SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 89 movie!

Cycle 6 / Week 3: Pick the martial arts movie with a theme!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gee, considering three were made in the late 80s/early 90s and one ten years ago, I wonder which one you're referring to.

Meh. It was clearly leading and going to win before I even voted. There was no need to be enigmatic.

We have a winner!

chocolate.jpg

It was obvious pretty early on that this race was over but now it's official.

I'm a bit disappointed that we're not going to get to discuss Best of the Best, but this was my second choice so it's all good.

All right, well you guys know what to do. Wednesday it is!

Attn: @shadow_priest_x @europe1 @jeicex @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Caveat @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @jasonrest29 @Bullitt68

I was fairly confident this one would win because I figured most of our participants hadn't seen it before. It's a trip.

Now be advised, this is the film titled Chocolate that was made in 2008/9. It's Thai, and it was directed by the same guy that directed Ong Bak. It's not the Indian one, British one, Nepali one, or other one.

Edit: Its alternate title is not Magnolia, but it was released by Magnolia Pictures. Thanks youtube.

Last edited:
I guess its alternative title is Magnolia.
Where did you read this?

On wiki it says the alternate title is Zen, Warrior Within. That's a fucking awful title. As far as I can gather the original title is the Thai word for chocolate.

Where did you read this?

On wiki it says the alternate title is Zen, Warrior Within. That's a fucking awful title. As far as I can gather the original title is the Thai word for chocolate.
Youtube.

Although upon future review, the Magnolia in its title is actually the indicator that it was released by Magnolia Pictures.

The Bride with the White Hair (Romeo and Juliet and swords vs a cult)

So we where *this* close to getting The Bride with White Hair into the Sherdog Movie Club? I'm honestly a bit sad that that didn't happen.

Kill Bill Vol. 2 (because everyone always talks about the first)

If you're going to feauture Kill Bill then you might as well feuture the film that inspired it, Lady Snowblood.

1200x630bb.jpg

Three movies immediately came to mind for this one.

WHAT? TO FANCY TO FEATURE ANGELFIST!!?

MV5BMTc0ODg1Mjc4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODE2MTcyMQ@@._V1_UX140_CR0,0,140,209_AL_.jpg

And where's my cavalcade of Cynthia Rothrock pictures!?:D

Why @jeicex picked it: Two brothers, in a van, and then a meteor hits. And they ran as fast as they could from giant cat monsters, and then a giant tornado came. And that's when things got knocked into twelfth gear...A Mexican armada shows up, with weapons made from tomatoes. And you better bet your bottom dollar that these two brothers know how to handle business. Hold on, there's more. Old women are coming, and they're also in the movie and they're gonna come and cross attack these two brothers. But let's get back to the brothers, because they have a strong bond. You don't wanna know about it here, but I'll tell you one thing. The Moon, it comes crashing into Earth, and what do you do then? It's called Two Brothers.

132414.gif

Does @MusterX want any theme suggestions? Or is he going his own way?

Does @MusterX want any theme suggestions? Or is he going his own way?

I already have something planned but in all fairness if someone posts a theme that I think is better than mine I'll consider it.

I already have something planned but in all fairness if someone posts a theme that I think is better than mine I'll consider it.
Hmm. How about...unreliable narrators?

Hmm. How about...unreliable narrators?

Hmm, I'll have to consider that. Strangely, one of the movies I'm considering contains an unreliable narrator. I'll do what almost never happens, I'll give you the sneak peak at the theme I'm considering. I won't say the movies, just the theme.

Movies based on a true story.

Hmm, I'll have to consider that. Strangely, one of the movies I'm considering contains an unreliable narrator. I'll do what almost never happens, I'll give you the sneak peak at the theme I'm considering. I won't say the movies, just the theme.

I nominate movies with toga parties. Wonder which three movies would lose to Animal House. :D

TheDisastorArtistTeaserPoster.jpg

tumblr_m37go7mT0Z1r9rjs4.gif

I nominate movies with toga parties. Wonder which three movies would lose to Animal House. :D

Caligula, obviously.

Followed by Caligula: The Untold Story, Caligula and Messalina and... and... uhh... Messalina Messalina I suppose.

Dat poster though

s592

When it comes out on DVD, if no one else has gotten to it by then, I'll nominate this and make some sort of a "return to old picks" thing out of it, where we hit The Room first and then this.

The theme for that could be "films that followed one of our picks" - not just sequels, but remakes, spiritual successors, spinoffs, influences, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back