Shadow boxing w/ 4 lb weights?

ImTechn9que

Blue Belt
Reaction score
is this ok to use for a round or so of shadow boxing or will this put too much stress on your joints or anything like that?

I haven't tried it personally because there has been a lot of talk that it can really screw up your elbows and shoulders shadow boxing with that kind of weight. Thats a lot of weight snapping around putting a lot of stress on the joints. I'm already an old fart and don't need to pick any more dings than I already have to deal with.

yeah i've only done it a couple of times only for a round each, afterwards my hands feel weightless while shadowboxing

i suggest u shouldnt, as u r getting use to slowing down ur punches cuz of the weight

I think its a bad idea. It puts a little to much stress on your joints if you ask me and probably will slow you down in two ways.
1: You are getting use to punching slower
2: You are building Slow twitch more then fast twitch muscle fiber which slows you down.

Read this thread
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=317898

thanks, at first i figured it was helping alot because it has the exact same affect as using a donut on your bat in baseball, because afterwards my hands felt so light and it felt like i was getting alot faster, i never really considered the stress it would be putting on my joints or anything else

different strokes for different folks. if it works for you then why not?

ImTechn9que said:
thanks, at first i figured it was helping alot because it has the exact same affect as using a donut on your bat in baseball, because afterwards my hands felt so light and it felt like i was getting alot faster, i never really considered the stress it would be putting on my joints or anything else

Shadow Boxing W/ weight does nothing for you. Think about weight lifting you lift in weights and set if you just do whatever nothing happens. Same concept.

Back