Serious Question Re: Encouraging an UFC Fighter to Retire

RogerD

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hey Sherbros

Last year I quit my job as Biomed Tech of 13 years for personal reasons- I just was not happy and it affected my mental health & well being. My job performance was going down and down over the years. I did not want to get another Biomed Tech job, I was just competely drained.

Now I'm doing the artist thing, living off my RRSP savings, preparing to sell my condo in next few years so I have cashflow.. etc. That kind of thing yeah.. I quit my job, but I believe in my sherbros' eyes- I retired.

I think truth of the matter here is.. we're asking fighters to QUIT. They wont be retiring, most of them still need to figure a way how to keep on living. Use up their savings and rely on their family & friends for support during this transition to a competely new unknown life they didnt consider up till now.

Im telling you.. its not a easy decision leaving the biggest paying job you've ever had. That is a HUGE life change. Retirement is only an option if you can afford it.

My question: Do you really believe fighter X is ABLE to retire? Or you mean they should just quit and do something else?

I do really hope BJ Penn & Diego avoid further damage to their noggins.. but its up to them, and if they want to keep on fighting- Dana, PLEASE make BJ vs Diego 2.

All the best
Roger

BJ vs Diego 2

In Bare Knuckle FC
<{JustBleed}>
{<Mcgoat}
<{natewhut}>

BJ could have afforded to retire before he started fighting, AFAIK.

In the case of guys like BJ and Diego, I don't think it's the money, it's just the lifestyle. I imagine those two are pretty set for life, it's just fighting has been their entire adult life and it's all they know and it's hard to move on from it.

Same goes for guys like Vitor, Shogun, Anderson, Mir, Fedor, Gomi , Arlovski etc. I highly doubt they need the money.

If you're a fan of the fights you want a guy to "quit" if they're not putting up a good enough performance (product). If you're a fan of a fighter you don't really care about performance but how they're doing or their health. Now which approach is more reasonable for the sport and the sportsmen involved?

Back