Shaming this Dojang! Similar experiences?

Honestly though i wouldn't even bother. Go to a kickboxing school and look up some TKD kicking technique instructionals. (Revolution of Kicking is great and all of its on Youtube.) It's not that hard to add the hook kick/spinning back kick, a couple combos, etc to your arsenal and you won't have to do forms or lame high section blocks. TKD ain't all bad but i think it's a waste of time in your case. Go with the San shou, you'll learn all the fancy kicks there, plus awesome throws! I started learning Sanda this past summer and it's totally rad. Too bad i'm in so much school. :icon_sad:

Kyokushin is gnarly too but doesn't specialize in kicks if that's what your'e after.

Yeah might do that. It's very hard to find Sanda classes in uk though, so might have to do kickboxing again. I thought about Kyokushin but then again it still teaches you all the traditional punches and blocks, which don't seem that useful.

Also, have you heard of a guy called Kwonkicker? He has some great instructionals on youtube. His videos are around 10 minutes for each technique and very detailed. I also learnt from him that TKD has a "round punch" similar to a hook in boxing. :icon_surp

Tigerarm, don't start that ITF bullshit. No one wants to hear about how ITF guys know how to punch when the competition format is glorified tag and doesn't allow for full contact strikes. No one wants to hear it from a bunch of people who literally make up less than half a percent of practitioners worldwide.

Second, Kyokushin has just as many, if not more variety in kicking that TKD.

the modern style of tkd has hundreds of variations of kicks init so are you sure about that? :icon_chee

But yes i agree the WTF bashing is silly. Having studied both ITF and WTF i can say the gentleman's post above is incorrect as they teach you to keep your hands up in WTF TKD. Theres some good things about both branches in reality.

Last edited:
the modern style of tkd has hundreds of variations of kicks init so are you sure about that? :icon_chee

Absolutely.

Not only is there more variety in the official curriculum of most Kyokushin lineages, different variations are practiced on a more regular basis. In general.

But yes i agree the WTF bashing is silly. Having studied both ITF and WTF i can say the gentleman's post above is incorrect as they teach you to keep your hands up in WTF TKD. Theres some good things about both branches in reality.

Keeping your hands up in WTF competition is counterproductive.

Tigerarm, don't start that ITF bullshit. No one wants to hear about how ITF guys know how to punch when the competition format is glorified tag and doesn't allow for full contact strikes. No one wants to hear it from a bunch of people who literally make up less than half a percent of practitioners worldwide.

Second, Kyokushin has just as many, if not more variety in kicking that TKD.

Hey, i don't train ITF TKD anymore, remember? Obviously point sparring is crap. We always did continuous when i was training, although not usually full contact. Not that i've ever trained WTF style, but what about my statement was wrong? Pull up a video from the olympics and you won't see anybody with their hands up or much punching. I'm just basing my statements on observation. As for Kyokushin they're probably about the same in variety it's the emphasis that differs. Again, thats an opinion based on observation so don't get your panties in a bunch, lol.

Besides, the TS just wants to improve his kickboxing. Learning to spar WTF style is going to be counterproductive.

I must have hit the lottery when I did TKD.

Our classes were a 10 - 15 minute warmup of stretching + kicks across the floor, 20 mins or so of pad work, and the final 25 were sparring. Increase both pad work and sparring for 90 minute classes.

We did ridiculous weekend retreats where we basically did everything a class would encompass without gear for an entire weekend mixed with camping and grilling. It was a weird mix.

Most of our tournaments were scored on a 10 point must system. Depending on the tournament, punches to the face and kicks to the legs and back were allowed. TKOs were frequent in tournament matches. We went 100% in the all sparring classes (2 a week) and around 80% in the other classes.

Hey, i don't train ITF TKD anymore, remember? Obviously point sparring is crap. We always did continuous when i was training, although not usually full contact. Not that i've ever trained WTF style, but what about my statement was wrong? Pull up a video from the olympics and you won't see anybody with their hands up or much punching. I'm just basing my statements on observation.

I don't really care what you did when. I don't want to hear the same old shit - ITF guys know how to punch and keep their hands up. Same load of horse puckey on either front.

ITF competition format allows people to pretend to punch, but in actuality, don't actually punch. What happens if you punch a guy right on the button and he takes a nap? Puncher is DQd for excessive force/contact. Pretend punching, not real punching.

Which leads to the second point. If you're playing glorified tag, obviously, your hands-up defense is built for some other application other than the business of defending against real punches.

As for Kyokushin they're probably about the same in variety it's the emphasis that differs. Again, thats an opinion based on observation so don't get your panties in a bunch, lol.

I don't have to make to make suppositions or wild ass guesses based on observation.

You'll have credibility with me when you have some dan rank or points for experience when the issues you speak to and fighters from the styles to whom you're referring have actually put your dick in the dirt.

Till then, same old buzzy shit.

what are u doing at a TKD school anyway? its probably the worst technique to learn to be actually effective in a fight. also 45 mins is very short for a class.

TKD instructers are usally old men who think there ninjas

Depends. Some of the older ones who did all their training in Korea are a lot tougher than some would think.

Yeah Kyokushin looks cool from what I've seen on Human Weapon and Fight Quest. I think the nearest club to me is a 45 minute drive away. Not too bad, but could be nearer. Does Kyokushin have the variety of kicks TKD does, e.g. hook kick, spinning heel, etc?

As for boxing, I highly respect it as an art. However, I have already learnt boxing fundamentals from kickboxing, instructionals, and been to a few boxing sessions to brush up my head movement, etc. Also, I value the respect and culture found in the traditional martial arts, which I find is often lacking from some boxing gyms.

^ There i underlined the parts where ,from starting a legit thread, you start sounding like a dumb douche.

Btw if constant bowing n scraping is your thing , then by all means but to say the culture of respect is absent in Boxing gyms is absent , is foolish n ignorant.

I doubt that KK has a greater variety of kicks than TKD has, other than a couple signature kicks that KK is known for(the KK low kick was taken from MT)

Lol, I've seen much negativity towards TKD, but I'm open to trying it. For those with TKD experience from a good Dojang, what would be the typical class you experienced? For example, what was the ratio of patterns to pad work to sparring, etc. At the McDojang I visited someone told me they never do pad work, but I won't base my opinion of TKD from this one experience.

It depends on the trainer. At my place I usually separate traditional and modern TKD. Forms, step sparring, self defense etc. are done separately on other days as sparring and pad work. The majority of better schools does it in a similar way.

Chances are you stumbled into a traditional session.

PS: the instructor not knowing what a push kick is is a huge fail.

I don't really care what you did when. I don't want to hear the same old shit - ITF guys know how to punch and keep their hands up. Same load of horse puckey on either front.

ITF competition format allows people to pretend to punch, but in actuality, don't actually punch. What happens if you punch a guy right on the button and he takes a nap? Puncher is DQd for excessive force/contact. Pretend punching, not real punching.

Which leads to the second point. If you're playing glorified tag, obviously, your hands-up defense is built for some other application other than the business of defending against real punches.

I don't have to make to make suppositions or wild ass guesses based on observation.

You'll have credibility with me when you have some dan rank or points for experience when the issues you speak to and fighters from the styles to whom you're referring have actually put your dick in the dirt.

Till then, same old buzzy shit.

I've already said I agree with you about ITF being crap, so wtf is your point exactly
other than busting my balls? Regardless of the contact rule, I'd still wager they're more prepared to defend punches than WTF guys who fight with there hands down and don't punch at all in competition. My point was he's probably just better off picking up a few TKD instructionals, if all he wants is to improve his kickboxing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back