• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Serious Movie Discussion XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually, my mega posts are to catch me up so I can resume normal posting. I know this place is really jumping when every post I make has to be a mega post :D

I'd like to suggest you watch them over a few months, actually.

You mean...no binging?

giphy.gif

If somebody presents a possibility within a film's narrative that I'm newly convinced I missed, I absolutely am open to revisiting. Fuck, it's what I live by.

Just checking :cool:

I think Death Proof is Tarantino's worst, but better than almost anything most people make.

I wasn't a big fan of the "gulp" thing, but it's Mary Elizabeth Winstead in a cheerleading costume, so I can deal with it.

I'm kidding. I had a problem with what the fuck the scene was for. Wasn't a fan of her friends leaving her with that guy because lols.

giphy.gif

I believe you will come around to how I feel about this one day.

I await your reaction to The Force Awakens

Don't bother. I don't watch Star Wars and don't plan to. When it comes to Star Wars, this is where I stand:

lol you are a pretentious fucker aren't you?

giphy.gif

Star Wars is highly revered and I hate it, you gonna laugh at me for that too?

See my response to Ricky ;)

I don't give a fuck who Bordwell is

Just to clarify, when I said I was laughing at your response to reading such a landmark piece of scholarship from such an important film scholar, I didn't mean I was laughing at you because you didn't think it was the greatest thing you'd ever read. My laughter was more of the way you'd laugh if you were watching a UFC with someone who'd never watched a fight before and if, when they saw Roy Nelson walk out, they asked, "How is this fat, out of shape redneck a professional fighter?" That question wouldn't make them stupid, but because you know something they don't, you're afforded a different perspective.

Additionally, I've criticized Bordwell in a previous publication, so I'm not claiming he's infallible, either. He just wrote a very perceptive essay on art movies that I thought was relevant to the conversation.

Their is a difference between influence and following a structure.

How do you mean?

It excludes EVERYTHING made in the last 50 years.

In order to exclude something, it has to be possible to include it. Bordwell is a smart guy, but he doesn't have a time machine.

The character relation is relevant, but can easily be disputed. PLENTY of art films have characters with clearly defined motives and goals.

Your hypothetical refutation wouldn't be a genuine refutation. No two films that are part of a genre/tradition have the same exact attributes, neither in number nor in kind. That's not how genres work. If it were, then I could compare Commando and Out for Justice and say, since Out for Justice isn't about the military while Commando is, the former isn't an action movie while the latter is. Or vice-versa.

Genre is more complex, more flexible, more interesting than that.

Everything EVOLVES. Hell, "art film' has become a loose interpretation. Pulp Fiction can easily be considered an art film for its time before the Tarantino style was copied by others and translated into an artistic uniqueness through follow up films by the man himself. There was ZERO vagueness in that film though.

1) That things evolve doesn't invalidate the idea that genre involves continuity and placement within a tradition.

2) That the term "art film" is now a "loose" term implies that the term means/meant something. And that something is what informs contemporary films. Which was my point from the beginning.

3) I'd argue that it'd be very difficult to categorize Pulp Fiction as an art film in any straightforward way. It's, in Tarantino fashion, characteristically hybridized, so even calling it a crime film is an ordeal. I think it'd make more sense to call it a crime film with some art film tendencies. Even so, the fact that there are things that can be identified as art film tendencies implies the existence of an art film tradition, and in order to constitute a tradition, there has to be some kind of unity, or, one could say, some kind of formula.

the same intent through genre

Assuming that, by "intent" with reference to horror, you mean something like "to scare people," how is that any stricter than "intellectually engaging the viewer" with reference to art movies?

they are obviously thematically different as opposed to two horror films.

If you put The Omen next to I Know What You Did Last Summer, beyond being able to classify them both as horror movies, the degree to which they are "thematically different" is at least comparable if not equal to the degree to which stuff like Ivan's Childhood and 8 1/2 are "thematically different." You're just cherry picking which genre you actually take the time to think through and which genre you casually dismiss. And that's a time-honored elitist tactic that I wish would hurry up and become extinct.

Funnily enough the writing becomes much more satirical in the tenth season

I'm on Season 11 and I haven't noticed anything significantly different. It feels like I've been riding the same satirical track since at least Season 4.

Family Guy =

South Park =

I think it'd be more accurate to say Family Guy is Pepsi and South Park is wine.

Was that Bullitt i just saw taking my side in an artsy fartsy debate??

giphy.gif

I can back objective interpretation. There is a finite amount of things to say about what a movie means before you interpret yourself out of the conversation.

Evaluation...can't back that.

I can't back it yet, either, but I'm conducting studies.

giphy.gif

I feel like it sounds even sillier to give a reason other than "because i like it."

I feel like, in a conversation, "I like it because I like it" is the point of acquiescence. It's not the first card you play; it's what's left once you've gone through the whole deck. There are two ideas expressed in the philosophy of Ludwig Wittgenstein that are close to where my head is at here, one that is sort of cryptic and another that is a bit clearer:

"Explanations come to an end somewhere."

"If I have exhausted the justifications [then] I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: 'This is simply what I do.'"

The first, more cryptic idea begs some questions, namely why explanations come to an end and where they come to an end. The second, slightly clearer idea sort of sets the terms for how rational conversations about art should proceed. That is to say, rational conversations about the evaluation of artworks should be a matter of working through justifications. To start with "I like it because I like it" would be to simply refuse to have a conversation about art. But then, even if we engage in conversation, if we both know that the "essence" of our conversation is "I like it because I like it," then why do we bother in the first place? Wittgenstein would describe this as "running against the walls of our cage," and it's the tendency that inspired his famous line about how "what we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence."

Except I'm not convinced that we cannot speak about evaluation, nor am I convinced that entering the realm of art is akin to being caged. I'm also not satisifed with just focusing on persuasion, the act of convincing someone to accept your opinion on the strength of passion/vehemence as opposed to logic/proof. I feel like there must be something more than subjective persuasion, that there's actually the potential for objective proof. Only I have no idea how that'd work :mad:

Maybe we're talking about Inception. Maybe we're specifically talking about the van in free fall, it being in slow motion, and that it is creating tension and desperation for us in the dream levels below it. What can we say objectively about it? Slow motion is objectively good for creating tension and desperation? That truth will fall apart from example to example. There's going to be people who disagree with us on the Inception example itself.

