• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 149 movie!

SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 149 movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
lmao

I started to read Trainspotting the novel. It's filled with so much Scots vocabulary, slang, and phonetically spelled words (phonetically spelled according to how a Scot would say it) that it made for a rather challenging read. There was even an extensive glossary in the back.

All Irvine Welsh's books are like that. It definitely takes some getting used to.

If you like it, I strongly recommend Maribou Stork Nightmares and Glue from him as well. Acid House and Ecstasy are really good too.

In Maribou Stork Nightmares, on top of the phonetic slang, the character is in a coma, so you have the words of the people talking to him outside of his text, and the whole story is told through him reliving his life in his mind, writing a new story in his mind (which represents who he wishes he was) and the voices trying to coax him out of the coma. Got to really pay attention to that one, but they all tie together in the end. It's pretty damn impressive.

And in Glue the story is told from the main character, and a different text for the parasite in his stomach, which represents his bottled up trauma. Irvine's a clever dude.

• Anything by Tinto Brass

You're just saying that to jerk my head around.

5. Aguirre: The Wrath of God (1972)

Funnily enough, there is another movie from 1972 also called The Wrath of God. It has Robert Mitchum as a priest Tommy-gunning people to death in Mexico.

MV5BNzU4OTA0NGEtODk5ZC00NzY5LWI5NjQtNjY2NjM0YmYwYmIzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxMTY0OTQ@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

4. Persona (1966)

Persona might be the most erotic movie where nobody ever gets naked.

Bit scared with political films that whatever wins it's gonna end in a lot of people crying over Trump and people getting called Nazi's

Zer, please! have some cultural sensitivity in! It's Italy! People are going to be crying over Berlusconi or getting called Blackshirts!

8) Destiny (German) - Going silent again, while it's hard to deny the greatness of virtually everything that Lang did in this early phase of his career, Destiny is the one that I always go back to and that I find the most powerful and fully realized.

<24>

Destiny is a very good movie but I struggle to see how it's anywhere near the best parts of Lang's German career, either on a visual or dramatic level. It's just not evocative enough.

Bah, I should've nominated "Investigation of A citizen Above Suspicion"

I'd assumed most of you would've seen it. Didn't realize this place was so full of heathens.

With is funny in the sense that Investigation is about an obvious crime that everyone is ignoring.:p

Investigation would be a weird discussion though in how many disparate elements it contains. Weird psycho-sexual shenanigans, heartfelt talks about democracy, semi-surreal political commentary, strange plot-structure, etc.

The true genius of seemingly mad ideas. It's like Werner made a movie about himself, in a past life.

You're not a true filmmaker before you've hauled a ship over a mountain and started several tribal wars during the production.

4) City of God (2002) Not art school enough? and everyone else forgot?

fuck-i-forgot.gif

Only Lina Wurtmueller could get funding to make a cheap late-night beach-sex TV movie, and turn it into a mind-blowing rollercoaster of a masterpiece.

Wurtmueller is the place where sex and politics meet.

3. Come and See (Russian)

5_oh-crap-i-forgot-again.0.gif

8. Raise the Red Lantern (Chinese)

yi5stquuqs6we8k1xbej_5_oh-crap-i-forgot-again.gif

Red Lantern would be a really good movie for discussion, imo.

We Have A Winner!

il-caso-moro1.jpg

Il Caso Moro takes it with dat true crime allure! Gian Maria Volonte plays the former Prime Minister of Italy, the star of the kidnapping, so to say. As BeardotheWeirdo mentioned, it was filmed only six years after Aldo Moro was abducted by the Red Brigades who placed him in front of a "People's Court".

Here is the Wikipedia entry on the incident: (spoilers, I guess?) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidnapping_of_Aldo_Moro

180px-Aldo_Moro_headshot.jpg

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @FrontNakedChoke @AndersonsFoot @Tufts @chickenluver @Coolthulu @OMGstreetfight @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @moreorless87 @ArtemV @frye666 @HARRISON_3 @Bullitt68 @HenryFlower @BeardotheWeirdo @Zer @Rimbaud82

Last edited:
As I mentioned, the film is available on youtube, in case anyone has trouble procuring a copy.

