• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Serious Movie Discussion XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely.

[YT]cGp-4NP76MM[/YT]

Combining Jessie's Girl with Alfred Molina in his underwear is the best way to get me to buy a Blu-ray.

But even from a writer's POV, I love how in that scene he rips off Tarantino's tactic of building intensity off information withheld. The "Ezekiel" scene in Pulp Fiction, "Sicilian" scene in True Romance, basement scene in Inglourious Basterds, all work off this conflict. Then he throws in his own influences with the Asian kid throwing firecrackers. He got that from Putney Swope - must-watch, it's a film of Robert Downey Sr.'s. It's out there on YT.

I agree with you. He doesn't exactly put out chart-toppers. Boogie Nights came closest.

Cheers man. I'll have a look right after I see it. Don't want to color my viewing in any way so will use your post as a jumping off point to post about it.

Excellent points as usual. I love all the scenes you referenced and I think that was a great way to highlight their commonality- scenes where information is withheld.

I love that scene in Boogie Nights. I feel like it's brilliantly executed in every aspect. Molina hits all the right notes- with his playfulness contrasting the fact that he's clearly a crazy, dangerous person. The choice of songs is awesome. That moment where Jane starts cracking up laughing. Of course the infamous point where Wahlberg legitimately zoning out due to tiredness (but the look on his face fits perfectly). I also always though Reilly was perfect in this scene, capturing spot on how unsettled someone would be in this type of situation. And as you said, the tension just builds in an awesome way.

There are four songs that I've never heard the same way since seeing Boogie Nights and three of them were from that scene- Sister Christian, Jessie's Girl, and 99 Red Balloons. If ever I hear them on the radio or some other medium I immediately think of Boogie Nights. The fourth is "I Fooled Around and Fell in Love" played during another great sequence in the movie- the pool party at Reynolds' place. Particularly, that scene where Little Bill has the indignity of watching his wife get railed on the pavement in front of a bunch of people while Ricky Jay talks to him about their next filming job very matter of factly.

Just a great movie all around. So many awesome actors in that one.

Gone Girl was weird. Not really a big fan. All the things that are compelling (the clues, the general mystery of what happened) resolve an hour in and then it goes on to fizzle out and die for the next 90 minutes.

It was like a Hitchcock movie that forgot that it had to regain the interest in the viewer. The drowsiness of Fincher's style made the 2nd half, especially the last 20-25 minutes, even less interesting.

Gone Girl was weird. Not really a big fan. All the things that are compelling (the clues, the general mystery of what happened) resolve an hour in and then it goes on to fizzle out and die for the next 90 minutes.

It was like a Hitchcock movie that forgot that it had to regain the interest in the viewer. The drowsiness of Fincher's style made the 2nd half, especially the last 20-25 minutes, even less interesting.

Did the end feel inconsistent for you as well? I mean Ben Afflecks decision...

Particularly, that scene where Little Bill has the indignity of watching his wife get railed on the pavement in front of a bunch of people while Ricky Jay talks to him about their next filming job very matter of factly.

"My fucking wife's on the driveway with a fucking ass in her c*ck!"

Inherent Vice is one of the funniest films I have seen in years; I was loling consistently throughout. PTA did a great job at capturing the magic of Pynchon if you ask me, in storytelling and humor, characters and style. The story may be sprawling, but I had no difficulty knowing what was going on and keeping tabs on the characters and their doings + affiliations + etcetera by simply paying attention. Not as flashy as PTA's recent efforts, nor quite as strong, but still really great nonetheless and in typical PTA fashion the film really strives on ubiquitously strong performances. Joaquin was great again, but it was Brolin who really stole the show imo. Might try to catch it one more time again before it slips out of theaters. Much like its predecessor, Inherent Vice definitely isn't for everyone.

Last edited:
Inherent Vice is one of the funniest films I have seen in years; I was loling consistently throughout. PTA did a great job at capturing the magic of Pynchon if you ask me, in storytelling and humor, characters and style. The story may be sprawling, but I had no difficulty knowing what was going on and keeping tabs on the characters and their doings + affiliations + etcetera by simply paying attention. Not as flashy as PTA's recent efforts, nor quite as strong, but still really great nonetheless and in typical PTA fashion the film really strives on ubiquitously strong performances. Joaquin was great again, but it was Brolin who really stole the show imo. Might try to catch it one more time again before it slips out of theaters. Much like its predecessor, Inherent Vice definitely isn't for everyone.

Cant wait to see that film. Havent read any Pynchon yet either, but something tells me I would love it.

Lawless was alright. Wanted to see it when it was in theaters a couple of years back but it eluded me till now. I don't really have much to say about it. It kept my interest and had it's moments but I felt like it never really took off or really got going to the extent I was hoping it would.

Pearce certainly did look fucking weird with that hair do though and had a good scenery chewing performance. Was disappointed that Oldman was only a cameo despite third billing.