In addition to Wittgenstein, I've also been reading J.L. Austin lately (any nerds reading: ordinary language philosophy > poststructuralism), and he talks about what he calls "the fallacy of asking about nothing-in-particular":

"Having asked in this way, and answered, 'What is the meaning of (the word) "rat" ?', 'What is the meaning of (the word) "cat"?', 'What is the meaning of (the word) "mat"?', and so on, we then try, being philosophers, to ask the further general question, 'What is the meaning of a word?' But there is something spurious about this question. We do not intend to mean by it a certain question which would be perfectly all right, namely, 'What is the meaning of (the word) "word"?': that would be no more general than is asking the meaning of the word 'rat', and would be answered in a precisely similar way.

No: we want to ask rather, 'What is the meaning of a-word-in-general?' or 'of any word* not meaning 'any* word you like to choose, but rather no particular word at all, just 'any word*. Now ifwe pause even for a moment to reflect, this is a perfectly absurd question to be trying to ask. I can only answer a question ofthe form 'What is the meaning ofV?' if "x" is some particular word you are asking about. This supposed general question is really just a spurious question of a type which commonly arises in philosophy. We may call it tie fallacy of asking about 'Nothing-in-particular' which is a practice decried by the plain man, but by the philosopher called 'generalizing' and regarded with some complacency.

Many other examples of the fallacy can be found: take, for example, the case of 'reality' - we try to pass from such questions as 'How would you distinguish a real rat from an imaginary rat?' to 'What is a real thing?', a question which merely gives rise to nonsense."

In dealing with these issues, I've been trying to eliminate nonsense as best I can. One way to do that is to stay specific ("Forgive me for wanting a little specificity" ;)). When you say, in reference to slow motion being "objectively good for creating tension and desperation," that "that truth will fall apart from example to example," I agree. And, what's more, that's as it should be. An issue that I think some people have with the word "objective" is that it conjures up ideas of omniscience, omnipotence, and transcendence, almost as if, for it to be "objectively" true here, it must be "objectively" true everywhere. But that's bullshit. I'm evaluating Inception. And I say the slow motion is objectively effective because it highlights, narratively, the slowing down of time from level to deeper level, as well as, phenomenologically, Leo and Co.'s (and, by extension, our) tension and desperation.

Now what happens if someone disagrees with that? If, for example, someone says, "Actually, I didn't find it effective," my first question would be, "Why?" Perhaps they say, "Because I wasn't invested in the characters." This conversation seems to be progressing nicely, except now we're not talking about the van anymore. Now we're talking about characterization. At this point, I'd launch into my shit about Nolan's utilitarian characterizations and his narrative economy. But now is that objective? And, regardless of whether it is or it isn't, is it not somewhat perverse to tell someone that what they felt was wrong?

"I just like it" seems to be the most sane and objective thing to say IMO.

giphy.gif

"I just like it" works for me right now because I don't have a vocabulary to explain why I like what I like in a satisfactory manner.

But surely there are such reasons, or at least surely some of those reasons are communicable. Expertise should be about finding the words for those, as much as peeling apart the formal elements.

My thoughts exactly. People like Kant (and, to a lesser degree but still unmistakably, Wittgenstein) have tried to put limits on human cognition and expression. I'm not sure what we experience on a day-to-day basis (difficulties conceptualizing or communicating things) are indicators of inherent limitations to our mode of cognition. Maybe some people just haven't cultivated their introspective and/or communicative abilities.

surely there are principles behind the things you like and you're arguing about their execution at that point.

HUNTER comes in with a Randian invocation of principles.

giphy.gif

I do feel that, when a person responds to an artwork, they're responding with everything they've got, that everything about who they are and what they believe contributes to that response. However, because most people can't be bothered to be introspective and don't explicitly adhere to principles that reflect their values, their characters are as confusing and contradictory as their tastes. And, worse yet, this laziness on their part is what justifies the claim that taste is subjective, arbitrary, ineffable, etc. A failure on their part is then ontologically reified as constitutive o_O

I agree at the very base level, and also with regard to interaction of parts adding complexity. What if I broke it down into three potential categories:

1. The ineffable, subjective response: "This just spoke to me."

2. The principled subjective response: "I prefer films with functional story-lines."

These are straightforward, they communicate the experience of the viewer in ways he can't explain (1) and ways he (thinks he) can (2). I agree with you that the line between these can become blurry, especially in cases where we find we enjoy an arrangement of parts when we wouldn't usually care for the parts themselves.

Then there's also:

3. The principled objective response: "The cinematography was masterful."

(3) is more difficult because it requires contextual knowledge. It may evaluate the craftsman's technical skill among other, similar craftsmen, or it may remark upon his ability to fulfill his stated intentions upon creation. I think (3) is important because in most cases the creator is trying to do something or invoke something in the viewer, and to tell him then that everyone just had an inexplicably pleasurable experience as a result of his creation would not do it justice. He would have to ask "did they get what I was trying to do?" and as soon as we start to discuss better and worse ways of doing whatever that was, we move into the realm of objective referents. In other words we naturally have to be able to speak about the art in the terms under which it was built. The trick is mixing those terms with the individual experience and meaning we derive from it, which takes emotional precedence.

I'm now trying to decide if the ineffable, objective response can be a thing, but I think that's a contradiction in terms lol.

Words can't describe how much I like this post. I especially like how you're working so straightforwardly from the premise that art is an intentional activity ("we naturally have to be able to speak about the art in the terms under which it was built"). You wouldn't believe how many academics deny that :confused:

Have you seen the episode where South Park spoofs Family Guy yet?

It's rather... enlightening.