I got to say, from what I've read and seen of it, Todo Moro looks like what would happen if @MusterX made an arthouse movie (and was Italian). You have a bunch of characters who are thinly-veiled allegories for leading politicians and clergymen at the time being involved in a bunch of bizarro cult-activities.

vlcsnap-2015-03-26-21h54m37s233_zpszxwf66qg.png

images

I got to say, from what I've read and seen of it, Todo Moro looks like what would happen if @MusterX made an arthouse movie (and was Italian). You have a bunch of characters who are thinly-veiled allegories for leading politicians and clergymen at the time being involved in a bunch of bizarro cult-activities.

images

Well, I mean, some of them are.

Funnily enough, there is another movie from 1972 also called The Wrath of God. It has Robert Mitchum as a priest Tommy-gunning people to death in Mexico.
Nothing against Agurrie as that's a great film, but perhaps the Mitchum picture is more deserving of the title, just based on that description.
Red Lantern would be a really good movie for discussion, imo.
Agreed. Mainland China seems like one of the last major areas we have yet to dive into. I'd love to hear the club's thoughts on Farewell My Concubine as well (this just barely didn't make my top 10 list) however I'm not sure if the club is prepared to handle that much Chinese Opera all at once. Raise the Red Lantern might be more palatable to the uninitiated.

Looking back at my top 10 list, I feel like it kind of makes me look like an emotional masochist. Only 3 out of 10 have happy endings. Ironically that includes both the Bergman and the Chan-wook Park.

missed voting this week, but it looks like it wouldn’t have mattered since I would have voted for one of the Elio Petri movies.

this was a tougher theme than expected. figured I’d put down a top 10 no problem, but didn’t realize how muddy the waters got once I got to #5. so here is my top 5 non-English movies w/ a bunch of honorable mentions:

1. The Mirror
2. Last Year at Marienbad
3. Songs from the Second Floor
4. Stalker
5. The Holy Mountain or Persona (I don’t want to decide between the two, so I’m putting them both here)

HM: Damnation, The Color of Pomegranates, Tetsuo: The Iron Man, Harakiri, 8 1/2, The Exterminating Angel, The Cremator, Werckmeister Harmonies, Fanny & Alexander, Hiroshima mon Amour

there’s also a real lack of representation for contemporary foreign language cinema in my list (Songs & Werckmeister, both released in 2000, are the only ones that were released in my lifetime), which isn’t totally surprising, but I’d be curious to see if that changes years in the future when some of my favorites from the last few decades get more play.

Nice! I’ve been watching a lot of movies and stuff about 60’s and 70’s terrorism scene. I got started by reading a book about Italian post WW2 right wing underground by Italian-Finnish historian Anton Monti, who was a left wing extremist / Brigate Rosso hang-around in 80’s while living in Italy. In early 2000’s he was suspected for harboring in Helsinki two Neue Brigate Rosso members, who assassinated two academic legal advisors of Italian goverment for advocating some pretty minor changes in labour laws. (Michael Soavi made a poor tv-miniseries about those murders.) Monti is these days married to the vice mayor of Helsinki. o_O

We Have A Winner!

il-caso-moro1.jpg

Il Caso Moro takes it with dat true crime allure! Gian Maria Volonte plays the former Prime Minister of Italy, the star of the kidnapping, so to say. As BeardotheWeirdo mentioned, it was filmed only six years after Aldo Moro was abducted by the Red Brigades who placed him in front of a "People's Court".

