Shane Burgos - Would he benefit moving up in weight?

MuayThai101

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Honestly even though he lost, i was super impressed with him. I just think he is a bit too slow against these guys at FW.

5’11 with a 75 1/2” reach at FW is pretty crazy considering he is also muscular. With his cardio, I can see him doing some serious work against the top guys at LW. He knows how to roll with punches but at least at LW he will see the shots coming a lot better. Idk man, I just really see him as a dark horse. With a few tweaks he is champ material. Him and Arnold Allen are guys you should follow. I see big things for both of them.

He’s big enough that’s for sure. He uh shouldn’t try to tank so many shots though

It's possible. He's an absolutely gigantic FW.

He would benefit from keeping his hands up, Tucking his chin, being more aware of his defensive opening and getting punched in the head less.

No, his primary faults are in his striking defense, moving up to LW wouldn't solve that. Moving up to a division where there's bigger guys that hit harder would only make it worse.

FW is perfect for him, he has a big size advantage over most of the division and he doesn't have a cardio or chin issue. Maybe he could get coached by Trevor Wittman with Gaethje, that'd be interesting.

I think he would. He's got a great chin but he's a little slow at 145 against some of these top guys. At 155 he'll still be big and durable, and might have a speed advantage. He needs to utilize his jab more no matter what though, use distance to his advantage.

Maybe, who knows, but I don't think so for a lot of reasons.

When sherdog had the "ask question to a fighter" thing.... i tried asking him about his weight cut

He would benefit more from improved head movement..

Came to say exactly this. Emmett put on a great performance but a big part of his success was Burgos not moving his head off the center line and eating the same combo over and over and over.

It might help him improve his skill. Depends on how much he cuts though - but I have read fighters say that when they move up in weight they spend more of their camp focusing on technique and getting better as opposed to losing weight. Their quality of training improves because they're not feeling depleted either. Since he has the size, it might help just sharpen his tools and correct some of those defensive issues people are mentioning.

No he needs to improve. He actually went into this fight believing he's a better boxer than Emmett. Anyone who'd seen these guys fight knew that wasn't true. With his take one to give one style he'd just get hurt going up. Needs to improve defensively. His offense is pretty good.

Why would he improve by moving up? His cardio is fine , doesn’t seem like the the cut is draining him

he needs to work on defense and range management(starting having success when he fought behind his jab) like others have been saying

He's doing fine at 145, just came in with the wrong gameplan against a dangerous Josh Emmett. Just needs better preparation. Dude is still a problem for many in that division

He doesn't need to go up to a division were his big size/reach advantage would be gone. He just needs to not fight that stupidly, without using his reach, stoping the use of his effective leg kicks, and allowing his opponent to use his head as a punching bag. Stupid way to lose a fight already on the bag. Just throw your Jab to set up your leg kicks on your sprained opponent.

Back