I love Trey Parker and Matt Stone. They're geniuses. Unfortunately, they're also (or maybe just Trey is, but since Matt signed off on it, he has to share the responsibility) TREMENDOUSLY arrogant. I know, I know, all my Rand shit should preclude me from leveling charges of arrogance. But seriously, it just comes screaming off the screen. Look at the Phil Collins episode. "You'll Be in My Heart" beats (and rightfully so) "Blame Canada" for the Oscar for Best Original Song. What do you know? Phil Collins shows up in a South Park episode. And it's not harmless fun like Mecha-Streisand or even the Scientology episode with Tom Cruise and John Travolta in the closet. It's a lot more mean-spirited (especially that news segment where they throw some personal dirt out for literally no reason except to do it). They even have Phil holding (and at one point making out with) his Oscar in every scene.

The Family Guy episode felt the same way. It's like they hated the fact that they weren't the only game in town and they resented having to share the comedy scene with something so "beneath" their almighty greatness. Never mind that all of the criticisms they leveled at Family Guy were so painfully desperate and hollow. They kept repeating the charge that none of their jokes ever have anything to do with an actual, coherent narrative, yet they've ironically done some of the same jokes as Family Guy, and they did them after, and they weren't as funny.

The best example:

Family Guy - Season 1, Episode 2 - 1999 (Very early, way before the South Park episode, so nobody can say they only started doing things differently after and in response)

South Park - Season 10, Episode 3 - 2006 (Ironically, this is the Family Guy episode)

And there are a billion other examples of Family Guy jokes/references springing organically from the plot. Some of my favorites: Stewie referencing In the Air Tonight in the Poltergeist spoof episode because he's been sucked into the TV and the static sounds like In the Air Tonight; Cleveland and Quagmire squashing their beef in the episode where Quagmire has sex with Clevelenad's wife by recreating the ending of Rocky III; Peter quoting from the intro to The Incredible Hulk in his eulogy for Mr. Weed; and, in the most recent season, a Seagal reference stemming from the fact that Peter is being bullied by his sister and is trying to find a way to stand up to her.

In conclusion: South Park is painfully, even pathetically jealous, and their immaturity in their show (not to mention in interviews, where it's even worse) just makes Seth MacFarlane and Family Guy look that much better.

You seem to conflate the fate of the protagonist with the ability of the movie to be inspiring or not. If the protagonist wins, it inspires you to strive towards your goals and values. If the protagonist fails, it is a discouragement towards doing that.

This is accurate. However, it's accurate of what Rand is saying. I do admit to finding what she's saying convincing. What worries me is the latent fascism in this position; i.e., it worries me how easy it is to move from "Movies like Chinatown reinforce nihilism" to "Movies like Chinatown shouldn't be made," not to mention how easy it would then be to move to "Movies like Chinatown mustn't be made."

Still, I think it's eminently logical to say that, with a proliferation of artworks that deal in pessimism, nihilism, the defeat of hope, the lack of moral righteousness, etc., these same ideas may also proliferate in wider realms of culture beyond art. So long as this remains descriptive and not prescriptive, it seems right to me.

Chinatown did not make me feel that everything is hopeless. It taught me to loath injustice. Citizen Khodos did not turn me into a cynical asshole. It thaught me the sanctity of democracy and the free press, how important those things are. Barry Lyndon did not teach me that it is hopeless for a rootless, opportunist man to become content, happy and good. It taught me the value of having a deep sympathy towards the fates, lives and dreams of other human beings

This is valid, although do you think this is the way most people view these films? If it is, then art would seem to be on firmer moral ground than Rand feared. If it isn't, though, then Rand's fears about the moral bankruptcy of art would seem to be warranted.

In contrast, something like Bond is just airy reinsurance. I do not feel roused to improve myself or take a more valued stance towards an issue after seeing Bond. It's more like the perservation of the status-quo. Don't worry, supermen exist and keep the world afloot. That sort of things. There is no human connection between myself with Bond. Him winning does little for me except for stimulating my base emotions for fun and excitement.

Once again, I can't help but feel like this is a minority response. I'm particularly struck by the claim that Bond (and, by extension, similar action heroes?) have anything whatsoever to do with the "status quo." Isn't the exemplarity of the action hero kind of the point? Not to mention the fact that to say you have "no human connection" with Bond (and, by extension, similar action heroes?) means, I take it, that Bond (and, by extension, similar action movies?) carries no inspiration for you at all?

If this is the case - if Bruce Lee taking on the Japanese, Rambo refighting the Vietnam war, Batman taking on terrorists, etc., carry no inspiration for you - then, as I mentioned about people who don't think upbeat movies are inherently more enjoyable than downbeat movies, you should probably seek psychological treatment.

The Hateful Eight - I loved this movie in theaters. A lot of the tension was lost during the second viewing, but its still great. The dialogue is probably in the bottom half of Tarantino's catalog, but pure directing ability its up there with everything else he's made. Love how a lot of the shots were set up.

Good to have you back. I'm still working off of my one initial viewing of this one, but I'll be genuinely surprised if my enjoyment drops off. Even taking into consideration how pleased I was upon my first viewing, I'm actually expecting this movie to grow on me over time.

So do you want the good news first or the bad news first?

giphy.gif

Mary of Scotland was one of Ford's better films.

tumblr_mxsy2zahmJ1rimui1o1_500.gif

Glad you liked it. I saw it pretty late in my Hepburn obsession and wished I'd gotten around to it sooner. Ford very rarely dealt with female protagonists, but I thought he did a great job telling that story. And seriously, that sequence where Hepburn finally breaks down and tells Carradine she'll marry the doofus, and as soon as he's about to leave, they both hear March's bagpipes, that's Ford's old school silent filmmaking coming back. No dialogue, just the sound of the bagpipes as he cuts to Hepburn and March seeing each other, her in her castle and him approaching on horseback, and Carradine just closes the door, knowing there's only one man for her. And that close-up of Hepburn, HOLY FUCK, that whole sequence is a masterclass in directing, but that's the emotional gut punch. It's an incredible shot of an incredible face. One of my favorite sequences in any movie ever.

