Shadow Boxing

WDSTK

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Notice the pros and ex-pros shadow boxing without gloves. They go at different speeds from slow, medium to fast both hands and footwork. I always shadow boxed with 16 oz gloves fast for 3 rounds. I also do a round with 4 lb weights slow to medium speed. Was wondering the training science behind shadow boxing bare hand. Also asking for recommendations of rounds, speed and other recommendations for shadow boxing routine to incorporate in my daily training. I saw the prior video on the round by round shadow boxing which is good. Does anyone have anything to add to that video. I plan to ask my trainer but would like to be educated before I do it.

Allows you to get into more of a flow and work on pure speed without the weight of the glove. You can go more rounds and build a different type of endurance. Focus on footwork and placement... You can see more precisely where your hands are going. You can focus better on hand placement and closing the fist properly without giant gloves restricting your hands. All of this should translate pretty easy to when wearing gloves

Don't complicate this just train a lot and consistently. You can shadow box with or without gloves. As for routines. Just treat it as a excercise. I personally love the heavybag but shadow boxing is really good too. You can shadow box to warm up. You also can do rounds like 3x5 min and 1 min rest. Or 3x3. Or even a 10 minute round.
Advantage of shadow boxing over a bag work is the freedom of movement and not landing shots. Which will happen in fights too. Advantage of the bag is hitting the shots. To work power and mimic hitting a body.

helps with speed
but you have to throw with sprinting mindset

Try shadow boxing in front of a mirror with no gloves. And really study the mechanics of your stance punches and footwork. It was a real game changer for me when I realized how novice my tequneque really was and started trying to tighten up what I already knew

Back