• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Serious Movie Discussion XXXVIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
After how suspenseful Sinister was, I'm more interested now to see another recent movie go the tension route. I'm planning on watching the three Insidious movies and The Conjuring (I might also rewatch The Exorcism of Emily Rose, which I remember loving when it came out and which was an early effort from the guy who did Sinister) and I'll also put Paranormal Activity 3 on the list.

Well I didn't like Sinister, so this is all up in the air. For tension though, PA3 is the only horror i can really respect since The Strangers, which I would say it far surpasses on tension.

But some people truly don't get it!

There's a reason film schools exist, there's a reason people take classes and read books. My favorite part about studying film is that it's very intuitive, it's an extension of something that comes natural to all of us: Watching a movie, having thoughts and feelings as a result, and trying to articulate what we thought and felt. But just because something is intuitive, just because something comes natural, doesn't mean it doesn't need to be cultivated, doesn't mean there's no need for education.

I think you've extended to not just a dangerous degree but to a counterproductive degree the democratic nature of opinions. It goes without saying that everyone is welcome to their own opinion, but it should also go without saying that some opinions are stupid. Just as much as it's wrong to reject the claim that Back to the Future is the best movie ever made without considering the reasons behind the claim, it's equally wrong to accept the same claim without considering the reasons.

Another film studies quote, this one from Victor Perkins in Film as Film:

"What any of us wants from the movies is his personal affair. But, although we each assign functions, hence criteria, on our own behalf, our decisions need not be arbitrary [...] we have a duty to ourselves to ensure that our standards are as clear and consistent, as perceptively applied, as we can make them. Individually, we can do no more, but we should do no less."

It should always come down to the specific and individual claim. If someone's opinion of Taxi Driver is that it's bad, the "you didn't get it" claim won't always be valid, but it'll sometimes be valid because sometimes people say stupid shit.

I fundamentally disagree with this. It's really boring to say, but art's inherent subjectivity prevents us from talking about best from a position of intelligence (until we take it into more proper, quantifiable contexts). The more intelligent you claim a statement to be, the dumber it becomes by nature. It's like debating time-travel mechanics intelligently. There are intuitively smarter things to say, but there's an irony there.

Atheists run into a similar wall when talking about morality. We intuitively decide good/bad ideas and behaviors to ward off the self-destructive reality that nihilism makes as much sense as anything else. It's perfectly intelligent to be hedonistic. So as long as the conversation hasn't shifted, and we're still talking about best and favorite...this just doesn't fly with me, or logic, or reality. You may be tempted to bring up "the meaningful sense of the word" at this point, but I argue that that's a specific context separate from "personal best/favorite". It's meaningful to talk about "getting it" if you want to make claims against its importance, or it's attractiveness to others, or it's artistic worth, or anything EXCEPT objective good/bad.

My second thought on this relates to being a musician - and I'm kind of surprised this doesn't happen to you, being so deep in the film world and having taken steps that bring you much closer to film making than most - but I remember picking up a guitar, learning how to play it, and realizing that I destroyed a part of me that could hear a song and appreciate it at the most primal, instinctual level. I'm very hesitant to dismiss that context as ignorant and worthless. It's just another context, and I try to respect the benefits inherent in it.

We've hit this point before, as well. I never have and never will object to this on principle. My only problem is that you seem to move from this - that, for you, Persona shouldn't get bonus points for complexity because you didn't find it enjoyable - to a more general claim that the value of films like Persona is nil because they're inherently unenjoyable.

This is the move from subjective to objective that underlies my anxiety with respect to best/favorite. Your negative subjective opinion about the enjoyability of most artsy movies implies that someone else's equally subjective but positive opinion about the enjoyability of most artsy movies is fundamentally wrong because they're allegedly ignoring the putatively objective difficulty of finding enjoyment in artsy movies, when the reality is that what you consider a hindrance to enjoyment is what those people find conducive to enjoyment.