I suspect that I didn't like it for the same reason you did.
C:\Users\Kyle\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png

Beggars can't be choosers. You liked a Hepburn movie. I'm good :D

Her inviting in John Knox to smoke the peace pipe and him reputing her so callously was a great scene.

QFT.

That said, while the romantic stuff wasn't bad by any means it didn't match the standards of the rest of the film. This whole thing about pitting Mary inbetween an impotent, effeminate loveless man and the big, boisterous, manly-man that she really loves just came across as a bit base to me in relation to the aforementioned themes.

I loved it. The actual Darnley character was rendered a bit...over-the-top, let's say. But the actual split worked very well IMO, especially since it complimented the political thematic so well. As she was a politician by heart, so she was a woman by heart. It may have made "better sense" to marry Darnley, but she had to follow her heart. And the black-and-white split between her two choices helps to make crystal clear that following her heart is her only choice.

Also, why are you hailing Frederic March in this piece?

Because he's awesome.

Eldridge schooled Bette Davis when it comes to Elizabeth portrayals (thinking about The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex)

giphy.gif

Ricky13: The Story of Ricky-Oh13, likes to bring up the (valid) criticism that Hepburn always feels like Hepburn when she's on screen. Here I felt that there was a nice balance between the Hepburn-ness and the "acting".

That criticism is in no way, shape, or form valid.

The play between light and shadows was also really atmospheric in this one. Ford did a good job on the visuals front.

The Informer, which Ford made the year before (and for which he won Best Director) had a similar look. He collaborated with the cinematographer Joseph H. August, who also shot Mary of Scotland. And August, like Ford, got his start in the silent era, so they both had an old school visual sense that translated really well, and to these two films in particular.

I have to admit though... not sure what close-up you mean?

giphy.gif

When she's at the window looking out as March returns.

Really? The Last Hurrah? Best Ford movie? Was it an automatic win for you becuse it starred Spencer Tracy? Was it an automatic win becuse it reminded you of The Fountainhead? It was, wasn't it? You are going to post that Rand quote about romantic heroes again as a reply, arn't you? Do you realize that this entire paragraph is just a bunch of question marks?

I'd actually never connected The Last Hurrah and The Fountainhead, and I probably never would've. And even now, after you mentioned it, I wouldn't connect them. The Fountainhead is about a morally upright individual fighting for what's right and refusing to compromise. The Last Hurrah is about a morally gray individual fighting with questionable tactics in a world that has passed him by and accepting, with dignity if not grace, that his time is up. Howard Roark wouldn't know the meaning of the word "regret" because his values are strong and his mind is strong enough to hold onto them. Frank Skeffington knows only too well the meaning of the word "regret" because he's spent most of his life playing both ends against the middle without so much as a compass in his search for the right way to live (as a politician, a husband, a father, and a man).

Very different movies in very different worlds about very different people.

It's just the "saintly, upright man fighting against the wicked cartoon villians" again.

Sorry for being so blunt, but if you think Frank Skeffington is a "saintly" character, then you weren't paying attention.

The are evil and petty and wish nothing more than to see him destroyed and humiliated but he's just such a principled übermensch that it will never work!

That description only applies to Carradine's character. Oh, and it does work!

Sure, the scene where the reporter grts explained the true reason why Spencer is at the funeral has some investment, but in the end its just about saying what a saint Spencer is, again.

But he's clearly not a saint. Even that scene underlines the ambivalence. He straight up lies to the widow's face. He's clearly putting on a show for everybody. He's playing a role. I'm not saying there's nothing genuine, but it's certainly not all saintly behavior. And that's the point.

And how the hell did Tracy lose that election anyways?

Because he's a dinosaur. His species is extinct. One of the main themes of the film is the inexorable passage of time. He takes his nephew to his old neighborhood, where, back in the day, everything and everyone was so different. He wants to hold on to that all the while knowing that the world he's living in is not that old world in his memory. Nothing stays the same. He can't be mayor forever. Times change, people change, and when you can't change anymore, you die. And when your time comes, you hope you lived a life that you don't have to regret. And a big part of Tracy's journey is reconciling his choices with his view of himself, and quite apart from everybody else's views, be it the views of his inner circle or of his opponents.

Inception spends its first half building the world, the relative position of the players.

And not just their positions with respect to the plot (who is responsible for what) but their positions with respect to each other. You're right that Nolan spends a lot of time building that world, and that comes with a lot of exposition. Yet, despite having to cram in so much information, he still takes the time to develop relationships. On rewatches these days, I love more and more the Leo/Hardy relationship. It's almost like Hardy is an older brother figure. Leo seeks his counsel, yet, as brothers, they tend to be combative ("I see your spelling hasn't improved" / "Piss off."). They also clearly find one another amusing. Hardy's reaction when Leo suggests meeting back at the bar once he loses the Cobol tail is priceless.

Then, of course, there's the Hardy/JGL relationship. All venom. But then there's that wonderful little moment in the hotel when JGL is putting Hardy to sleep to get to the last level ("Security's gonna run you down hard" / "And I will lead them on a merry chase").

You've also got Leo and Watanabe, of course, but then Watanabe also develops a funny little relationship with Hardy (one of my more recent favorite moments is when Watanabe, as he's dying, recalls Hardy's earlier line about how there's no room for tourists).

And tons more. So many people act like Inception is two and a half hours of exposition, but it's so much more, so much, dare I say, deeper.

partyjeep_inception.gif

In addition to Wittgenstein, I've also been reading J.L. Austin lately (any nerds reading: ordinary language philosophy > poststructuralism), and he talks about what he calls "the fallacy of asking about nothing-in-particular":

"Having asked in this way, and answered, 'What is the meaning of (the word) "rat" ?', 'What is the meaning of (the word) "cat"?', 'What is the meaning of (the word) "mat"?', and so on, we then try, being philosophers, to ask the further general question, 'What is the meaning of a word?' But there is something spurious about this question. We do not intend to mean by it a certain question which would be perfectly all right, namely, 'What is the meaning of (the word) "word"?': that would be no more general than is asking the meaning of the word 'rat', and would be answered in a precisely similar way.