Here is the Wikipedia entry on the incident: (spoilers, I guess?) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidnapping_of_Aldo_Moro

180px-Aldo_Moro_headshot.jpg

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @FrontNakedChoke @AndersonsFoot @Tufts @chickenluver @Coolthulu @OMGstreetfight @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @moreorless87 @ArtemV @frye666 @HARRISON_3 @Bullitt68 @HenryFlower @BeardotheWeirdo @Zer @Rimbaud82

Yeah, I'd avoid the Wikipedia entry until you've watched, unless you know how it ends.

Out of the four it's definitely his least impressive acting performance, sadly.

images

I watched it last week, after nominating it as you know... It's about one leading politician specifically, Aldo Moro and his entire party. The Christian Democracy party (DC) and their cronies, the business' that financed his campaigns and won his contracts etc. They're all represented here and punished in ways specific to their roles. 2 years after it's release Aldo was kidnapped by the Red Brigades, perhaps inspired by Todo Modo to exact their own punishments on politicians, some have lamented.

The DC go to give confession for their sins, in a place safe enough for the top politicians and his cronies to confess their sins. It's the absolute perfect set-up for these types of movies. All the characters have to do is explain their actions/sins/reasoning and it seems organic to have a tell-all political tale. But they don't confess to anything specific at all, instead the corrupt priest that serves their political interests becomes a demonic force determined to use corruption against the government, by tormenting them all and refusing to even hear their confessions, for the most part. Then arthouse political (almost-horror) insanity ensues for 90 minutes. It's something else. The idea is brilliant, but all the jokes and statements are inside jokes, meant for those that followed Italian politics.

I'm kind of glad it lost. But for serious film fans, it's got a lot to sink one's teeth into. And it would've made for some good discussion I think. The acting is astounding. Gian Maria Volonte is masterful as always, but Marcello Mastroianni's character allowed him to put his full skills on display, and hot damn, he's amazing. Mariangela Melato is fast becoming a favorite of mine as well. In Todo Modo and Swept Away she completely crushes it. And there's something mesmerizing about her in Love and Anarchy.
Todo-modo-6-e1416249437223.jpg

Damit! According to IMDB, I have only seen 175 HK movies!

tenor.gif

jackie-chan-street-fighter-2-chun-li-laughing-random-13680534310.gif

Nice! I’ve been watching a lot of movies and stuff about 60’s and 70’s terrorism scene. I got started by reading a book about Italian post WW2 right wing underground by Italian-Finnish historian Anton Monti, who was a left wing extremist / Brigate Rosso hang-around in 80’s while living in Italy. In early 2000’s he was suspected for harboring in Helsinki two Neue Brigate Rosso members, who assassinated two academic legal advisors of Italian goverment for advocating some pretty minor changes in labour laws. (Michael Soavi made a poor tv-miniseries about those murders.) Monti is these days married to the vice mayor of Helsinki. o_O

Which movies specifically? I've seen a few.

I didn't expect anyone to have knowledge of the players already, looking forward to your review.

Which movies specifically? I've seen a few.
The Jackal (70’s), Carlos (miniseries edition), Political Target, Raid on Entebbe, Inside the Mossad documentary series, The Angel (mostly espionage) + borderline stuff about political assassinations/executions like Rogue Male and The House on Giribaldi Street.

I’ve gotten sidetracked a bit, so I’m really happy I get to see this movie! I didn’t know that it’s available in English.

Btw, I’m looking forward for lots of recent/future stuff like the new Entebbe-movie, Little Drummer Girl miniseries and Rogue Male remake with Benedict Cumberbatch.

The Jackal (70’s), Carlos (miniseries edition), Political Target, Raid on Entebbe, Inside the Mossad documentary series, The Angel (mostly espionage) + borderline stuff about political assassinations/executions like Rogue Male and The House on Giribaldi Street.

I’ve gotten sidetracked a bit, so I’m really happy I get to see this movie! I didn’t know that it’s available in English.

Btw, I’m looking forward for lots of recent/future stuff like the new Entebbe-movie, Little Drummer Girl miniseries and Rogue Male remake with Benedict Cumberbatch.

Read this late at night, was too tired to respond. Then I forgot about it.

