Setting up kimuras

Thaijitsu612

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I've recently started having a lot of success with kimuras. I've only really been getting them in scrambles though or when people just leave an elbow out and I jump on it. I was wondering though what are some good ways to set them up? Basically if I'm not seeing any opening but I want to create one what can I do? from any position at all

Caio Terra's DVD's are a great resource of information

From Guard.. Get their hands off of you and on the ground. Once there, latch onto a wrist and feed your other hand through creating the kimura grip. If they are straightening their arm out and making it difficult for you to finish it, bring your concurrent knee towards your own face which should throw off their tightened arm and give your even more leverage to execute the technique.

^^ My usual go to technique. I was so stoked when I landed it while grappling with my ex wraassstler step dad. It's nice to get it on my peers at the gym too. :p

From Guard.. Get their hands off of you and on the ground. Once there, latch onto a wrist and feed your other hand through creating the kimura grip. If they are straightening their arm out and making it difficult for you to finish it, bring your concurrent knee towards your own face which should throw off their tightened arm and give your even more leverage to execute the technique.

^^ My usual go to technique. I was so stoked when I landed it while grappling with my ex wraassstler step dad. It's nice to get it on my peers at the gym too. :p

but what do you normally do to get them to put it on the ground? Just smack it to the ground?

from guard, i will go for a scissor sweep. Sometimes they will post their hand on my lower leg (the one chopping at the knee) and i will grab the wrist then feed my other arm through for the kimura. After i have the arm locked up, i will usually used it to sweep and then finish the sub on top. it works well. you could finish it on bottom too and not use it to sweep, just depends on your bjj style.

but what do you normally do to get them to put it on the ground? Just smack it to the ground?

That is the question, isn't it? Breaking their posture usually helps: Pushing their hands off of you if they are posting off of your stomach/hips, knocking their knees down when they try to stand in your guard, arm drags, etc. Try to get them to place their hand(s) on the ground without letting them know that you're setting them up for the kimura.

This isn't a full proof thing, sometimes the guy just plays a better top guard than what you can handle and you won't be able to get too far.

Kimuras are fun. I go for them from standing or in the open guard even. When the guy in guard leaves their hand out I roll to the kimura. I just started experimenting with the rolling kimura

from guard, i will go for a scissor sweep. Sometimes they will post their hand on my lower leg (the one chopping at the knee) and i will grab the wrist then feed my other arm through for the kimura. After i have the arm locked up, i will usually used it to sweep and then finish the sub on top. it works well. you could finish it on bottom too and not use it to sweep, just depends on your bjj style.

Damn this is my bread and butter right here

Back