Sept.4th FOX PPV Luis Ortiz vs Andy Ruiz PBC

Who wins?

• Total voters
i honestly don't believe he ducked AJ.

but he did refuse like 8M guaranteed, when his previous highest purse was 500k. he either knew he didn't have enough time to dope, or he knew he didn't have enough time to flush it out and pass the testing. i can't see luis ortiz being afraid of fighting (and losing to) AJ. but the "lowball" excuse was such transparent bullshit, i can't think of any other reason than issues with PEDs.
Ya when all of that came out it seemed very apparent he either was totally fucked by his handlers (which may have happened as he seemed openly pissed off), or they werent ready for testing (which may have happened given his history). That was a really strange situation.

Ya when all of that came out it seemed very apparent he either was totally fucked by his handlers (which may have happened as he seemed openly pissed off), or they werent ready for testing (which may have happened given his history). That was a really strange situation.
i don't know if i buy the idea that the manager fucked this up. how much do managers get, 10%? his handlers were looking at more money going their end than ortiz ever made in a fight, ever.

besides, it's not like ortiz is just a pawn for his handlers to move. you hear your manager reject a contract you actually want to sign, you fire the manager on the spot and sign the fucking contract. ultimately, the decision is his and his alone.

the dude is a monster, he had no problem fighting the biggest puncher in the division twice, he isn't afraid of anyone. he left enough money on the table to last him and his family several generations. fear wasn't a factor, the amount made obviously wasn't either, so what's left? he didn't say he doesn't have enough time to prepare. he specifically talked about being lowballed. i can't think of anything other than his "heart medication" that could keep him out of this one.

i honestly don't believe he ducked AJ.

but he did refuse like 8M guaranteed, when his previous highest purse was 500k. he either knew he didn't have enough time to dope, or he knew he didn't have enough time to flush it out and pass the testing. i can't see luis ortiz being afraid of fighting (and losing to) AJ. but the "lowball" excuse was such transparent bullshit, i can't think of any other reason than issues with PEDs.

It’s possible, definitely not any better than flat out ducking, but possible.

i don't know if i buy the idea that the manager fucked this up. how much do managers get, 10%? his handlers were looking at more money going their end than ortiz ever made in a fight, ever.

besides, it's not like ortiz is just a pawn for his handlers to move. you hear your manager reject a contract you actually want to sign, you fire the manager on the spot and sign the fucking contract. ultimately, the decision is his and his alone.

the dude is a monster, he had no problem fighting the biggest puncher in the division twice, he isn't afraid of anyone. he left enough money on the table to last him and his family several generations. fear wasn't a factor, the amount made obviously wasn't either, so what's left? he didn't say he doesn't have enough time to prepare. he specifically talked about being lowballed. i can't think of anything other than his "heart medication" that could keep him out of this one.
Well serves them right. Fucked themselves right out of some major paydays hes not likely to ever duplicate at this point.

Ortiz/Ruiz would be a banger. Really hope this happens

Do you reckon we see Luis Ortiz in with a top fighter again during the remainder of his career?
Tough guy to get a long list of fighters who want to mix it up with him. He is the epitome of high risk low reward. His resume is not great but anyone who has ever watched him can see the talent and ability. PEDs and mismanagement really put a beating on his career trajectory imho.

(even though you didnt ask me lol)

Do you reckon we see Luis Ortiz in with a top fighter again during the remainder of his career?

No!

he’s shown no interest in fighting any of the top fighters other than wilder for a belt. Him and his team have already tried to spin Joshua low balling him, and Whyte and Ruiz ducking him. It seems laughable that we would take him and his teams words for it, when those guys haven’t ducked anyone in their careers. And they got caught out with their lies about Joshua and looked foolish and like they had ducked the fight. He also got caught juicing twice, so a liar and a 2x cheat, but we believe him when he claims everyone is avoiding him?

When fans rightly bring up his resume, people use the eye test as proof that he’s right up there with the best of the division? We use this for prospects yet to step up, but with Ortiz he’s been a pro 10 years and is mid 40s. That says everything we need to know about his opposition. I’m not gullible enough to believe that the likes of Whyte, Ruiz etc are scared to fight him. It’s laughable, he’s never been avoided, this is he narrative that has been used so he can fight b and c level HWs and stay relevant

I hope he proves me wrong, I’d love to see how good he really is, because at the moment he a guy that outboxed then got ko’d by wilder. The same as most of wilders other opponents. but I’ve said all through this thread that this fight won’t happen.

Tough guy to get a long list of fighters who want to mix it up with him. He is the epitome of high risk low reward. His resume is not great but anyone who has ever watched him can see the talent and ability. PEDs and mismanagement really put a beating on his career trajectory imho.