I've seen Carlos and Raid on Entebbe. I think I've seen Jackal too but I can't find it on imbd… so maybe I'm thinking of something different.

Some other good ones I've seen that you might not know about.

The Baader-Meinhof Complex (2008) Very well-made and seemingly honest account of the German group.
Ogro (1979) Gian Maria Volonte stars in this one, about the ETA going after the man that was set to replace General Franco
Corbari (1970) The story of the partisan Silvio Corbari. He starts his career killing publicly one of his friends that was a fascist. Then, he set up a band of partisans in north Italy, completely independent from the Italian organized resistance (CLN). Guiliano Gemma and Tina Aumont too.
21 Hours at Munich (1976) The famous 1972 incident where Arab terrorists kidnapped and killed 11 Israeli Olympic athletes. Franco Nero plays the head terrorist, that alone was enough to get me to watch.
Mesrine (2008) Vincent Cassell playing French gangster / terrorist Jacques Mesrine.
Mesrine 2 (2008) The second one is better but both are great.
Guerrilla: The Taking of Patty Hearst (2004) I think this is the one I saw on PBS, the timeline matches when I saw it... Interesting story nonetheless. It's the one that got me into the subject
The Battle of Algiers (1966) not about a terrorist group per se, but the Algerian "freedom fighters" would be labelled as terrorists today. You probably know and have seen this one already, but just in case.
I Sette Fratelli Cervi (1968) Famous story of seven Italian brothers / farmers who were amongst the first to join the resistance against Fascism. Gian Maria Volonte is the lead.
The Terrorist (1963) The story of Italian partisan Otello Pighin. Starring Gian Maria Volonte as well. Haven't seen this one, I can never find a copy anywhere.
The Four Days of Naples (1962) Again, not really about terrorists, but had the Germans won, they would've been terrorists. The history of the Neapolitan popular revolt against the invading Germans, during the second world war. Neapolitans slinged on rifles and guns, and they armed themselves with stones, house-objects, gasoline-bottles and everything. Volonte is in this one too.

Max Manus (2008) and Flame and Citron (2008) deserve a mention too. They're both about resistance groups, that are recruited by covert government agents, given intelligence and tasked with disrupting Nazi infrastructure and performing assassinations .

One to skip:
Operation Thunderbolt (1977) The Menahem Golan version of 'Raid on Entebbe' with Klaus Kinski playing the main terrorist. It's slow, and boring.

Weird that an old Italian flick was picked while I'm in Cleveland. Same thing happened with the other one we watched over the summer. Will I watch it?

giphy.gif

Depends on how insane my family is, how much alcohol I have to drink to be able to handle them, and how much free time I will have after I complete the two page list of chores I have been given.

All I can say is my life is very peaceful in

giphy.gif

although

giphy.gif

has amazing restaurants and my family, who I love when they are not loosing their shit and yelling at each other...

giphy.gif

and the posts will obviously be late!

Read this late at night, was too tired to respond. Then I forgot about it.

I've seen Carlos and Raid on Entebbe. I think I've seen Jackal too but I can't find it on imbd… so maybe I'm thinking of something different.

Some other good ones I've seen that you might not know about.