Your orientation to Persona and movies like it is fundamentally alien to fans of it/them, and because of this, it's not only unfair but impossible to generalize your experience as the baseline and to consign others' experiences to anomalies resulting from pretention, disingenuousness, and/or brainwashing.

I always make a point to specifically criticize the claim that it's more sophisticated and that these are more artistic moves being made, and I think I've made sound arguments to put the accessible right alongside them (above for me).

At some point in that conversation, I always ask whomever I am against to simply admit that they enjoy the abstract. That would alleviate everything. There would be no pretense left to condemn. You enjoy that, I don't, cool. No one's left talking about objectively better art. The refusal of that olive branch, I can't call it anything but pretense. I don't know what it would take to convince me otherwise, and I imagine you'd be wasting your time trying.

Too much of your strategy is to throw the baby out with the bathwater and that's just not helpful. Historical context - and anything else that comes into play when talking about movies - can of course be used for evil, but that doesn't mean it's evil. Things can also be used for good. You should stick to going after specific people and the contingencies of their claims. You abstract too much from specific shit and then move straight to scorching the Earth.

I don't think I do. I feel like I'm very specific with my targeting, and you are always fearful that I'm not, so we have to have this talk. But this talk always comes when you jump into a debate I'm having with a pretentious dude. You're always there to make sure I'm not what I'm not.

I know different people, but even so, I think you understimate how deeply the subjective/objective dialectic has permeated "normal" conversations. Even regular people know the difference between speaking for themselves and speaking for others and they just as frequently pin that to the best/favorite divide.

Then I have more work ahead of me. Can someone explain to me why, when asked what you think, answering with not what you think is the right move? More to the point, when answering what you think is the wrong move?

Sinister was a good call, skza. I haven't been that tense while watching a horror movie in longer than I can remember. I was even having the urge to bring my hands up or fast-forward at some parts just waiting for something to go down.

I'll have some specific points I'll get into in a bit, but in general terms, I thought the script was a bit weak but the construction of suspense was just shy of masterful. Some of the jump moments were predictable, but I really respected how patient they were when it came to creating suspense and delivering shocks. The repeated structure of wandering in a dark house could've very easily been either redundant and boring or cheap and schlocky, but they avoided both. The first time with the misdirection with the night terror kid was both clever and creepy and it kept getting creepier without ever feeling cheap (and the one scene where he was being followed by the slow-mo kids was the best scene of the film IMO).

To get more specific with the script points:

Strangely, where most horror movies put all of their energy in the horror aspects and ignore the characters, Sinister could've actually benefited from less energy spent on the characters and more on the specifics of what was actually happening. It takes forever before we learn what's going on, even longer for Ethan Hawke to learn what's going on, and then it ends. In between, we have all those moments of introspection on Hawke's part, we have those intervention moments with his wife and the Deputy, yet the one character with answers (my man D'Onofrio, who I was surprised as hell to see when he showed up on the computer) gets like ten seconds of screen time.

I also couldn't help but get pissed at how stupid Hawke's character was. How was he not on guard with his fucking kids? He finds out he's tracking some supernatural thing that tricks kids into killing their families and then abducts them into some other world, yet he doesn't think to keep an eye out for his potential murderer? As soon as his daughter drew that picture of the dead girl on the tire swing, he should've fucking chained her ass up. And just to be safe, chain up night terror boy while you're at it.

Also, like I said, the details were too scant with Mr. Boogie. I assume, since he has no powers/abilities in the physical world, that all of the weird shit going down in the houses was the daughter doing his bidding, but then how did all of the home movies get unburned? Seemed like a weird crossover in plausibility from the physical world to the other world.

They also kind of shot themselves in the foot with respect to how much emphasis they gave Hawke. If you're going to go so far into the detective storyline, then if you introduce a whole other storyline - namely, the little girl being "inducted" into the world of supernatural killer kids - that becomes even more interesting and relevant, it's only natural to feel shortchanged. How does Mr. Boogie get his supernatural kiddie Manson Family to convince new kids to join up? And what was the deal with them always shushing each other? That was a whole other level of the story that was completely ignored which led to a sense of abruptness once everything came together.