Chastain and Mia Wasikowska are quite easy on the eyes.

Hardy basically took his character from Warrior, gave him a southern accent, and made him a bit more emotionally stable in his delivery of this performance.

Funniest moments for me were

the scene with Jena Malone, particularly when she describes how she met Owen Wilson and when she shows Phoenix the picture of their child. Phoenix's reaction there was laugh out loud funny. Pretty much any scene with Brolin was funny including the scene where his wife is chewing out Doc on the phone. Also, I was dying when Martin Short showed up. Would have liked to see more of him.

Keith Jardine like a fucking boss. Laughed out loud too with the guy at the mental health clinic/detox facility attempting to explain Jardines facial tattoo to Doc.

Also checked out a nifty little thriller called Deceiver with Tim Roth, Chris Penn, Michael Rooker, and Rene Zelwegger from the 90s. Felt like it thought it was more clever than it was but I would be lying if I said it wasn't entertaining. Roth kept his American accent more than in Reservoir Dogs but it's funny how when he starts to lose his cool he goes into that quasi-British yelling like in Dogs "Laaaarrry, I'm gonna die, I know it!"

What I respected about this movie, more than the plot twists which, I thought were not great in and of themselves, was the simplicity. A large portion of the movie is just Penn and Rooker interrogating Roth about the murder of a prostitute and it's a testament to all three of those guys that it remains interesting throughout. Rooker always does a good job of displaying gradually mounting, seething anger.

Well, after Martyrs it's time for the next film.

Basically i'm a compulsive buyer when it comes to blu-rays so I still have a big pile of unopened, unwatched ones.

So in your esteemed film buff opinions, which out of this lot do you think I should watch next?

I know it seems mental that I have all these unwatched films which I've purchased, but I do a lot of online surveys so I get a lot of Amazon vouchers which I use on films, and also when I get paid my first

^^^^^

Breaking Bad (complete series) - Duh...
Carrie (original) - I love this film. Seems to have lost a lot of cache though.
To Kill a Mockingbird - Atticus Finch should be everybody's hero. It holds up marvelously against the book.
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - You'll need to be patient with it. Gorgeous looking.
M - Wouldn't know how to begin describing the awesome..
Django Unchained - Tarantino is one of the few guys (along with Mann/Cuaron/Coens) who is getting better with story.
High Plains Drifter - Read nothing about it. Eastwood's most underrated work, methinks. Just badass all round.
There Will Be Blood - Duh again. I don't like it that much but it's quite the first-time experience.

Last edited:
^^^^^

Breaking Bad (complete series) - Duh...
Carrie (original) - I love this film. Seems to have lost a lot of cache though.
To Kill a Mockingbird - Atticus Finch should be everybody's hero. It holds up marvelously against the book.
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - You'll need to be patient with it. Gorgeous looking.
M - Wouldn't know how to begin describing the awesome..
Django Unchained - Tarantino is one of the few guys (along with Mann/Cuaron/Coens) who is getting better with story.
High Plains Drifter - Read nothing about it. Eastwood's most underrated work, methinks. Just badass all round.
There Will Be Blood - Duh again. I don't like it that much but it's quite the first-time experience.

I've seen Django Unchained and Carrie but only once and Carrie many years ago, so I need to rewatch really.

Out of the rest, M and Breaking Bad are the only ones i've heard loads about.
I think I might go for M because i've got to be in the right mood to watch a whole series of something!

Breaking Bad (complete series)
Carrie (original)
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
M-absolute must watch in terms of film history,pretty ballsy film for the 30s
Once Upon A Time In America
Rififi-defines the film noir genre
Django Unchained
Touch of Evil

Demolition Man
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?-goat performances ever given by women
A Streetcar Named Desire
Battleship Potemkin
/ Drifters
Requiem For a Dream
Cross of Iron-most underrated ww2 film
High Plains Drifter
The Others

There Will Be Blood-i dont think you can find 5 better films from the last decade
Spartacus
JFK (Directors Cut)

Big Trouble in Little China
The Birth of a Nation
The Cider House Rules
Trance

cant go wrong w either of those

Last edited:
Smoke some weed and watch Human Centipede 1 and 2 back to back

Imitation Game was dogshit. Like a 2 hour episode of the big bang theory.

I'm going to watch Birdman again before I review it, but it looks like Michael Keaton may get an Oscar before Leo and that's pretty fucking incredible.

Agreed 100 percent. It went on way too long. Should've cut 20 minutes at least. I didn't understand the billion attempts at humor throughout. It destroyed any sense of dark, serious tone it tried to create. It was very distracting.

Not a fan. The, I guess natural dialogue? in the beginning was cringe worthy. Tyler Perry was surprisingly good in this. I hated the ending. 6/10

...i kinda thought Gone Girl was a dark comedy/drama with the joke being those two assholes are perfect for each other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back