Sherbytes: Industry News Megathread, v.1

Square Enix now entertaining new studio creation as well as acquisition. Full read here courtesy of IGN.

Odd choice given they offloaded some good studios at a discount recently.
Yeah, there's been talk of exactly that actually. What guys are saying after the SE earnings reports is that they're going to focus any future expansion on supporting preexisting properties whereas what they'd sold off was more diversifying that portfolio rather. My take is a bigger but leaner SE – with less creative risk, to say.

Elsewhere to connect the dots:

EA says Battlefield coming back in an 'entirely new way', reports GameSpot. A lot of people joking this new way should be the game actually being finished, hehe.

Despite all the problems with Battlefield 2042, Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson says that the franchise will be a "meaningful part" of the publisher's future.

As part of EA's latest investor report, Wilson frequently spoke of Battlefield, acknowledging the difficulties that Battlefield 2042 faced during its launch (via GamesRadar). Wilson talked about taking "ownership," and "building [...] for the future," of several of its major brands, notably Battlefield. He also believes that EA has the "ability to bring Battlefield back in an entirely new way in the future," though he didn't mention what that means exactly.

During a Q&A session, investors asked Wilson about the progress of the various projects related to Battlefield. The CEO noted that "we don't have any date announcements," but did say that following a recent call with the franchise's new leadership team, he had "extraordinary confidence in that team and extraordinary confidence in the progress they're making against the future of that franchise."

Full read here. (External)

EA says Battlefield coming back in an 'entirely new way', reports GameSpot. A lot of people joking this new way should be the game actually being finished first, hehe.

Despite all the problems with Battlefield 2042, Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson says that the franchise will be a "meaningful part" of the publisher's future.

As part of EA's latest investor report, Wilson frequently spoke of Battlefield, acknowledging the difficulties that Battlefield 2042 faced during its launch (via GamesRadar). Wilson talked about taking "ownership," and "building [...] for the future," of several of its major brands, notably Battlefield. He also believes that EA has the "ability to bring Battlefield back in an entirely new way in the future," though he didn't mention what that means exactly.

During a Q&A session, investors asked Wilson about the progress of the various projects related to Battlefield. The CEO noted that "we don't have any date announcements," but did say that following a recent call with the franchise's new leadership team, he had "extraordinary confidence in that team and extraordinary confidence in the progress they're making against the future of that franchise."

Full read here. (External)

Unless they get rid of the bots I will never play a battlefield game again. Unfortunately I think Respawn took over and they loved having bots in titan fall also so not sure if they ever get rid of that idea.

EU approved the merger between MS and ABK. One thing I found interesting is that the EU was concerned about the cloud market as well. The only difference is that the CMA rejected the remedies MS was trying to provide while the EU accepted them. Not sure it will help MS much against the CAT\CMA since everyone agrees about MS/Cloud gaming being an issue but they just have different approaches to solving it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/tec...ion-blizzard-clearing-huge-hurdle/ar-AA1bdfRU

CDP housekeeping:

The layoffs mostly impacted developers at The Molasses Flood, the American studio behind Flame in the Flood, which CD Projekt acquired in 2021.

“Because the project changed, so has the composition of the team that’s working on it – mainly on The Molasses Flood’s side,” a CD Projekt spokesperson told VGC.

21 US-based developers have lost their jobs, as have eight employees who had been working on the project in Poland.

Unless they get rid of the bots I will never play a battlefield game again. Unfortunately I think Respawn took over and they loved having bots in titan fall also so not sure if they ever get rid of that idea.
You mean bot DNA of the hitscan, overtuned variety or more the opposite – rock-dumb Untermensch? I tried out 2042 when it was free on PS but it didn't grab me. I'd spawn and break into a full jog just to get to where there's a firefight happening. Plus gunplay mechanics felt floaty, toothless. Shame.

You mean bot DNA of the hitscan, overtuned variety or more the opposite – rock-dumb Untermensch? I tried out 2042 when it was free on PS but it didn't grab me. I'd spawn and break into a full jog just to get to where there's a firefight happening. Plus gunplay mechanics felt floaty, toothless. Shame.

The AI they use to fill up the unused spots on a team. They all have AI in their name now I think. I tried it when they added it to PS also but it didn't grab me either.

AC Mirage landing in October for 2023 holiday season, it's been mined. The game follows Basim, who was introduced in 2020's bloated AF Valhalla:

Cinematic trailer below for those who'd missed it at release:

The AI they use to fill up the unused spots on a team. They all have AI in their name now I think. I tried it when they added it to PS also but it didn't grab me either.
I got what you meant by bots. Meant rather what about them irked you. Hitscan? Buffoonery pathfinding?

Do people want this genre (F2P BR) anymore? Anyway, Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodhunt is ending development early for lack of playerbase. Sharkmob (who are owned by China's Tencent) was developer + pub on the project:

Nic Cage to play…Nic Cage in forthcoming Dead by Daylight title. Current chatter centres around whether he’s to be survivor or principal villain:

"It's the performance of a lifetime. Dead by Daylight: Nicolas Cage. Coming to a realm near you. Learn more on July 5th."

IMG_2994.jpg

cc: @Slobodan

I got what you meant by bots. Meant rather what about them irked you. Hitscan? Buffoonery pathfinding?

I just personally can't stand fighting AI when I go online to play a competitive MP game. If it's a game meant to be PVE like in Destiny then ok I know what I signed up for. When I go to play COD or BF it's cause I want to fight against other real people. Every time I got a kill and saw it was AI it would just ruin the experience for me.

Nic Cage to play…Nic Cage in forthcoming Dead by Daylight title. Current chatter centres around whether he’s to be survivor or principal villain:

"It's the performance of a lifetime. Dead by Daylight: Nicolas Cage. Coming to a realm near you. Learn more on July 5th."

View attachment 983459

cc: @Slobodan

My friend told me about this, this looks awesome for fans of the game

In the last 30 years, the Mortal Kombat franchise has sold over 80 million units, TweakTown confirms. While we saw MK11 break sales records for the series itself, NetherRealm's MK also looks to be the best-selling of worldwide FG franchises from available data – with Super Smash Bros. a close second:

Top 8:
  • Mortal Kombat - 80 million
  • Super Smash Bros. - 72 million
  • Tekken - 54 million+
  • Street Fighter - 49 million
  • Soul Calibur - 17 million
  • Dead or Alive - 12 million
  • Marvel vs Capcom - 10 million
  • Virtua Fighter - 5.5 million

Looks like Frank Frazetta’s work. ^

VA for Alan Wake 2 reveals launch is October 2023. Finland’s Remedy keeping things under wraps at time of writing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back