Sheldon Silver Under Investigation Regarding Payments Received

Here's hopin'!

Also, In my journalistic endeavor to find out more on this case, I'm yet to find a picture of Mr. Silver not looking like a Sleazeball/Scooby-Doo Villian.

sheldon_lg.jpg

OMG!!!! A city official taking payments under the table????? SHOCKING!!!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

OMG!!!! A city official taking payments under the table????? SHOCKING!!!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Random citizen apathetic towards corruption in politics?

The point is there is a chance he will not be in office when another bill to lift MMA's ban in NY comes to the floor.

The chance is slim given NY and its awesome levels of corruption but it is a chance and I'll take it.

Based on the list of potential indicments for fradualent practices, as cited by the article, it appears as though he has both the financial backing and political prowess to crawl out from under a charge of this sort: That is, one that might jepordize his career in any significant way.

It's tantamount to conjecture at this point, but I wouldn't be surprised one iota if he was recieving a similar payoff from those parties interested in preventing legislation that would approve the organisation of mma in any professional capacity.

Hope?

Source:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/30/n...mbly-speaker-over-pay-from-law-firm.html?_r=0

Why You Should Care:
Silver has been instrumental in blocking legislation to lift New York's MMA ban. This could help him on his way out of office which would give MMA an actual chance at being voted on.

Let's all get our hopes up for "UFC 200: Madison Square Garden"!

As long as he paid federal and state taxes on the amounts he will be fine. Tax evasion is serious, non disclosure can be wiggled out of. He has a history of inappropriate contacts and is the second most powerful man in the state.

It's tantamount to conjecture at this point, but I wouldn't be surprised one iota if he was recieving a similar payoff from those parties interested in preventing legislation that would approve the organisation of mma in any professional capacity.

No, he just needs the votes and legal political contributions from the Culinary Union.

What he seems to be have been getting is basically legal apart from the non disclosure. If you're a lawyer and a politician you can get money from your practice and refuse to say what and work you did because of client confidentiality.

Good news. There needs to be a much bigger push for MMA in New York. It's crazy that it's still banned.

As long as he paid federal and state taxes on the amounts he will be fine. Tax evasion is serious, non disclosure can be wiggled out of. He has a history of inappropriate contacts and is the second most powerful man in the state.

Odds are he will survive but I like to dream.

Hope?

Source:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/30/n...mbly-speaker-over-pay-from-law-firm.html?_r=0

Why You Should Care:
Silver has been instrumental in blocking legislation to lift New York's MMA ban. This could help him on his way out of office which would give MMA an actual chance at being voted on.

Do we know if this alleged money is linked to scumbag boxing promoters, or not relevant to combat sports?

Once he is gone I think mma will be legal in NY.

Lets hope 2015 is the year. Its a joke that its not, think of the money it can bring in to the state, not just a few PPV, Fight nights by UFC but Bellator will go there, WSOF could go there, regional orgs in north east could hold events there.

Nothing will come of this
He'll pay a small fine to the right people and go on about his business

Do we know if this alleged money is linked to scumbag boxing promoters, or not relevant to combat sports?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/31/n...r-is-tied-to-landlord-with-troubled-past.html
This article links the law firm to a landlord looking to reduce taxes on his properties.

The landlord, Baruch Singer, whose father was the long-serving rabbi at the synagogue on the Lower East Side of Manhattan where Mr. Silver has worshiped for decades, used the law firm to seek reductions in real estate tax assessments on a number of his buildings on the Lower East Side and in Harlem, tax records show.

The investigation isn't MMA related but the .001% that Silver gets out of office because of it could mean good things for NY and MMA.

Hope?

Source:

Why You Should Care:

That would be the best MMA news I've heard in a while. Not sure if UFC 200 would line up with a New Years Eve show 2015 but agree would be perfect in MSG...Just a stones throw away for me.

Also, really shouldn't matter where or what the money is from, as a politician it could be enough for him to be pressured into stepping down...hopefully

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back