(even though you didnt ask me lol)

I disagree, I don’t think he’s high risk, low reward. He may be high risk high reward, like any of the top fighters. He’s been ranked in the top 10 for years. Beat him and your close to a title shot. He’s also years Past his prime as it appears he’s actually 44-45 years old. Yoel Romero has confirmed this as they wear on the same Cuban Olympics team

Imo he’s everything that is wrong about the sport. He may be that good, but we just don’t know based on the route that him and his team have taken his career in; Avoiding the best fighters and waiting for your shot. He’s not the only one that does it, but he does seem to be the most vocal fighter trying to spin that he is ducked, when he clearly isn’t.

I disagree, I don’t think he’s high risk, low reward. He may be high risk high reward, like any of the top fighters. He’s been ranked in the top 10 for years. Beat him and your close to a title shot. He’s also years Past his prime as it appears he’s actually 44-45 years old. Yoel Romero has confirmed this as they wear on the same Cuban Olympics team

Imo he’s everything that is wrong about the sport. He may be that good, but we just don’t know based on the route that him and his team have taken his career in; Avoiding the best fighters and waiting for your shot. He’s not the only one that does it, but he does seem to be the most vocal fighter trying to spin that he is ducked, when he clearly isn’t.
The only situation Ive found him/his handlers to be laughably wrong in is the AJ offer. If I had to guess, Id say he was either cycling or it was one of the worst mismanagements of all time.

Whyte may have his reasons, and some valid ones, but he didnt exactly show any interest in that fight. Ruiz is just now being discussed so theres nothing to accuse anyone of ducking. Ortiz deserves a lot of the blame himself between the PED use and taking so much time between fights.

And honestly none of this is out of the norm for most of the division. Its like pulling teeth getting the top guys to fight top guys consistently. AJ is the only one thus far to regularly fight other top
HWs. They all overvalue and overprice themselves and its ridiculous.

Edit: And lastly by low reward I mean unless you are AJ, you arent getting a big pay day by fighting Ortiz. So a dangerous fight for a small pay day is a hard pill to swallow.

The only situation Ive found him/his handlers to be laughably wrong in is the AJ offer. If I had to guess, Id say he was either cycling or it was one of the worst mismanagements of all time.

Whyte may have his reasons, and some valid ones, but he didnt exactly show any interest in that fight. Ruiz is just now being discussed so theres nothing to accuse anyone of ducking. Ortiz deserves a lot of the blame himself between the PED use and taking so much time between fights.

And honestly none of this is out of the norm for most of the division. Its like pulling teeth getting the top guys to fight top guys consistently. AJ is the only one thus far to regularly fight other top
HWs. They all overvalue and overprice themselves and its ridiculous.

Edit: And lastly by low reward I mean unless you are AJ, you arent getting a big pay day by fighting Ortiz. So a dangerous fight for a small pay day is a hard pill to swallow.

My point with Ortiz is he’s unproven. I don’t know how good he is because for whatever reason he hasn’t beaten any top fighters. We dont judge top fighters on their losses after all

I don’t buy that’s he’s avoided. He’s old, he’s never beaten anyone of note, he isn’t one of the hardest hitters, and doesn’t have a great gas tank. He’s a skillful southpaw with a long (but unremarkable) ami career, but that’s no reason for any of the top fighters to fear him.

I’d love to see this fight. If he is as good as some think it could be a fckin great fight. They certainly match up style wise. I’d be happy to be proven wrong, but expect I’ll be disappointed when his next opponent is announced.

Last edited:
My point with Ortiz is he’s unproven. I don’t know how good he is because for whatever reason he hasn’t beaten any top fighters. We dont judge top fighters on their losses after all

I don’t buy that’s he’s avoided. He’s old, he’s never beaten anyone of note, he isn’t one of the hardest hitters, and doesn’t have a great gas tank. He’s a skillful southpaw with a long (but unremarkable) ami career, but that’s no reason for any of the top fighters to fear him.

I’d love to see this fight. If he is as good as some think it could be a fckin great fight. They certainly match up style wise. I’d be happy to be proven wrong, but expect I’ll be disappointed when his next opponent is announced.
I dont think anyone is scared of him. I think fear is a rare occurrence in fighters. That doesnt mean hes someone they want to fight though. What do they gain from it? He really doesnt bring much of anything to the table in terms of clout and more importantly $$$$.

And again I think hes largely responsible for his career trajectory. Certainly not blaming other fighters entirely for his lack of resume notches.

Ruiz would beat him IMO.
Ortiz looks slow to me with both his feet and his punches...he got to be 50years old too. I’d rather see Ruiz fight Whyte or rematch Parker. Ortiz can fight Arreola.

Back