SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 121 movie!

Let's pick the week 121 Movie

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ever seen the original serial? The guy playing Vultan was magnificent in the role too.

250px-Flash_Gordon_serial_%281936%29_Vultan_and_Dr._Zarkov_1.png
I'm pretty bad at watching serials, but I've seen about half of the first serial and it was awesome! Crabbe is really out of control wrestling and strangling minions to death, villains are really bonkers and set pieces cool as fuck.

Seen it? I still have that freaking skidoo-jingle stuck in my brain!

MV5BNTE3Zjc3YmMtM2I4Ny00NDZmLWE1OWYtYmQ3NGI1NzM5OGNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

Man skidoo was a strange film. Why was Grauco Marx playing Howard Hughes?

The late 60's had its fair share of films like this. Hollywood just lost it's freaking mind to get that hippie-money. Studio producers dropped acid for the first time and tried being hip with the kids by making drug movies. Wow.

Skidoo, Candy, The Phynx... even God-Emperor Roger Corman got in on the trend with Gas (Or, It Became Necessary to Destroy the World in Order to Save It).

Strange Days. Strange Days indeed.
I dislike most of that genre (Candy, most of the Beatles movies, The Monkees TV-series, Zachariah...). Skidoo is my favourite. Somehow does not feel like just another hippie cash in. That prison cell tripping scene is pure genius for example. Corman's productions were ok, but felt a bit of restrained and square.

Hmm, this is tough for me. Not because I can't decide between villains, but more that I don't really watch comic book movies, and I can't think of any.

1) Joker (Mark Hamill's version is the best)
2) General Zod (Superman II)
3) Um...
4) Uh...
5) Can the Scoutmaster from the Simpsons count?

But I did ask my brother, who is a comic book junkie, what his list would be:

1) Big Boy (Dick Tracy) - (I can't believe I forgot this one. Good look, @europe1)
2) General Zod (Superman II)
3) Lex Luthor (Gene Hackman)
4) Magneto
5) Loki

Honorable mention: Josh Brolin's Thanos

Well, it looks like this will be the first week where the movie that I voted for loses in the poll. I haven't seen any of the movies in the poll - I'm very slow when it comes to watching new stuff, and You Can Count On Me sounds awful (sorry @AndersonsFoot) - so I voted for the one that (a) I feel like I should see the most yet (b) I'm the least likely to actually watch. But whatever wins will be one new movie that I get to cross off the list, so no complaints from me.

As for the top theme, I'm not a big comic book guy, and, from my comic book movie watching experience, it's more about the heroes than the villains. However, I'm a huge Batman guy, and one of the many awesome things about all the Batman movies and TV shows is the stable of villains. Added to which, the quality of actor they always manage to get to play those villains is staggering. So here's my list of what amounts to my favorite Batman movie villains:

1) Tom Hardy as Bane in The Dark Knight Rises - Love everything about the character, from the way Nolan crafted him to the way Hardy brought him to life.

2) Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face in Batman Forever - His intro in the opening scene is one of my favorite things in movies. "Blind, stupid, simple, doo-dah, clueless luck!"

3) Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze in Batman & Robin - Arnold rules. Need I say more?

4) Jim Carrey as The Riddler in Batman Forever - One of Carrey's many acting tours de force, though particularly impressive for the way he managed to wed light Carrey-style humor with a darker and more sinister edge (which he'd really dig into the next year for The Cable Guy).

5) Heath Ledger as The Joker in The Dark Knight - Home run of a performance.

I dislike most of that genre (Candy, most of the Beatles movies, The Monkees TV-series, Zachariah...). Skidoo is my favourite. Somehow does not feel like just another hippie cash in. That prison cell tripping scene is pure genius for example. Corman's productions were ok, but felt a bit of restrained and square.

I concur.

Still, don't like Skidoo that much though, even though it's the best in the genre.

Well, it looks like this will be the first week where the movie that I voted for loses in the poll

I like that movie (Manchester by the Sea) because Casey Affleck's ticks and mannerisms when acting depressed are pretty much identical to how I've acted when depressed. I became quite cockeyed watching it, rarely do you recognize yourself in a movie like that.

1) Big Boy (Dick Tracy) - (I can't believe I forgot this one. Good look, @europe1)

Dick Tracy is such a strange, strange movie. Cool looking, though.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Dick Tracy is such a strange, strange movie. Cool looking, though.

hqdefault.jpg

I love this movie. It was big favorite of mine as a kid. The characters, the set designs, the costumes, the color palette, the music, you name it.

giphy.gif

5UV0.gif

Back