The Baader-Meinhof Complex (2008) Very well-made and seemingly honest account of the German group.
Ogro (1979) Gian Maria Volonte stars in this one, about the ETA going after the man that was set to replace General Franco
Corbari (1970) The story of the partisan Silvio Corbari. He starts his career killing publicly one of his friends that was a fascist. Then, he set up a band of partisans in north Italy, completely independent from the Italian organized resistance (CLN). Guiliano Gemma and Tina Aumont too.
21 Hours at Munich (1976) The famous 1972 incident where Arab terrorists kidnapped and killed 11 Israeli Olympic athletes. Franco Nero plays the head terrorist, that alone was enough to get me to watch.
Mesrine (2008) Vincent Cassell playing French gangster / terrorist Jacques Mesrine.
Mesrine 2 (2008) The second one is better but both are great.
Guerrilla: The Taking of Patty Hearst (2004) I think this is the one I saw on PBS, the timeline matches when I saw it... Interesting story nonetheless. It's the one that got me into the subject
The Battle of Algiers (1966) not about a terrorist group per se, but the Algerian "freedom fighters" would be labelled as terrorists today. You probably know and have seen this one already, but just in case.
I Sette Fratelli Cervi (1968) Famous story of seven Italian brothers / farmers who were amongst the first to join the resistance against Fascism. Gian Maria Volonte is the lead.
The Terrorist (1963) The story of Italian partisan Otello Pighin. Starring Gian Maria Volonte as well. Haven't seen this one, I can never find a copy anywhere.
The Four Days of Naples (1962) Again, not really about terrorists, but had the Germans won, they would've been terrorists. The history of the Neapolitan popular revolt against the invading Germans, during the second world war. Neapolitans slinged on rifles and guns, and they armed themselves with stones, house-objects, gasoline-bottles and everything. Volonte is in this one too.

Max Manus (2008) and Flame and Citron (2008) deserve a mention too. They're both about resistance groups, that are recruited by covert government agents, given intelligence and tasked with disrupting Nazi infrastructure and performing assassinations .

One to skip:
Operation Thunderbolt (1977) The Menahem Golan version of 'Raid on Entebbe' with Klaus Kinski playing the main terrorist. It's slow, and boring.
The Jackal was about right-wing group trying to assassinate Charles de Gaulle and hiring a professional assassin after failing themselves.

Bader-Mainhof Comlex I’ll definitely revisit soon and maybe Mesrine too.

I was not that fond of 21 Hours in Munich when I saw it long time ago, so I think I’ll rewatch Spielberg’s Munich instead.

Yeah, Operation Thunderbolt sucks. It’s merely amusing at times. Raid at Entebbe is better but not that great either. There’s a third movie Victory at Entebbe from same era with all-star Hollywood cast and Helmut Berger as Wilfried Böse.

Ogro and Cobrari sound really great and I’ll keep your other partisan movie recommendations in mind too!

I don’t know if you are into graphic novels at all, but I just revisited Enki Bilal’s and Pierre Christin’s The Black Order Brigade last weekend. Pretty damn good story about two groups from opposite sides of Spanish civil war getting back together as old timers and fighting each other in late 70’s terrorism scene.

Last edited:
10) Sacco and Vanzetti (1971) A real masterpiece. a true, tragic, powerful, and important story, told in excellent, gripping fashion, filled with mesmerizing, stunning performances and a brilliant score from Ennio Morricone. Meticulously researched, and told from the point of view of the defense, and using actual court transcripts and real newspapers from the time. The tale of two anarchists framed and executed in Florida, just for opposing a corrupt system. Sadly it's as important today as it was when made, or would've been when the innocent were murdered almost 100 years ago,as they were killed simply for being politically undesirable, and foreign, even though they never harmed a fly, nor intended to.
I’ve been hoping to run into neutral source about this. The trial was very fishy for sure, but I’m not completely buying this saintly martyrdom cult as they were so close to the Galleanist terrorist group that used mass killings (bombs and poisonings) hoping to ignite a revolution in US.

Love the Morricone theme though!

The Jackal was about right-wing group trying to assassinate Charles de Gaulle and hiring a professional assassin after failing themselves.

Bader-Mainhof Comlex I’ll definitely revisit soon and maybe Mesrine too.

I was not that fond of 21 Hours in Munich when I saw it long time ago, so I think I’ll rewatch Spielberg’s Munich instead.

Yeah, Operation Thunderbolt sucks. It’s merely amusing at times. Raid at Entebbe is better but not that great either. There’s a third movie Victory at Entebbe from same era with all-star Hollywood cast and Helmut Berger as Wilfried Böse.

