*Serious question about failing the weight cut*

Seiryoku Zenyo

We are all one
@Brown
Reaction score
I'll use Hendricks and Magny así a example.

Hendricks just made 173 lbs, he wasn't able todo get todo 171 lbs. I've read more than once about people saying that he would be drained and in a bad condition cause he couldn't get off 2 more pounds. Meantime, Magny appeared at 171 lbs, cutting 2 more pounds than Hendricks.

So, my question is: Isn't it possible that the guys that actually made the weight are more fatigued due to the cut than the guy (like Alves, Gastelum or Hendricks) that realizes he won't get the weight and "decides to trade" the last pounds with a purse cut, avoiding the hardest part of the cut?

Is it possible that Hendricks, with all his fight time weight and the "stopped" weight cut, is un a better condition than Magny?

Hendricks was cutting from 250
Magny from probably 180
Big difference

To add to your question, if say a fighter knows he can't make weight could he just accept the monetary penalty and just come in weighing like 20lbs more than the other guy?

To add to your question, if say a fighter knows he can't make weight could he just accept the monetary penalty and just come in weighing like 20lbs more than the other guy?

The other guy won't accept a 20 lbs weight difference at the weight ins. Plus, the Athletic Commission won't accept it either.

Hendricks just made 173 lbs, he wasn't able todo get todo 171 lbs. I've read more than once about people saying that he would be drained and in a bad condition cause he couldn't get off 2 more pounds. Meantime, Magny appeared at 171 lbs, cutting 2 more pounds than Hendricks.

So, my question is: Isn't it possible that the guys that actually made the weight are more fatigued due to the cut than the guy (like Alves, Gastelum or Hendricks) that realizes he won't get the weight and "decides to trade" the last pounds with a purse cut, avoiding the hardest part of the cut?

Is it possible that Hendricks, with all his fight time weight and the "stopped" weight cut, is un a better condition than Magny?

It's possible, but I doubt it. Hendricks was looking really bad during his pre-fight interviews. Like he was drunk or brain damaged. I think that Hendricks is an athlete who doesn't live like one outside of competition. He kills himself to prepare, but he strays too far from discipline outside of the formal preparation phase. A crappy lifestyle outside of camp, and a hard cut is damaging him and prematurely ageing him. It's taking good years and performance capability off his career and maybe even his life. The man just has a hard time controlling what he puts into his mouth.

yes. jon lineker used to have cardio issues due to his weight cut. then he just flat out stopped cutting and he was coming in great shape, and ready to bang with a 3-4 pound difference. then they forced him to move up, and hes still doing it. funny everytime he wins he brings up a title shot.

also have to think that if they arnt cutting well, they must be putting more on at a faster rate.

You never know for sure, but in cases like that people are referencing how difficult that last little bit can be when it appears your body has already given all it can. Imagine a towel filled with water, easy to ring it out right? Now take one that you already ringed out, and try to ring more out.... then more... gets harder and harder. Hendricks already squeezed about all he could out of his body at that point because he didn't prepare his body correctly for the weight cut. No ones fault but his own, but in cases like that where they DO make weight, it makes sense the fighter who forced his body even further to cut weight is more affected.

For a fighters giving up 30% is huge. No way he actively choose to miss weight. There are some serious issues going on with him though. His failed restaurant is probably a bigvpart of that

Back