Shannon Briggs is in ICU after fight with Klitschko

patscorpio

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Klitschko Broke Briggs' Face, Shannon in The Hospital - Boxing News

Former heavyweight champion Shannon Briggs may have been too brave for his own good. RTL reports that following the brutal twelve round beating at the hands of WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko, Briggs was taken to a hospital in Hamburg and still remains in the intensive care unit as of Sunday. Briggs was initially taken to the hospital as a precautionary measure to check for a brain bleed. After doctors confirmed that he only suffered a concussion, he was quickly sent to the intensive care unit after they discovered multiple factures on his face, including fractures under both eyes.

The ringside doctor said he would have stopped the contest after the tenth round but the referee had the final say. There appeared to be something wrong with Briggs after the fight, as he appeared to be unsteady on his feet. A rep for K2, told Alexander Pavlov, that Briggs' management and promoter, prior to the contest, told a rep from the WBC to prevent the contest from being stopped if Klitschko begins to land good punches, because the fight was likely Shannon's last title shot on the world stage.

man this is the shit i hate about boxing..when no one cares to pull a fighter who's too damn brave for his own good..i just knew that briggs would be fucked up after this fight...this shit is terrible..this fight should have never went the distance..after the 10th round i was screaming at my screen for the ref or briggs corner to pull his ass out..i hope shannon comes out of this ok and retires for good

Last edited:
To be honest it could have been stopped after about 7.

His corner, the doctor or the referee should have stopped it. He was 100% out of the fight. He could barely keep his hands up.

yeah 7 was brutal enough for them to stop it but 10..gotdamn man at the 10th round..see this shit wouldn't have happened if this fight wasn't in germany

Rough shit, hope he's ok, and yeah the fight should never have gone the distance, criminal really.

yeah 7 was brutal enough for them to stop it but 10..gotdamn man at the 10th round..see this shit wouldn't have happened if this fight wasn't in germany

Leavander Johnson wasn't fighting in Germany. Oscar Diaz wasn't fighting in Germany. Your statement is one only an ignorant American would make.

Hopefully he'll be all right.
I didn't see it yet, but I read a pbp and it sounded pretty bad.

I hope he pulls through with no lasting damage, he seems like a good guy.

man this is the shit i hate about boxing..when no one cares to pull a fighter who's too damn brave for his own good..i just knew that briggs would be fucked up after this fight...this shit is terrible..this fight should have never went the distance..after the 10th round i was screaming at my screen for the ref or briggs corner to pull his ass out..i hope shannon comes out of this ok and retires for good

Shannon Briggs recovering in hospital after brutal defeat to Vitali Klitschko - ESPN

no mention of ICU. you were boxing scene'd

yeah ICU sounds kinda drastic. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and retires

fightnews.com is reporting the ICU incident too.

Waiting for ringtv or maxboxing.com to clearify it.

Fight was brutal ref and the corner were w@nkers and should have stopped the fight. That was dangerous Briggs had no chance of winning. Klit took his best shots early on and was laying a solid beating on him. Rounds 8 - 12 were sad to see I did just want Briggs to lay down but it was apparent he was trying his hardest to survive.

espn has reported it as well as other fight sites

Now, he is in Hamburg's Eppendorf University Hospital with a broken left orbital bone in his face, a broken nose and a torn left biceps, Empire Sports and Entertainment promoter Greg Cohen told ESPN.com.

"He was banged up pretty bad," Cohen said, shortly after arriving back in New York on Sunday. "The CT scan came back normal, thank God. Shannon wants to get out of there as soon as possible, but he'll be there for a little bit longer. He's devastated. He really thought he was going to win."

Cohen said the biceps injury was the most severe.

"His biceps is a very serious injury and they have to do surgery, and he'll probably be there for a week," Cohen said. "It might require more than one surgery."

Cohen said rumors that Briggs, 38, had suffered a brain hemorrhage were not true and that he was resting at the hospital and had even joked around with him before he left Germany.

"I wouldn't be here [in New York] if he wasn't OK," Cohen said. "He was in intensive care after the fight for precautionary reasons. The injuries are not life-threatening. He's just banged up, but it's not life-threatening or very serious. Other than the injuries I described, everything else is OK.

"He walked out of the arena on his own. They wanted to put him on as stretcher, but he wouldn't let them. He's going to be fine."

Klitschko, 39, dominated all 12 rounds, but after about the seventh round the fight became a brutal beatdown. Klitschko (41-2, 38 KOs), with the best knockout percentage in heavyweight title history, continued to pound Briggs (51-6-1, 45 KOs), but neither the referee, Ian John Lewis, nor Briggs' trainers, Herman Caicedo and Eddie Mustafa Muhammad, stopped the fight.

Cohen wishes they would have.

"He trained for this. He was 100 percent ready mentally and physically, but I wish they would have stopped it around the eighth round," Cohen said. "I love Shannon. He's like family to me. As a human being, he is much more important to me than as an athlete. So it was tough to watch. But Shannon did not want them stopping this fight. I wish they didn't listen to him, but I understand. I spoke to his corner after one of the rounds and Shannon was telling him, 'I'm OK, I'm going to get him.' Even after the 11th round, he thought he was still going to do it. His will was never broken. If I was in the corner, I would have stopped it. But I'm the promoter, not the cornerman.

"I don't blame the referee at all. The referee did a good job. And I don't blame the corner. I understand, but my preference would have been for it to be stopped."

saw that fight this morning after the bute fight.

the guy had heart and was really pulling for him to go the distance. didnt think he looked that fucked up.
but hey im sure briggs still wouldnt have changed a thing.
proud of him sticking it out.

i watched with my pop who is a huge boxing fan and did boxing in his early life , he said out of all the matchs he has ever seen he has never seen that kind of beating and not of chucked in a towl

shut the fuck up

Back