Lastly, once the daughter got the ax, they REALLY dropped the ball not showing her hack up at least one of them. The very idea of a little girl cutting her brother, mother, and father into threes is creepy as fuck, but the sight of her swinging that ax would've been a very memorable horror movie image. I couldn't decide if it was a matter of working conditions - i.e., could they get a child actor to pretend to murder three people with an ax and be ethically/legally cool? - or a matter of plausibility - i.e., could a little girl of her size even swing an ax to where she could successfully turn three human beings into nine pieces, and would the process of showing it and seeing her unable to really wield her weapon convincingly ruin the horror? - but either way, I felt like they failed to really maximize the horrific implications of that turn of events.
On the whole, I really enjoyed the experience. However, what kept it from being truly great was a weakness on the screenwriting level - and, from what I gathered, an all-too-fixable weakness rather than an inherent limitation in writing ability - but which, thankfully, didn't completely overshadow how strong the overall filmmaking was.

Wow I really screwed the pooch on this one- meant to quote you just on the Sinister stuff but clicked edit instead of quote, deleted everything beneath the Sinister part and then lost it when I tried to undo and restore it.

Very embarrassing- damn mod buttons. Sorry man- I hope you can somehow resurrect that megapost.

Anything I say about Sinister now will seem trite so I'll just leave it at that...

giphy.gif

Bullitt, severe misstep aside, I will say that Sinister really got to me with those home movies. That was some fucked up, tough to watch stuff. I particularly was bugged out by the lawn mower one and the Sleepy Time video. Usually horror movies don't impact me in the way that Sinister did.

However, I found some problems with the script too. For me, it was a few things.

First, I found it a little bit tough to swallow that Deputy Whoever eventually comes to the realization that each of the families who was savagely murdered lived in a home previously occupied by one of the murdered families. Holy shit- it's not as though vicious murders of whole families coupled with the disappearance of one child are common things. You're really telling me that no one put that connection together before? You'd assume that it would be common knowledge at least among law enforcement. I didn't buy that.

Hawke was a doucher too. Hard for me to get on board with him when he was a generally unlikable character. I also couldn't stomach the poor decision making and sad sackness of his wife who made multiple threats that she would leave if he didn't stop being douchey yet when he reveals more and more of his stupidity, she still sticks around.

You're right that it was a missed opportunity in a horror sense not to show the daughter doing the deed, but they probably though that would be a little TOO disturbing. I remember a lot of people being up in arms when little Miko Hughes slit Fred Gwynnes Achilles and then killed him in Pet Semetary

i had to sort through that post in responding to it point by point, and I think the rest was directed to me anyway.

But cmon man. Clean up your act.

i had to sort through that post in responding to it point by point, and I think the rest was directed to me anyway.

But cmon man. Clean up your act.

Hahah. It's been a long day. Your responding to each point was clutch. As always.

giphy.gif

Don't worry, I got it sorted. All mod edits are logged, so it's not like you edited it out of existence.

Now you know what happens when you skip the Noob Mod Workshop :wink:

I'll get to yours and Flemmy's posts tomorrow. Right now I've got one more episode of my new show The Mentalist in me and then I need to get some sleep. And I watched all three Insidious movies and The Conjuring today, so I'll be surprised if I don't run into at least one of the creatures from those four movies during my Sleepy Time :icon_twis

My second thought on this relates to being a musician - and I'm kind of surprised this doesn't happen to you, being so deep in the film world and having taken steps that bring you much closer to film making than most - but I remember picking up a guitar, learning how to play it, and realizing that I destroyed a part of me that could hear a song and appreciate it at the most primal, instinctual level. I'm very hesitant to dismiss that context as ignorant and worthless. It's just another context, and I try to respect the benefits inherent in it.

Man, this has been a good exchange between you two in the philosophy of art vein, but this paragraph hit home for me more than anything else.