No: we want to ask rather, 'What is the meaning of a-word-in-general?' or 'of any word* not meaning 'any* word you like to choose, but rather no particular word at all, just 'any word*. Now ifwe pause even for a moment to reflect, this is a perfectly absurd question to be trying to ask. I can only answer a question ofthe form 'What is the meaning ofV?' if "x" is some particular word you are asking about. This supposed general question is really just a spurious question of a type which commonly arises in philosophy. We may call it tie fallacy of asking about 'Nothing-in-particular' which is a practice decried by the plain man, but by the philosopher called 'generalizing' and regarded with some complacency.

Many other examples of the fallacy can be found: take, for example, the case of 'reality' - we try to pass from such questions as 'How would you distinguish a real rat from an imaginary rat?' to 'What is a real thing?', a question which merely gives rise to nonsense."

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've been trying to eliminate nonsense as best I can.

Haha...the fuck you have.

One way to do that is to stay specific ("Forgive me for wanting a little specificity" ;)). When you say, in reference to slow motion being "objectively good for creating tension and desperation," that "that truth will fall apart from example to example," I agree. And, what's more, that's as it should be. An issue that I think some people have with the word "objective" is that it conjures up ideas of omniscience, omnipotence, and transcendence, almost as if, for it to be "objectively" true here, it must be "objectively" true everywhere. But that's bullshit. I'm evaluating Inception. And I say the slow motion is objectively effective because it highlights, narratively, the slowing down of time from level to deeper level, as well as, phenomenologically, Leo and Co.'s (and, by extension, our) tension and desperation.

Now what happens if someone disagrees with that? If, for example, someone says, "Actually, I didn't find it effective," my first question would be, "Why?" Perhaps they say, "Because I wasn't invested in the characters." This conversation seems to be progressing nicely, except now we're not talking about the van anymore. Now we're talking about characterization.

What if they said "the slow motion clashed too much with and took me out of the frenetic pace of the levels below."

That would be a valid argument against tension-building, at the very least.

We bring too much of ourselves into every experience, and helplessly so. I don't believe we are even capable of fully removing our own biases when we are evaluating through what is essentially are own reactions.

I just think the best we can do is "i just liked it" and whatever we can manage through subjective persuasion.

Is the King's Speech a good movie?

I'm into drama films and heard good things about this one,so anyone seen this?
Was it good and how did you rate it?

Is the King's Speech a good movie?

I'm into drama films and heard good things about this one,so anyone seen this?
Was it good and how did you rate it?

I wouldn't bother (not a great film), though it would depend on what it's up against.

What's the other choice? Usually when folks ask on here, it's, "Which of these should I watch?"

I wouldn't bother (not a great film), though it would depend on what it's up against.

What's the other choice? Usually when folks ask on here, it's, "Which of these should I watch?"

Have you seen it?And how would you rate it?
It's a drama film so I know what I'm expecting,nothing flashy.
My question would be is it a good one..

I do like films like There Will be Blood or Lincoln and which have some historical context to them.
Depends on my mood,last week I saw No Country for Old Men,this week I feel like watching something like this.
So it's see or skip for me ;)

If you have a better recommendation though...

Have you seen it?And how would you rate it?
It's a drama film so I know what I'm expecting,nothing flashy.
My question would be is it a good one..

I do like films like There Will be Blood or Lincoln and which have some historical context to them.
Depends on my mood,last week I saw No Country for Old Men,this week I feel like watching something like this.
So it's see or skip for me ;)

If you have a better recommendation though...

Yes, I have seen it. It relies on its Britishness to convey gravity. I don't rate it. I normally say watch everything you get your hands on, and hell, go for it if you've got nothing else.

But it ain't No Country, Lincoln or There Will be Blood.

If you're looking for something with a historical angle try Amadeus. It's not accurate or anything but a hell of a film. My favorite's probably Spike Lee's Malcolm X. Selma was pretty good too.

Enjoy!

And not just their positions with respect to the plot (who is responsible for what) but their positions with respect to each other. You're right that Nolan spends a lot of time building that world, and that comes with a lot of exposition. Yet, despite having to cram in so much information, he still takes the time to develop relationships. On rewatches these days, I love more and more the Leo/Hardy relationship. It's almost like Hardy is an older brother figure. Leo seeks his counsel, yet, as brothers, they tend to be combative ("I see your spelling hasn't improved" / "Piss off."). They also clearly find one another amusing. Hardy's reaction when Leo suggests meeting back at the bar once he loses the Cobol tail is priceless.

Then, of course, there's the Hardy/JGL relationship. All venom. But then there's that wonderful little moment in the hotel when JGL is putting Hardy to sleep to get to the last level ("Security's gonna run you down hard" / "And I will lead them on a merry chase").

You've also got Leo and Watanabe, of course, but then Watanabe also develops a funny little relationship with Hardy (one of my more recent favorite moments is when Watanabe, as he's dying, recalls Hardy's earlier line about how there's no room for tourists).

And tons more. So many people act like Inception is two and a half hours of exposition, but it's so much more, so much, dare I say, deeper.

partyjeep_inception.gif

I think this is what you've leant the film. There's little by way of event or beat that draws a line from say, Ariadne's characterisation as someone drawn by the allure of "pure creation" to someone who cares more than the rest (say Arthur) about the danger of Cobb's malevolent projection (Mal). It's there because, well, we need it to be.

It's this kind of detail that keeps Nolan at a distance for me. Inception is about the puzzle. His films routinely centralise a relationship about which the themes pivot (Cobb and Mal, Coop and Murph, Bruce and Arthur). Everyone else serves plot, whilst sporadically entering the fray to reinforce a theme or two when the two biggies are apart. Consider Amelia's conveniently recalling a relationship to reinforce the importance of Coop and Murph's love. Or the awkward portrayal of Rachel's relationship with Harvey, which exists to remind us of Batman's inner conflict (Batman may have no limits, but Bruce does) - that remains the most hideous love triangle I've witnessed in a good film.

