• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Law Senate GOP blocks bill to guarantee access to contraception.

KOPPE

Yellow Card
Yellow Card
Reaction score

Senate Republicans voted Wednesday to block a bill put forward by Democrats that would guarantee access to contraception nationwide,
as Democrats seek to highlight the issue in the run up to November’s elections.

The bill – the Right to Contraception Act – would enshrine into federal law a right for individuals to buy and use contraceptives,
as well as for health care providers to provide them. It would apply to birth control pills, the plan B pill, condoms and other forms of contraception.

GOP Sens. Lisa Murkowski and Susan Collins crossed over to vote with Democrats in favor of advancing the bill. Schumer switched his vote to a no at the last minute in a procedural move that will allow Democrats to bring the bill back up in the future if they want.

What do Republicans have against unprotected sex? I thought they were all supposedly straight and you'd think they'd need birth control more.

Free access to contraception is proven to reduce unwanted pregnancies, and therefore abortions.
This is therefore proof the GOP doesn't care about stopping abortion, and only wants to control women and punish them for having sex.

That's the same thing your team said about Roe v. Wade.
and look where we are now.

heres The 38 GOP senators who voted to block the Right to Contraception Act:

• John Barrasso of Wyoming
  • Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee
  • John Boozman of Arkansas
  • Ted Budd of Indiana
  • Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia
  • Bill Cassidy of Louisiana
  • John Cornyn of Texas
  • Tom Cotton of Arkansas
  • Kevin Cramer of North Dakota
  • Mike Crapo of Idaho
  • Ted Cruz of Texas
  • Steve Daines of Montana
  • Joni Ernst of Iowa
  • Deb Fischer of Nebraska
  • Chuck Grassley of Iowa
  • Josh Hawley of Missouri
  • John Hoeven of North Dakota
  • Cindy Hyde-Smith of Mississippi
  • Ron Johnson of Wisconsin
  • James Lankford of Oklahoma
  • Mike Lee of Utah
  • Cynthia Lummis of Wyoming
  • Roger Marshall of Kansas
  • Mitch McConnell of Kentucky
  • Markwayne Mullin of Oklahoma
  • Rand Paul of Kentucky
  • Pete Ricketts of Nebraska
  • Jim Risch of Idaho
  • Mike Rounds of South Dakota
  • Marco Rubio of Florida
  • Eric Schmitt of Missouri
  • Rick Scott of Florida
  • Tim Scott of South Carolina
  • John Thune of South Dakota
  • Thoms Tillis of North Carolina
  • Tommy Tuberville of Alabama
  • Roger Wicker of Mississippi
  • Todd Young of Indiana
but its a show vote because Bill and Ted said so..

Democrats Block Ernst’s Effort to Promote Safe, Effective Birth Control​

“This was never about finding real solutions. This was always about fearmongering and election year stunts.”

WASHINGTON – In the face of Democrats’ fearmongering that Republicans will “take away” access to contraception, U.S. Senator Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) today on the Senate floor called on her colleagues to pass her legislation that promotes access to safe and effective contraception for women while bringing much-needed transparency and accountability to ensure the government uses tax dollars to support families.
After Democrats obstructed her effort, Ernst pushed back against their political stunts and promised to continue supporting policies, like her bill, that equip women to raise children to live the American Dream.
Ernst’s work has been gaining momentum, and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) spoke in support of her effort.

Ernst’s full remarks:

“Madam President— The so-called Right to Contraception Act goes far beyond the scope of providing access to contraception.

“It’s important the American people understand what the Democrats are peddling.

“Senator Markey’s bill creates a precedent to mandate access to abortion drugs for women and girls of all ages.

“It also allows taxpayer dollars to be funneled to organizations like Planned Parenthood.

“The bill removes conscious freedom protections which allow our doctors and nurses to maintain their religious and moral beliefs while practicing medicine—a right that we are all afforded in the workplace, which should be upheld!

“I would like to remind my Democrat colleagues of the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, or RFRA, is what we call it here. It is a law that was championed by Senator Chuck Schumer more than 30 years ago.

“The Majority Leader has really come a long way, hasn’t he…just like President Biden, who used to be pro-life!

“Religious professionals and organizations across the country rely on RFRA for protection from broad government overreach.

“Yet the Democrats are willing to upend that precedent for politics, and more importantly, for abortion.

“Let’s be clear what’s going on here – from the Senate to the White House, Democrats do not have anything to run on…no agenda that resonates with the American people…so instead, they are fearmongering in the name of politics.

“Fortunately, Republicans have a solution— the Allowing Greater Access to Safe and Effective Contraception Act.

“Like 90% of Americans, I believe routine use contraception should be safe and accessible.

“That’s why I’ve long worked to increase access to safe and effective over-the-counter oral contraceptives.

“With my bill, we’re ensuring women 18 and over can walk into any pharmacy, whether in Red Oak, Iowa or Washington D.C., and purchase a safe and effective birth control option.

“This Republican bill creates a priority review designation for over-the-counter birth control options, to encourage the FDA to act quickly.

“I am encouraged that as of this year, the first, but the only, over-the-counter option on the market has been approved.

