SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 79 movie!

Cycle 5 / Week 5: Pick the movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why do you like it so much?

Ok, why do I like Embrace of the Serpent.

Well, obviously because I think it is a brilliant film and as I said back when it was first released, an instant classic in my mind :p

From a strictly visual standpoint the film is absolutely beautiful. I really like the choice of black and white and everything just looks incredibly crisp and sharp, especially in the dense jungle (which is why they opted for the camera they did), the cinematography is great.

embrace-of-the-serpent-20151796.jpg

But obviously the story and style of the film itself is the main reason I love it. At the most basic level the idea of a journey down river is in a similar vein to classic films that I love like Apocalypse Now and, most especially, Aguirre The Wrath of God and Fitzcarraldo (in terms of the colonialist aspects of those stories, and while I am at it Heart of Darkness is one of my all-time favourite books). So I love the way in which this film picks up that existing concept and inverts it into a different type of narrative which is 'on the side' of the indigenous population so to speak. Not that those other films/books aren't anti-colonialist too, but it's not from a distinctly native perspective. There is also a certain, well some reviewers call it psychedelic, aspect of the film (and drugs are part of the film) and I suppose that's accurate but I would prefer to say it also has a kind of spiritual or mystical element to it. If that doesn't sound too cheesy, but even if it does I don't care. I don't want to talk too much about it and spoil the film for anyone though, not that it will be selected this week lol.

Chopper is a great film.

What’s this?! I don’t get a vote?!

That’s it, a maloik on all of you!

tenor.gif

My extra vote for Chopper would have totally been important. It could have changed the time-space continuum.

Doomed you all are! Doomed, I tell ya!

Looking forward to this. Was my vote. I have not seen bronson yet but you guys say its similar. I want to see bronson too if you recommend it

Looking forward to this. Was my vote. I have not seen bronson yet but you guys say its similar. I want to see bronson too if you recommend it

Bronson's pretty wild. You should definitely give it a look. Crazy performance from Tom Hardy.

Back