Share your experiences with ringworm

tSekaPrivet**

Bant*
Banned
Reaction score
I was infected with this parasitic fungus my first month in jiu-jitsu class and I am nervous that the circles will persist longer than a week.

At first I applied Clotrimazole cream, which helped a little.

Then I applied lamisil, which appears to be a lot more effective!

I visited the beach because I read that salt water is really good for the spots.

I can see the marks disappearing now.

It's been about a week now, hopefully I can return to my gym after a 3-4 days.

I understand that ringworm can persist for about a month but I'm using a very powerful cream and heading the advice of Eddie Bravo on this matter (listened to his tips on one of the Rogan podcasts).

Forget the creams. Use a dry spray. The creams actually provide moisture that the fungus can feed off of.

Also, just because the ring is gone, does not mean the fungus is totally dead. Stay off the mats an extra week or so and keep treating the area before you return.

Ringworm sucks. It sucks for everyone. The worst thing you can do is selfishly come back to class too early and spread it to your training partners.

I got it on my wrist before, not too bad but still not enjoyable. I used clotrimazole cream myself which helped. However, I do hear that dry sprays are much more effective.

I just hit any suspicious spot the second I notice it with an antifungal cream. I use tea tree oil on larger suspect areas also. And I've started eating yogurt just to keep my good bacteria levels up. HearD that reduces open skin for fungus and staph. Not sure if if works, but yogurt is delicious anyway!

had a spot on my arm used lotriman cleared up in a couple days. No big deal.

Also, just because the ring is gone, does not mean the fungus is totally dead. Stay off the mats an extra week or so and keep treating the area before you return.

Not true. It's generally non-contagious after 48 hours of treatment. I'd leave it an extra day or two, but an extra week? That's just unnecessary.

Also, when you're talking about a cream "containing moisture that the fungus can feed off", that's the pinnacle of layman science right there. OK how about this once: bleach won't work because it contains moisture for the fungus to feed on. Oh wait a minute, yes it will because it's bleach.

Creams work fine. Use them.

Not true. It's generally non-contagious after 48 hours of treatment. I'd leave it an extra day or two, but an extra week? That's just unnecessary.

Also, when you're talking about a cream "containing moisture that the fungus can feed off", that's the pinnacle of layman science right there. OK how about this once: bleach won't work because it contains moisture for the fungus to feed on. Oh wait a minute, yes it will because it's bleach.

Please tell me this is true!

So basically I can go back to my gym now?

It's been about a week since I've been treating it.

Wait until that shit disappears. You don't want to risk giving it to someone else and starting a cycle of ringworm in your gym that never ends. A couple days off isn't going to kill you.

Also, make sure you're using a fungicidal cream and not a fungistatic one. The fungicidal (Lamisil) will kill the ringworm while the fungistatic (Lotrimin) one will only inhibit its growth. So keep using the Lamisil until the ringworm is all gone, I guess.

EDIT: Also, Selsun Blue (the shampoo) kills ringworm too. Wash with it.

I've used vinegar (apply to a paper towel and place on affected site for several minutes), and it works pretty well. It doesn't burn the skin like bleach, and it'll kill ringworm in a day or two, if you apply multiple times per day. That's been my first line of defense for years now.

Yes, because the chlorine and sodium hypochlorite being absorbed into the skin in pure bleach is the same as the Mineral Oil, Propylene, Water, and Petrolatum that is absorbed along with the measly 1% Tolnaftate anti-fungal medication in an OTC cream. :mad:

Listen, I took the advice of my doctor, which was not to give the fungus anything to feed off of and to keep the ringworm spot as DRY as possible at all times. Most people come back too fucking early from ringwork and guess what? It spreads to the next guy who comes back too early, etc., etc.

The bottom line is, take your time, be conservative with your return date and spare everyone the risk. It's simply not worth it for you to put people at risk because you can't miss one extra week of class in your 10-15 year jiu jitsu career.

I've never caught ringworm but a good friend of mine did. He only did this because he caugt it the day before our wrestling meet, he cut it with a razor, then bleached it. But he's insane, i'd don't think i would go that far :-/

Last edited:
After training, I will use some bacterial hand lotion on my neck, face, arms and legs. I put my gi or no-gi stuff in a plastic bag. I toss the bag when I get home. I then wash my Gi + all the clothes I wore after. I shower using head and shoulders and defense soap. If after my shower I see any red spot I treat is with lamisil or defense soap essential oil or creme.

I just used some stuff I got from rite-aid that's made for ringworms and it was gone in a few days. An it's crazy I knew the dirty asshole that passed it on because 3 other people got it after rolling with the guy.

I was infected with this parasitic fungus my first month in jiu-jitsu class and I am nervous that the circles will persist longer than a week.

At first I applied Clotrimazole cream, which helped a little.

Then I applied lamisil, which appears to be a lot more effective!

I visited the beach because I read that salt water is really good for the spots.

I can see the marks disappearing now.

It's been about a week now, hopefully I can return to my gym after a 3-4 days.

I understand that ringworm can persist for about a month but I'm using a very powerful cream and heading the advice of Eddie Bravo on this matter (listened to his tips on one of the Rogan podcasts).

I had ringworm and got rid of it in two days. If you don't mind pain and a scar that fades eventually, use some liquid wart remover. Two applications and the site is as dry as a bone. Dermatologist said it was a dumb thing to do, because of the scarring, but that's already fading. Dermatologist also said once the rings are gone you're no longer contagious, but that you need to keep treating it for two weeks after to make sure it doesn't lie dormant.

I got it on my penis and went around intentionally giving it to girls

Listen, I took the advice of my doctor, which was not to give the fungus anything to feed off of and to keep the ringworm spot as DRY as possible at all times. Most people come back too fucking early from ringwork and guess what? It spreads to the next guy who comes back too early, etc., etc.

That is not why it spreads. It spreads because most people don't even notice it's there until it starts to become extremely irritating, at which point it looks obviously like ringworm. Treatment with anti-fungals is effective, and if your doctor says otherwise...well I suppose that's his problem.

And a lot of people keep training even when they know they have it. That is why it spreads.

In 6+ years Ive had it 3 times. Ive always just used bleach (or 50/50 bleach to water) on a qtip. Apply and let sit until you cant stand the burning and rinse it off. Youre left with a slight chemical burn / irritation, but that heals faster.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back