“But having just one over-the-counter product on the market is just a starting point. We need more options that are truly effective for women…women in rural areas…women facing domestic violence.

“In addition, my bill brings much-needed transparency and accountability in federal spending to better understand where gaps are occurring, and also to ensure dollars are actually going to supporting women and families.

“GAO will take a 15-year look-back at total dollar amounts for contraception reimbursement, inventory stocking, provider training, and patient education efforts, to help better inform us as lawmakers and you as taxpayers on where and how our money is being spent.”

Ernst’s rebuttal:

“Madam President, I am disheartened to see my colleague from Minnesota rise in opposition. I respect her greatly as well, and we do disagree on this issue, but unfortunately given the nature of this political exercise, I am not surprised.

“This was never about finding real solutions – this was always about fearmongering and election year stunts.

“My effort, one that many of my Republican colleagues support, is a commonsense solution to give women more access to over-the-counter birth control options and bring accountability to government spending. Not about finding loopholes so we can find a way to fund those drugs that cause abortions.

“Despite attacks from the same far left that promotes drugs that endanger women and encourages the death of the unborn, I will always stand up for families.

“And as a mother and a grandmother – alongside my fellow Republican senators – I will continue to protect life while supporting policies that equip women to raise children to live the American Dream.”

That's the same thing your team said about Roe v. Wade.
and look where we are now.

heres The 38 GOP senators who voted to block the Right to Contraception Act:

• John Barrasso of Wyoming
  • Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee
  • John Boozman of Arkansas
  • Ted Budd of Indiana
  • Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia
  • Bill Cassidy of Louisiana
  • John Cornyn of Texas
  • Tom Cotton of Arkansas
  • Kevin Cramer of North Dakota
  • Mike Crapo of Idaho
  • Ted Cruz of Texas
  • Steve Daines of Montana
  • Joni Ernst of Iowa
  • Deb Fischer of Nebraska
  • Chuck Grassley of Iowa
  • Josh Hawley of Missouri
  • John Hoeven of North Dakota
  • Cindy Hyde-Smith of Mississippi
  • Ron Johnson of Wisconsin
  • James Lankford of Oklahoma
  • Mike Lee of Utah
  • Cynthia Lummis of Wyoming
  • Roger Marshall of Kansas
  • Mitch McConnell of Kentucky
  • Markwayne Mullin of Oklahoma
  • Rand Paul of Kentucky
  • Pete Ricketts of Nebraska
  • Jim Risch of Idaho
  • Mike Rounds of South Dakota
  • Marco Rubio of Florida
  • Eric Schmitt of Missouri
  • Rick Scott of Florida
  • Tim Scott of South Carolina
  • John Thune of South Dakota
  • Thoms Tillis of North Carolina
  • Tommy Tuberville of Alabama
  • Roger Wicker of Mississippi
  • Todd Young of Indiana
but its a show vote because Bill and Ted said so..

everyone wants easy access to education and contraception, but this is more election year games, the bill has an overly broad definition that will undoubtedly smuggle in some type of chemical abortion pills and it's a sneaky way of setting up way to funds planned parenthood, the abortion center of the universe and ground zero for democrat insanity.

Free access to contraception is proven to reduce unwanted pregnancies, and therefore abortions.
This is therefore proof the GOP doesn't care about stopping abortion, and only wants to control women and punish them for having sex.

But its punishing all hetero people.

My theory is the pro life people are overwhelmingly closeted gay people who have no use for contraceptives.

everyone wants easy access to education and contraception, but this is more election year games, the bill has an overly broad definition that will undoubtedly smuggle in some type of chemical abortion pills and it's a sneaky way of setting up way to funds planned parenthood, the abortion center of the universe and ground zero for democrat insanity.

Not everyone. I just gave you a list of GOPers who voted to block the Right to Contraception Act.
Your team cant have it both ways: they claim they aren't trying to restrict birth control access nationwide on the one hand. On the other hand, they ignore or vote against bills like this, which would protect birth control access nationwide.
They are trying to appear moderate while also catering to the most radical elements of their party.

Publicly attacking birth control and abortion isn’t the winning ticket they thought it was now that Roe’s been overturned and it dealt massive damage to their results in midterms. Now they’re trying to play centrist on the issue whilst still handicapping actual protections for them.

Not everyone. I just gave you a list of GOPers who voted to block the Right to Contraception Act.
Your team cant have it both ways: they claim they aren't trying to restrict birth control access nationwide on the one hand. On the other hand, they ignore or vote against bills like this, which would protect birth control access nationwide.
They are trying to appear moderate while also catering to the most radical elements of their party.

Publicly attacking birth control and abortion isn’t the winning ticket they thought it was now that Roe’s been overturned and it dealt massive damage to their results in midterms. Now they’re trying to play centrist on the issue whilst still handicapping actual protections for them.

you can call it the Right to Clean Water Act, but as long as it contains unsavory items or it's general enough to open the door for crazy stuff later, you vote against it.

this bill is overly general and is setting up ways to fund organizations like planned parenthood. we know how the left works.

Back