I think Nolan does his best with this. He knows to nudge us in the right direction at any cost, and unlike a lot of his critics, I don't think he can't demonstrate genuine emotion on screen, because his central relationships fucking sing. But since he's so committed to the real-world labyrinth, it's a (decent) trade-off. It's either that, or go off the deep end by no longer rooting the film in a reality that suggests real world logic. I don't think he possesses the sheer abandon required to execute the latter. If I was being kind, I'd say maybe he doesn't want to because he enjoys his ability to draw in the numbers through what Flem refers to as the "cool shit" - rotating hallways, tesseracts, back breaking, black holes, "powerful" sedatives, shared dream-space, time dilation etc.

I struggle to reconcile these two sides of his as a viewer. It's inherently un-dreamy for dreams to possess "levels". But fuck me it's fun.

I love Trey Parker and Matt Stone. They're geniuses. Unfortunately, they're also (or maybe just Trey is, but since Matt signed off on it, he has to share the responsibility) TREMENDOUSLY arrogant. I know, I know, all my Rand shit should preclude me from leveling charges of arrogance. But seriously, it just comes screaming off the screen. Look at the Phil Collins episode. "You'll Be in My Heart" beats (and rightfully so) "Blame Canada" for the Oscar for Best Original Song. What do you know? Phil Collins shows up in a South Park episode. And it's not harmless fun like Mecha-Streisand or even the Scientology episode with Tom Cruise and John Travolta in the closet. It's a lot more mean-spirited (especially that news segment where they throw some personal dirt out for literally no reason except to do it). They even have Phil holding (and at one point making out with) his Oscar in every scene.

South Park always seem to have a tendency to want to criticism from very high-flung, arrogant places but never actually participate in the debates and offer any substantial, in-depth alternatives themselves. Portraying themselves as interlectual heavyweight yet never actually engaging in any meaningful ways with the issues they so love to argue about.

That is to say, a teenager online.

Haven't seen much of the show in like a decade though...

This is accurate. However, it's accurate of what Rand is saying. I do admit to finding what she's saying convincing. What worries me is the latent fascism in this position; i.e., it worries me how easy it is to move from "Movies like Chinatown reinforce nihilism" to "Movies like Chinatown shouldn't be made," not to mention how easy it would then be to move to "Movies like Chinatown mustn't be made."

Mind expanding on that sentance? If objectivism is true. And if the inherent nihilism of Chinatown is true. Then why is placing Chinatown in a black book a bad thing?

Still, I think it's eminently logical to say that, with a proliferation of artworks that deal in pessimism, nihilism, the defeat of hope, the lack of moral righteousness, etc., these same ideas may also proliferate in wider realms of culture beyond art. So long as this remains descriptive and not prescriptive, it seems right to me.

So we're basically gone down the rabbit hole of which virtues media is supposed to promote?

Let me counterattack in the one of the most pretentious manners possible, talking politics.

You and Rand talk about heroism, pursuing your values, and righteousness. Can't a proliferation of those virtues have negative impacts as well?

Take the American engagement in Iraq as an example. What did The Bush and Company say? Freedom. Democracy. An end to Dictatorship. They wished to build a new Iraq in the middle of the Middle East that would possess western values and thus have a friendly relationship with America. That was their reasoning. And most of the American public supported them behind this. Even many of those who opposed the invasion thought that the implementation of western values was a good side effect.

I do not buy the whole "The Bush and Company are evil meglomaniacs" stick. The actually wanted to see Iraq improve. This was heroism for them. This was them fighting for their goals and values. This was the right thing to do. They were hopefull that it would work.

But it didn't work... because they are idiots. They assumed that if they scratched Iraq long enough, western values would naturally proliferate. It didn't. Because the socio-cultural dynamics of Iraq are vastly different from those of the US. They where thoroughly ill-equiped and ill-informed for the task they set for themselves.

So what I'm saying is, that those same virtues can make us take foolhardy, ill-informed decision that cause great damage. If we are going to talk about proliferating values. Then wouldn't things like wisdom, prudence, frugality be more natural options?

Also, a question? If people have an natural inclination towards liking upbeat movies over downbeat movies, then why the common-existence of downbeat movies? Especially among more "prestigious", "ambitious" moviemakers?

This is valid, although do you think this is the way most people view these films?

You are going to shoulder me with THAT question? Gesh I hope that wasn't a something you asked the students on their exams.:p

Obviously, that is very difficult to answer. How is what people learn and experience from movies quantifiable mesurable anyways? How wide is the range of subjective experience?

Not to mention that most people arn't aware what they learn anyways. Take Barry Lyndon for example. If you where to interview people walking out of the theater after seeing that picture, what would they say? Most would probably say something like "Limey got his leg blown off, bro! It was like Robocop during the middle ages!"

Now, that is what they might verbalize, but what they took away might be something entirely different. Kubrick filled that movie with so much empathy for Barry Lyndon. Empathy isn't inborn, it is fostered, you need to learn empathy through seeing and feeling it, through socialization.

However, being cognatively aware of *empathy* is a lot more difficult than being cognatively aware of some limey getting his leg blown off. The levels of abstractions are so far apart that most cannot conceptualize one of them. However, it definitively may nest in their subconcious. It teachers them without them being aware of it.

And yes -- that is a non-answer!:D

However, if you're looking for a more concrete answer, there is Scarface. Now, I don't know what your upbringing was like. But I grew up in one of those immigrant-heavy communities where every single fucking bastard had Scarface as their favorite movie! You don't know the paine I went through trying to discuss favorite movies with people and everyone would just say Scarface, Scarface, Scarface. Tony Montana gets a shotgun blast to the spine yet people still idolize him. Scarface is an example where people have taken a decisively downbeat movie and interpreted it as an upbeat one.

I'm particularly struck by the claim that Bond

I mostly used Bond as an example becuse you yourself referenced it. Shit, maybe I could say something smart about my connection to Bond if I really thought about it. But I want to write about other things now!