Ogro and Cobrari sound really great and I’ll keep your other partisan movie recommendations in mind too!

I don’t know if you are into graphic novels at all, but I just revisited Enki Bilal’s and Pierre Christin’s The Black Order Brigade last weekend. Pretty damn good story about two groups from opposite sides of Spanish civil war getting back together as old timers and fighting each other in late 70’s terrorism scene.

Ah, okay. I haven't seen the Jackal then. I have read "Obsolete Communism" by Daniel & Gabriel Cohn-Bendit. It's about the 1968 Paris revolutions, written just 5 weeks after the revolution was squelched. There's a quote on the jacket from De Gaulle.. "Daniel Cohn-Bendit is the most dangerous scoundrel in France." — I haven't read it in 15 years, but I really enjoyed it when I read it. I didn't really know the story of the 68 revolution at the time. I just found it in the AK press catalogue and thought it sounded really interesting.

Yeah, I should've put 21 hours at Munich in the skip list, I didn't have a skip list when I started the list. It was bad, apart from the seeing Nero in brown-face there's no real reason to see it. Especially with the big-budget version out there.

If you're really stuck finding copies of Corbari and Ogro let me know. I have them on DVD and I'll might rip them and put them up online under "fair use" laws. Since they're long out of print and not being re-pressed any time soon, if ever.

One of my favorite books is a graphic novel, "War in the Neighbourhood" by Seth Tobocman. It's about squatters in NYC battling with police and politicians, after the book was released they actually won legal control of the building from the city. As long as they're written in an interesting manner, pictures only help the atmosphere.

That Black Order Brigade book sounds interesting, I'll make a note of it.

I've got this one on DVD too. About the Anarchist schools they set up in a small community in Spain, after Franco was ousted. It doesn't really deal with revolutionary groups engaging in dissent, but it's still an interesting watch. I'm not aware of any other Anarchist communities where all the people pitched In and took control of their own community. .

I was a bit disappointed when I visited Spin last year, apart from one coffee shop (with some old posters) in an very-old fashioned town, there were no signs of Communism, Anarchism or Marxism anywhere to be seen. There's still an Anarchist scene in Barcelona, but they hate tourists and attacked a tour bus while I was there, so I'm glad I didn't run into any of them, or their centers. Ha. They seem a bit mis-guided. Spain would fall apart with Tourism, but they're right about the Airbnb's driving up the real estate costs so they can't afford to live. And apart from serving tourists coffee there's very little job opportunity there. After growing up in Canada, anywhere with such rich political history on both sides, is fascinating to me.

I’ve been hoping to run into neutral source about this. The trial was very fishy for sure, but I’m not completely buying this saintly martyrdom cult as they were so close to the Galleanist terrorist group that used mass killings (bombs and poisonings) hoping to ignite a revolution in US.

Love the Morricone theme though!

Galleani spent his time in America in the North, I don't know if he ever made it to Florida. He was shot in the face by police, while speaking on behalf of striking workers, and then charged with inciting a riot. lol. He didn't get a fair shake.

You can't trust any mainstream source on the matter. The big newspapers decide the framework of debate, and they all opposed Anarchism, Anarchism is the most feared enemy of the wealthy and powerful. They would never legitimize the ideas of Anarchism, and therefore the people who support those ideas. It would be like UFC promoting Bellator.

When I went to college (the supposed place of higher education, honesty and enlightenment) I looked in the library and found a book "the history of terrorism" In it they claim Mikhail Bakunin is the godfather and inventor of terrorism, for advocating the upheaval of the power structure, by any means necessary. Even today, in a place of higher learning, Anarchist theorists are despised for their ideas... Well, it's obvious to see why the system (courts, business, schools, media, politicians) hates Anarchism. It wants a level playing field, and that's bad for those in power.

You won't get a more honest account of Sacco and Vanzetti anywhere.

The decision cast by the jury says it all. There's is no way to know one way or another who robbed that warehouse, yet the jury was more than happy to sentence them to death, just because they opposed the current system. There wasn't nearly enough evidence to convict them.