Honestly, there are only so many domains of skill or knowledge that one can be informed about, and there are plenty of ways to appreciate those you aren't informed about that I think are underrated in their value.

I've always felt this way about music. It pains me as someone who prizes intellectualism to say this, but there are times when I dare to admit to myself that I don't want to know more about music than the very, very little that I do. Being an amateur allows me to forge a connection with uncomplicated creations in a way that I don't want to lose by delving into the details of form and history. Would I necessarily lose that connection if I was more informed? Maybe not. But even with film now I get the feeling that I really should know more about what I'm watching, and while I enjoy being pulled in a new educational direction it does take me away from the bare-faced, naive exposure I used to enjoy, that I try to preserve with music.

My girlfriend is a PhD student like a few of you and she often complains that she can't write creatively anymore because she's lost the impression of the blank template before her in exchange for a complicated mash of facts about period-styles and critical developments. It's classic paralysis by analysis. When I think of things I'd like to create as expressions of raw emotion or intuition I think of poetry or song, where I'd like to be just good enough to get what I'm feeling out into the world with some precision, but not so good that I'm thinking of doing anything more than that.

Anyway, bit of a rant but I really empathized with that paragraph, I hope I interpreted it correctly and that ufcfan4 doesn't delete it by accident :p

I too would like to express my appreciation for the verbal jousting between Gore Vidal and William F. Buckl... ehh I mean Bullit-and-Flemmy of course! It is very intresting and stimulating read between two diffrent schools of thought.

Strangely though, I too have often encountered people that complain about losing the "primal, instinctual" enjoyment they have for a field when they are forced to study it from a scientific, methodological angle. Personally, I cannot say to have experienced anything strictly like that myself. I think I approach fields and subjects much like how Bullit described his relationship to film-watching as being something intuitive:

about studying film is that it's very intuitive, it's an extension of something that comes natural to all of us: Watching a movie, having thoughts and feelings as a result, and trying to articulate what we thought and felt. But just because something is intuitive, just because something comes natural, doesn't mean it doesn't need to be cultivated, doesn't mean there's no need for education.

(that or I'm just not very educated I guess...:icon_chee)

Bullitt, severe misstep aside, I will say that Sinister really got to me with those home movies. That was some fucked up, tough to watch stuff. I particularly was bugged out by the lawn mower one and the Sleepy Time video. Usually horror movies don't impact me in the way that Sinister did.

However, I found some problems with the script too. For me, it was a few things.

First, I found it a little bit tough to swallow that Deputy Whoever eventually comes to the realization that each of the families who was savagely murdered lived in a home previously occupied by one of the murdered families. Holy shit- it's not as though vicious murders of whole families coupled with the disappearance of one child are common things. You're really telling me that no one put that connection together before? You'd assume that it would be common knowledge at least among law enforcement. I didn't buy that.

Hawke was a doucher too. Hard for me to get on board with him when he was a generally unlikable character. I also couldn't stomach the poor decision making and sad sackness of his wife who made multiple threats that she would leave if he didn't stop being douchey yet when he reveals more and more of his stupidity, she still sticks around.

You're right that it was a missed opportunity in a horror sense not to show the daughter doing the deed, but they probably though that would be a little TOO disturbing. I remember a lot of people being up in arms when little Miko Hughes slit Fred Gwynnes Achilles and then killed him in Pet Semetary

I felt the same way about Sinister. Loved that movie and those home videos fucked my shit up. Legitimately disturbing. I also really liked The Conjuring and Insidious (although the 3rd act of Insidious was always kinda weak for me). Insidious might have my favorite "right before the end credits" scare moment. Loved that scene.

I too would like to express my appreciation for the verbal jousting between Gore Vidal and William F. Buckl... ehh I mean Bullit-and-Flemmy of course! It is very intresting and stimulating read between two diffrent schools of thought.