Rambo refighting the Vietnam war,

Is this the wrong time to admit that I'm not a fan of Rambo 2?

Batman taking on terrorists

No (and the following explanation is applicable to Rambo 2 as well). I do not relate to Batman taking on terrorists becuse the terrorists in the Batman films are so disconnected from real-life terrorists. I do not connect Batman terrorists to real-life terrorist becuse their manners, identity, way-of-thinking-and-operating, everything in fact... is so fundementally diffrent from what is going on in reality. Cinematic villians do not have to 100% correspond to real-life equivalence, but the similarity has to be big enough for vicarious living to unfold.

Batman terrorists are fictional, obviously, but they still have to be molded after something we can connect to. They have to possess some of the abstract characteristic that terrorists hold which can trigger a connection.

Speaking of TDKR -- do you know what was one of the most intresting moments in that film for me? When Bane and his henchmen are on the plane, and he tells one of them that he has to go down with the plane to cover their tracks. The henchmen doesn't bat an eye. He is ecstatic to be martyred. I wanted Bane and his posse to be explored further along those lines. That is the sort of stuff that creates connection, not simply telling me that they are terrorists. That dream of martyrdoom is something that is abundant among actual terrorists. It is an abstract characteristic of their profession that I could relate to.

Shit... that's one of the reasons I love Fury Road so much.

If this is the case - if Bruce Lee taking on the Japanese

That last scene in Fist of Fury where Lee performs one final, defiant flykick at the assembled troops right before their gunfire resounds?

4238572-i+feel+it.gif

So yeah, there are plenty of action movies that enliven my soul. But context is supreme to why some work and others don't. But since I am such a pedantic asshole I have to write a lenghty post about those that don't.:cool:

Ford very rarely dealt with female protagonists, but I thought he did a great job telling that story.

His last film, 7 women, Is also a really great story with female protagonists, only a bit awkwardly named since only two of them are truly central. :D

That final scene where Anne Bancroft utters the line "So long ya bastard" and sacrifices herself is one of the emotional peaks of Ford's carrer.

This is a funny gif. You should use it more. It will win you popularity points.

To summarize every Bette Davis film I've ever seen. The dame is a darn fine thespian but maaaan am I not the target audience for her movies. Women like Hepburn and Crawford tend to star in films that have cross-over appeal which hers lack.

in a world that has passed him by and accepting, with dignity if not grace, that his time is up. Howard Roark wouldn't know the meaning of the word "regret"because his values are strong and his mind is strong enough to hold onto them. Frank Skeffington knows only too well the meaning of the word "regret" because he's spent most of his life playing both ends against the middle without so much as a compass in his search for the right way to live (as a politician, a husband, a father, and a man).

He does? But he turns his defeat into a potential victory. As soon as he losses the election he announces his bid for governorship. Even when he's confined to his bed after the heartattack, he's still planning for his campaign for governour, like the giddy fucker that he is.

Not the mention, the literal last line of the movies.

He is in his bed. His enemy is near. His enemy says that if Tracy re-lived his life he would do things diffrently.

Tracy's eyes spring open and he says "Like Hell I Would".

That is not a man wallowing in regreat. That is a man proud of himself. Even through all the hardship he's encountered a wouldn't change a thing.

But he's clearly not a saint. Even that scene underlines the ambivalence. He straight up lies to the widow's face. He's clearly putting on a show for everybody. He's playing a role. I'm not saying there's nothing genuine, but it's certainly not all saintly behavior. And that's the point.

But he does it for aulturistic reasons. He attents the funeral, drawing a crowd, so that the widow can feel like her husband was someone important. He lies to her about his feelings of her late-husband, to comfort her. Tracy uses lies and deception but they are to sooth the pain of others.

As the guy tells the reporter, Tracy could draw a crowd by standing in a street corner smoking a cigarre. He doesn't need the funeral as a gathering point. He is a gathering point.

tumblr_nwhr5cSsNO1qmynhyo1_400.gif

Holiday is one of the most genuine romances out there. That scene in the play room as the New Year dawns is incredible, then Hepburn talking with Lew Ayres. It's gold, Jerry. Gold!
The appeal of Holiday is Grant's hesitance about the shift in lifestyles as you get older. The vacillating between being youthfully optimistic about life,and experiencing things, versus taking the security of a traditional life is the hook of the movie. Hepburn isnt even the best side player on Grant's quest - Ayres is.

I ordered Hateful 8 on demand. I know it has mediocre reviews but imo Quentin deserves the benefit of the doubt from me after 20+ years of quality.

I ordered Hateful 8 on demand. I know it has mediocre reviews but imo Quentin deserves the benefit of the doubt from me after 20+ years of quality.
Fuck those reviews. Film was great

Fuck those reviews. Film was great

I was actually angry that I watched it. I gave QT the benefit of the doubt and I'll never get those 3 hours back. His worst film by far.

The Family Guy episode felt the same way. It's like they hated the fact that they weren't the only game in town and they resented having to share the comedy scene with something so "beneath" their almighty greatness. Never mind that all of the criticisms they leveled at Family Guy were so painfully desperate and hollow. They kept repeating the charge that none of their jokes ever have anything to do with an actual, coherent narrative, yet they've ironically done some of the same jokes as Family Guy, and they did them after, and they weren't as funny.

The best example:

Family Guy - Season 1, Episode 2 - 1999 (Very early, way before the South Park episode, so nobody can say they only started doing things differently after and in response)

South Park - Season 10, Episode 3 - 2006 (Ironically, this is the Family Guy episode)

And there are a billion other examples of Family Guy jokes/references springing organically from the plot. Some of my favorites: Stewie referencing In the Air Tonight in the Poltergeist spoof episode because he's been sucked into the TV and the static sounds like In the Air Tonight; Cleveland and Quagmire squashing their beef in the episode where Quagmire has sex with Clevelenad's wife by recreating the ending of Rocky III; Peter quoting from the intro to The Incredible Hulk in his eulogy for Mr. Weed; and, in the most recent season, a Seagal reference stemming from the fact that Peter is being bullied by his sister and is trying to find a way to stand up to her.