IS there any evidence of them working with Galleanist terrorist groups?

That's just how the media work, they try and lump all radicals into one category, then they name the most violent as the leader, kill him, declare the movement dead, and move on.

The Zapatistas in Mexico although peasant farmers were well aware of this, and they chose to mount their rebellion without any leaders, hence them wearing ski masks to hide their identity's, like Black Bloc anarchists still do today.. The media responded by naming Subcomandante Marcos the leader. they refuse to even acknowledge that the class war is a global struggle without one main or any main leaders (on the side of the poor) Anarchists have and never will be treated fairly by the mainstream media. That would be like Hitler fairly describing Jewish people during WW2. It goes against everything they stand for, every lie they tell is meant to keep them powerful and us powerless... to accurately explain Anarchism to the masses... it will never ever happen. Never.

They still use the same tactics today. There was a local revolutionary group called Ontario Coalition Against Poverty (OCAP) in the 90's. They evicted the housing minister from his office (illegally) and shut down the Toronto stock exchange, and financial sector with a protest, among other actions. They helped organize a tent city for homeless in Toronto. They weren't violent though, at all. Despite breaking the law in the name of civil protest occasionally they were good citizens. They had the support of teachers unions and several mainstream and lawful advocacy groups. The leader and some of his friends went to the WTO protests (In Washington or Seattle I forget) and was detained by American authorities at the border. He was questioned on the where-abouts of Bin Laden... That's how the powerful think, anyone that opposes their system is lumped together with terrorists and treated as such. Eventually the courts banned all the people in the group from talking to each other and the group fell apart. Now they've gentrified the area and you don't see homeless people anymore. There were plenty of stories of homeless people being escorted to the middle of nowhere by the police, then beaten and left there.

In short, you can't trust the mainstream media to be accurate, they're probably lying a lot more then Sacco and Vanzetti were.

And whether they had any involvement with Galleanist groups is somewhat irrelevant as they weren't charged for those things. They were charged for a robbery, in a case where no one actually saw the robbers.

Another example is "In the Name of the Father", a bunch of innocent squatters (that opposed the system) were blamed and charged for an IRA bombing they had absolutely nothing to do with. But the public ate it up, because the media told them it was the truth.

Hell even Saddam Hussein was murdered for making weapons of mass destruction, that they never found, because he wasn't making them. They just make up charges and punish people that oppose them, whether guilty of the crimes or not, it happens in every country. Watch "The act of killing" to see how communist and labor-rights activists in Indonesia were treated, regardless of the law. It's a global trend. Hence the popular saying amongst radical leftist groups. "Class war is the only war". In every country all over the world the same struggle ensued, the poor fought for their rights, were violently oppressed by the rich, and demonized in the media, which is owned by the rich.

The Nazi's said the same thing about the Jews, Kristallnacht.

NGO's are always more honest when it comes to reporting the facts on the ground level. I've done countless media studies, mostly during the war on terrorism. Mainstream western sources choose to omit facts often, even when picture and video evidence is available to contradict them. And almost no one notices.

Galleani spent his time in America in the North, I don't know if he ever made it to Florida. He was shot in the face by police, while speaking on behalf of striking workers, and then charged with inciting a riot. lol. He didn't get a fair shake.

You can't trust any mainstream source on the matter. The big newspapers decide the framework of debate, and they all opposed Anarchism, Anarchism is the most feared enemy of the wealthy and powerful. They would never legitimize the ideas of Anarchism, and therefore the people who support those ideas. It would be like UFC promoting Bellator.

When I went to college (the supposed place of higher education, honesty and enlightenment) I looked in the library and found a book "the history of terrorism" In it they claim Mikhail Bakunin is the godfather and inventor of terrorism, for advocating the upheaval of the power structure, by any means necessary. Even today, in a place of higher learning, Anarchist theorists are despised for their ideas... Well, it's obvious to see why the system (courts, business, schools, media, politicians) hates Anarchism. It wants a level playing field, and that's bad for those in power.