Strangely though, I too have often encountered people that complain about losing the "primal, instinctual" enjoyment they have for a field when they are forced to study it from a scientific, methodological angle. Personally, I cannot say to have experienced anything strictly like that myself. I think I approach fields and subjects much like how Bullit described his relationship to film-watching as being something intuitive:

(that or I'm just not very educated I guess...:icon_chee)

It's hard for me to think of an analogous experience that someone else is likely to have had.

I grew up playing hockey in the winter, and whatever I felt like in the summer. My summer teams would usually be whatever random sport my hockey teammates had decided to go for that year. The best part was that beyond the pure athleticism and minimal transferable skills we got from hockey, we would all more-or-less suck at the summer sport.

But that's what made it fun.

I remember when I got older and people starting choosing the sports they were really going to pursue, and a couple guys ended up being really good at baseball so that when we played in the summer they got really competitive and acted like we needed to do better. But they missed the point. Most of us were in hockey camps through the summer and were working to get better at that. We didn't want to get better at baseball so much as we wanted to come together in our shittiness and have a good time.

It's a more social example, but it reflects a similar evaluation of naivety that meant something more than the drudgery of education (in that particular domain) could at the time.

That said, as an aged athletic failure I now play hockey with guys who have always played for the same reasons that I played baseball, and their lack of appreciation for the technical details of the on-ice game fucking sucks.

So I get where Bullitt is coming from too.

It's hard for me to think of an analogous experience that someone else is likely to have had.

I grew up playing hockey in the winter, and whatever I felt like in the summer. My summer teams would usually be whatever random sport my hockey teammates had decided to go for that year. The best part was that beyond the pure athleticism and minimal transferable skills we got from hockey, we would all more-or-less suck at the summer sport.

But that's what made it fun.

I remember when I got older and people starting choosing the sports they were really going to pursue, and a couple guys ended up being really good at baseball so that when we played in the summer they got really competitive and acted like we needed to do better. But they missed the point. Most of us were in hockey camps through the summer and were working to get better at that. We didn't want to get better at baseball so much as we wanted to come together in our shittiness and have a good time.

It's a more social example, but it reflects a similar evaluation of naivety that meant something more than the drudgery of education (in that particular domain) could at the time.

I grew up playing Fotball in the summers. And during the winters... Fotball in the snow. But enough about that!

I understand the difficulty in analogous experience... so let me try one of my own.

My ex is big into history and literature. She's one of those fancy pants fine culture types of people. Loves dresses from history and royalty such like (you can guess why we drifted apart rather quickly). Anyways, she would often complain - like Flemmy with music - that her education had ruined her primal appreciation for these things. She could not read a book or look at a piece of history without seeing the "net" around it. In what societal context was this book written? What does it say of the author? What's the authors relationship to feminism? Yadda Yadda Yadda. The usual questions always appeared in the back of her mind. She could not sit down anymore and just "enjoy a good book".

And my reaction would always be... THIS IS A PROBLEM!? Those questions are half the fun! Whenever I enjoy a product, I want to entrench myself in it, dig deeply into its various faccets and subtexts. Understand everything I can about it. Further more, I can't comprehend how these things destroy the "surface narrative" of the product itself. Arn't those two so intimatelly intertwined? I've never really experienced a situation where I enjoy something but do not wish to scratch beyond the surface of what I'm experiencing.

When I watch an MMA fight - I want to know what I'm watching. What techniques have GSP mastered? What strategy does GSP employ? What historical precedents have lead to the UFC's current iteration?

To separate enjoyment and a desire to learn more about the product in question sounds rather foreign to my ears. Arn't the two inherently linked, somehow? New information does not erase the previous iteration of a product, but merely adds to the repertoar of how I approach and appreciate that product. As Bullit said, it's an expansion of the intuitive.

I grew up playing Fotball in the summers. And during the winters... Fotball in the snow. But enough about that!

I understand the difficulty in analogous experience... so let me try one of my own.

