Seminar Review: Rener Gracie - Bellevue, WA

Bjj Paperweight

White Belt
Reaction score
I had the chance to train with Rener last weekend. I learned a ton of cool details as well as some new techniques. Check out my thoughts on the two day seminar here!!

If you ever get a chance to train with him, do it!!! You won't be disappointed.

1379676_10151871128879076_37610759_n.jpg

1378475_10151872301149076_954687750_n.jpg

www.GracieAcademy.com/Seminars

Goddamn @ the size of that crowd. How many attendees were there? How much personal attention could Rener give? From the review, thread starter was completely satisfied with the instruction, which is quite a testament to Rener's ability to reach multiple people.

Goddamn @ the size of that crowd. How many attendees were there? How much personal attention could Rener give? From the review, thread starter was completely satisfied with the instruction, which is quite a testament to Rener's ability to reach multiple people.

He gave really good instruction on how to and repeated it until we had no questions. He would walk around and make sure we were doing it right. And if we weren't he fix it and if he saw multiple people do it he'd show us again. There was about 100 of us there. He was able to hit each one of us during each part of the seminar multiple times. Which is awesome, I know I couldn't do it. Haha

That's amazing. Teaching is a skill, and by all accounts, Rener is great at it.

Personally, I think that's what BJJ black belts should really be about: Not just being a mat monster, not just having a lot of knowledge, but the ability to impart jiu jitsu to others.

Rener's seminars are awesome, I attended his triple threat seminar last year in Bellevue and all the material presented is still in my head and I use it regularly.

Out of curiosity, what is the Rat trap? Is it securing the near arm under your legs in side control?

Great writeup!

He knows Jiu Jitsu, he's fun to listen too but the best analogy I've heard with Rener (believe it was from Killary)

"Whenever I listen to him talk, I can't help but feel he's trying to sell me a used Ford Focus."

Little bit of Gracie propaganda dropped in to his seminars, but I did get some good info out of it so I'll tolerate the "selling".

That's amazing. Teaching is a skill, and by all accounts, Rener is great at it.

Personally, I think that's what BJJ black belts should really be about: Not just being a mat monster, not just having a lot of knowledge, but the ability to impart jiu jitsu to others.

I agree 100%. He is a great teacher. I spent a total of about 9-10 hours with him, and the guy can teach so well and you remember things because of the way he teaches. Plus if you take notes, he'll read and correct it for you. I don't know any other teacher that offers that at a seminar. Not saying they wouldn't if you asked, but he offers it.

Rener's seminars are awesome, I attended his triple threat seminar last year in Bellevue and all the material presented is still in my head and I use it regularly.

Out of curiosity, what is the Rat trap? Is it securing the near arm under your legs in side control?

Great writeup!

The Rat Trap is a side control variant used a lot by the Gracie teams. I found a decent instructional for you.

http://youtu.be/sVlpYGhK1Pk

Really easy set ups!:)

He knows Jiu Jitsu, he's fun to listen too but the best analogy I've heard with Rener (believe it was from Killary)

"Whenever I listen to him talk, I can't help but feel he's trying to sell me a used Ford Focus."

Little bit of Gracie propaganda dropped in to his seminars, but I did get some good info out of it so I'll tolerate the "selling".

I honestly didn't mind, and I didn't feel as if there was too much selling or propaganda at this seminar. It was super chill. He had some Gracie shirts but about 1/3 of the crowd was Gracie affiliates.

Ill take good info with listening to propaganda any day. :) haha doesn't mean I have to agree (;

washington-seminar.jpg

1260855_10151680696521918_904324886_n.jpg

558648_10151680697716918_175420882_n.jpg

"Advantages of crossing

I wasn't there (don't really like seminars anymore) but I see a few people that I know and train with in the photos. Now I kinda regret not going.

Back