In conclusion: South Park is painfully, even pathetically jealous, and their immaturity in their show (not to mention in interviews, where it's even worse) just makes Seth MacFarlane and Family Guy look that much better.

Ok, you win the megapost award.

Their criticism of Phil Collins was fair. Phil Collins made disparaging comments about the attire they wore to the Academy Awards. He doesn't get it.
stone-parker-acid.JPG

They're not bitter about losing to Phil. They think the academy is a joke, hence their attire, they knew they weren't going to win.

Phil's song is pretty generic and crappy imo, "Blame Canada" is brilliant, hilarious, and as far as song structure goes there's way more to it. Phil won because he has a better voice... and because South Parks song was too controversial.

The song's about a romance between a cartoon version of a man who raised by lions in the jungle... yeah I'm sure he's a real romancer... it's tripe...

Trey Parker and Matt Stone understand that society, culture, nationalism, politics, religion, the media are basically jokes. Their writing is (for the most part) social commentary. Family Guy is just random humour (for the most part) There's almost never a message, not one with value and meaning anyways.

I think you just don't get South Park, possibly because you're one of them. Phil Collins is one of them.
1508455-980x.jpg

You said they (South Park) can't stand having competition (Family Guy) and that's why they hate them... but Bart Simpson was on the show and they just made a few jokes about him not really being a bad-ass. They don't hate Matt Groening, or Seth MacFarlane either for that matter, they were challenging him.

What's the difference between American Dad and Family Guy? Politics, that's why American Dad was never that big... and that's why Family Guy was. Family Guy only alienates the type of people that would never watch the show, Seth just made American Dad to ease his conscience. so he could feel like he was making his voice heard, while still keeping Family Guy mainstream. Seth's this huge star with influence, and he didn't try and teach the mindless masses anything special. He just cashed in on mindless comedy, that is hilarious, I can admit it... but so was Jackass, but it's still trash TV.

I don't know if anyone really got the family guy episode. Kyle and Stan are based off of Trey Parker and Matt Stone, Cartman is basically your brainwashed patriotic American Fox-News-fan type, and Kenny is just there for comic relief. Cartman was the one talking shit about Family Guy, Stan and Kyle both thought the show was funny.

Those two South Park episodes were a bit different, Cartman was the one criticizing Family Guy. Cartman didn't represent the ignorant masses in those episodes, obviously they weren't making a political statement, it was an analogy. It was a challenge to the Allah of TV, Seth MacFarlane. Remember, at the time Seth was making shitloads of money, with 3 major network shows on Fox at once, he held incredible power, which he didn't make great use of.

Parker and Stone were mad that the censors wouldn't allow them to show Allah, so they made an episode about Family Guy, with Bart Simpson in it as a way to get Matt Groening and Seth MacFarlane's attention, and to challenge them to stand up to the censors. Seth and Groening are the two cartoon writers (that also push the envelope) the two that have more power than Matt & Trey. The jab about the writing was to keep Seth honest and to hopefully start a sort of dissing war between the shows, like how Family Guy and Robot Chicken do it. Parker and Stone wanted Seth (or Groening) to fight for the right to use Allah in cartoons, the censors stopped them, if anyone could get away with it, it was Seth.

The writing in South Park is much more complex than you give it credit for.

They don't poke fun at Cruise or any actor for stupid personal reasons, but they burn traitors at the stake... traitors to mankind. Those who sell their ethics for fame and fortune. Trey and Matt do things on their own terms, and they deserve to feel better about themselves for it. Phil did a Disney Tarzan movie for crying out loud, it was a cash grab.

Meanwhile Bigger, Longer, Uncut was a hilarious masterpiece and utter thrashing of the censors ridiculous opinion of "foul language". Not to mention it was a musical, that the majority of teenage males loved, that in itself is one hell of an accomplishment. (Most Family Guy fans hate their musical numbers, and most guys think Glee is crap as well)

There's a famous saying "you never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator" and Seth understands this all too well. That's why he keeps politics out of family guy, unless they're popular social opinions at the time. South Park try to be as offensive as possible, towards everyone, they want everyone to take a look in the mirror. Family Guy they just want you to shut your brain off and laugh...

That's why I used the analogy of man getting hit in the groin by football, sure it's funny but it has no soul. Barney's movie had soul. For me, it's not a matter of preferring one flavour like your Coke/Pepsi analogy.

Also I agree with Europe1 that The Simpsons in it's prime years was the best show ever.

There was something off about The Infiltrator. It might have been me not being able to believe that Mazur was able to become best friends with Alcaino so soon and go to Paris with him. Then suddenly theyre inviting everyone to the wedding.

Damn, huge Robbie fan. I was worried about that first round though... I wasn't even shocked when it happened. Teh lame. Hope he makes a comeback from this. I think he can.

Damn, huge Robbie fan. I was worried about that first round though... I wasn't even shocked when it happened. Teh lame. Hope he makes a comeback from this. I think he can.

Yeah I wasn't shocked at all. Thought Robbie would win, but how could we be shocked at this point. Alvarez putting down RDA. Nunes smashing Miesha. None of these champs are safe.

DJ and my girl Joanna are the only two I'd be confident in retaining in their next two-three title fights. Even someone as good as DC who doesn't have to worry about the threat of Jones for a good long while seems vulnerable to me.

Cruz is great, but I feel Dillashaw gave him a very tough fight and I think the biggest question mark with him is his ability to stay healthy long term (really hoping that he does. Enjoy watching his fights).

Lawler will be back. But to be honest, with the wars he's been in recently, it's amazing his chin held up as well as it did up to that point.

What has amazed me more than anything else is that spamming the good old overhand is still enough to make you a champion even in this day. Woodly is really delimited in terms of his technical arsenal but all he needs is to land one of those T-bombs and the night is his. An proficient outside fighter like Rory can utterly shut his game down and beat him without taking a scratch while a guy like Robbie get's absolutely flatlined in the first round.

Kind of what makes MMA fun, honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back