point.

I can kind of feel you on this. As a big fan of adventure stories, I don't think I'd mind if most future movies in the genre just blatantly copied Indiana Jones and slapped a different name on it. When I watch movies like that, there are certain genre conventions that I hope to see: mysterious artifacts, a Middle-Eastern setting (often Egypt), puzzles that have to get solved, a relatively light and fun tone, etc.

But yeah, I dunno, this film just didn't really hold my interest. On a story level, I did not find it too compelling.

Back