You won't get a more honest account of Sacco and Vanzetti anywhere.

The decision cast by the jury says it all. There's is no way to know one way or another who robbed that warehouse, yet the jury was more than happy to sentence them to death, just because they opposed the current system. There wasn't nearly enough evidence to convict them.

IS there any evidence of them working with Galleanist terrorist groups?

That's just how the media work, they try and lump all radicals into one category, then they name the most violent as the leader, kill him, declare the movement dead, and move on.

The Zapatistas in Mexico although peasant farmers were well aware of this, and they chose to mount their rebellion without any leaders, hence them wearing ski masks to hide their identity's, like Black Bloc anarchists still do today.. The media responded by naming Subcomandante Marcos the leader. they refuse to even acknowledge that the class war is a global struggle without one main or any main leaders (on the side of the poor) Anarchists have and never will be treated fairly by the mainstream media. That would be like Hitler fairly describing Jewish people during WW2. It goes against everything they stand for, every lie they tell is meant to keep them powerful and us powerless... to accurately explain Anarchism to the masses... it will never ever happen. Never.

They still use the same tactics today. There was a local revolutionary group called Ontario Coalition Against Poverty (OCAP) in the 90's. They evicted the housing minister from his office (illegally) and shut down the Toronto stock exchange, and financial sector with a protest, among other actions. They helped organize a tent city for homeless in Toronto. They weren't violent though, at all. Despite breaking the law in the name of civil protest occasionally they were good citizens. They had the support of teachers unions and several mainstream and lawful advocacy groups. The leader and some of his friends went to the WTO protests (In Washington or Seattle I forget) and was detained by American authorities at the border. He was questioned on the where-abouts of Bin Laden... That's how the powerful think, anyone that opposes their system is lumped together with terrorists and treated as such. Eventually the courts banned all the people in the group from talking to each other and the group fell apart. Now they've gentrified the area and you don't see homeless people anymore. There were plenty of stories of homeless people being escorted to the middle of nowhere by the police, then beaten and left there.

In short, you can't trust the mainstream media to be accurate, they're probably lying a lot more then Sacco and Vanzetti were.

And whether they had any involvement with Galleanist groups is somewhat irrelevant as they weren't charged for those things. They were charged for a robbery, in a case where no one actually saw the robbers.

Another example is "In the Name of the Father", a bunch of innocent squatters (that opposed the system) were blamed and charged for an IRA bombing they had absolutely nothing to do with. But the public ate it up, because the media told them it was the truth.

Hell even Saddam Hussein was murdered for making weapons of mass destruction, that they never found, because he wasn't making them. They just make up charges and punish people that oppose them, whether guilty of the crimes or not, it happens in every country. Watch "The act of killing" to see how communist and labor-rights activists in Indonesia were treated, regardless of the law. It's a global trend. Hence the popular saying amongst radical leftist groups. "Class war is the only war". In every country all over the world the same struggle ensued, the poor fought for their rights, were violently oppressed by the rich, and demonized in the media, which is owned by the rich.

The Nazi's said the same thing about the Jews, Kristallnacht.

NGO's are always more honest when it comes to reporting the facts on the ground level. I've done countless media studies, mostly during the war on terrorism. Mainstream western sources choose to omit facts often, even when picture and video evidence is available to contradict them. And almost no one notices.
As said, I do think the 10 year trial was rigged, but I also believe that was largely because of the bombings that followed to protest their indictment. After 50 or so civilian casualties the state really needed a conviction not to look weak in face of terrorism. I'm not saying that was ok, just trying to explain why it happened. Regarding their connections to Gelleanists, I do tend to trust Wikipedia somewhat and the sources seem to refer also to releases by anarchist press. I'm sure you can dispute this by saying it's all fake and conspiracy and I'm happy to drop the subject here on my part.

Back