My ex is big into history and literature. She's one of those fancy pants fine culture types of people. Loves dresses from history and royalty such like (you can guess why we drifted apart rather quickly). Anyways, she would often complain - like Flemmy with music - that her education had ruined her primal appreciation for these things. She could not read a book or look at a piece of history without seeing the "net" around it. In what societal context was this book written? What does it say of the author? What's the authors relationship to feminism? Yadda Yadda Yadda. The usual questions always appeared in the back of her mind. She could not sit down anymore and just "enjoy a good book".

And my reaction would always be... THIS IS A PROBLEM!? Those questions are half the fun! Whenever I enjoy a product, I want to entrench myself in it, dig deeply into its various faccets and subtexts. Understand everything I can about it. Further more, I can't comprehend how these things destroy the "surface narrative" of the product itself. Arn't those two so intimatelly intertwined? I've never really experienced a situation where I enjoy something but do not wish to scratch beyond the surface of what I'm experiencing.

When I watch an MMA fight - I want to know what I'm watching. What techniques have GSP mastered? What strategy does GSP employ? What historical precedents have lead to the UFC's current iteration?

To separate enjoyment and a desire to learn more about the product in question sounds rather foreign to my ears. New information does not erase the previous iteration of a product, but merely adds to the repertoar of how I approach and appreciate that product. As Bullit said, it's an expansion of the intuitive.

Hahaha fair enough. I won't pretend that the privilege I give to these intuitive experiences is something I can defend with reason. I can have exceptionally strong emotional reactions to some stimuli - especially music - at the drop of a hat, and I love doing it and wouldn't want to threaten that ability with any kind of greater understanding (especially as its gotten harder to do as I've gotten older). In some areas that threat feels inevitable. It is what it is.

Actually the recent Hannibal season 2 finale serves as a great example of a middle-of-the-road kind of experience. I was vaguely familiar with the story already before the show started, and when it did I was immediately feeling the shit out of the characters it presented. I loved Alana especially (which is why season 3 wasn't great for me, but whatever). Following the discussions about the show on here really helped me catch some references and make some connections that consolidated the whole of it in my mind. That set up me up to be blown to fucking smithereens by the season 2 finale. It was overwhelming ("wade into the stream").

So I definitely see the role that education has to play in the appreciation of art - it's just not a universal positive correlation for me.

It can work both ways. I'm not trying to put one above the other.

I'll use as an example the song Blue Orchid by the White Stripes

[Yt]sFcTv3mmsbc[/MEDIA]

K, so you can hear the song and instinctually like it (or not). But if you play guitar, now you're liking it depends on what's going on with that guitar part. That can be a good or bad thing.

So playing an instrument and learning the band is a two-piece (1 drummer, 1 guitarist) I instantaneously hear more than one guitar in there. I hear a bass guitar as well. This can add or subtract to the experience.

Next, I have knowledge of the recording process and understand that one guitarist can record more than one track on a song. This can work to its advantage or against it.

Next I can know that it actually is one guitar part/one recorded track. This has its own set of implications.

Next I can have knowledge of how octaves (a type of chord) can simulate this sound, and trying to play it that way will explain away some mystery, but not explain how he gets a bass note (not in a standard guitar range) in there.

Next I can know about effects pedals and then a whole new spectrum of knowledge and curiosity sets in.

I can learn and in fact do know the effect pedal being used (a digital whammy) manipulates the pitch of the note being played in a way where it can simulate a bass, and I also know that it has the capacity to simulate multiple notes being played at once (the octave chord). In the end I know precisely that it's one guy playing single notes using a pedal to create one guitar track. I also know which notes he's playing and can easily replicate it.

At each step there are reasons to be impressed or unimpressed. Knowledge can create and destroy the magic in it, but there's never more magic than knowing none of what I do and just hearing a cool song.

I don't think my liking this song means anymore than someone who is hearing the song/band for the first time. I don't think my reasons for liking it mean more. In explaining away how the song is played, I understand it much more intimately, but I'm kind of unable to just hear a song that's meant to simply sound cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back