Self-regulater = better?

Shaddows

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
I know MMA being self-regulated would open a huge Pandora box.
They need an independent body to regulate them.

However, every time UFC has an event outside US, they are self-regulated.

That means they can call any judges they want.
That also means they can do things that make more sense.
Take the example of Chad Mendes vs. Yaotzin Meza. That fight would be stopped because the ref didn't see the groin shot. Once he acknowledged the mistake, he allowed the fight to continue.
I bet if you are Chad Mendes, you'd prefer to win with the huge KO than with a groin shot!

So what do you think? Self-regulated is better (as long as Zuffa does a good job of calling good judges, refs, etc) or you'd rather have NSAC ruling MMA?

I know MMA being self-regulated would open a huge Pandora box.
They need an independent body to regulate them.

However, every time UFC has an event outside US, they are self-regulated.

That means they can call any judges they want.
That also means they can do things that make more sense.
Take the example of Chad Mendes vs. Yaotzin Meza. That fight would be stopped because the ref didn't see the groin shot. Once he acknowledged the mistake, he allowed the fight to continue.
I bet if you are Chad Mendes, you'd prefer to win with the huge KO than with a groin shot!

So what do you think? Self-regulated is better (as long as Zuffa does a good job of calling good judges, refs, etc) or you'd rather have NSAC ruling MMA?

You answered your own question in the second line. There's no way anyone can be trusted with full time self regulation; there'd be too much money to be made unscrupulously.

Wasnt that in the Alloway-Rodriguez fight?

They do do a good job on the events they hold that have no regulation bodys,but to switch it up completely imo,would be a bad idea.

The commisions are already established and what not,and even though there is discontent held towards more than a few oif them and their members it'd be a long road to overturn it and have it so as the UFC was to do it themselves,if that'd even be possible.(re:breaking away from state governed commissions to self regualtors)

Now if it could be done,and was in a hypothetical situation it could then bring into arguement alot of things. From fight/er favoritisms to certain camps leaning one way or the other to "not wanting" certain judges and or refs. Debates would also be brought up regarding fighters being fast-tracked,as they already are and more.

Most of these things are best addressed to an independent commision imo,just wish it had nothing to do with the boxing judges myself.

But in hindsight to how well theyve done so far,im more than ok with it as an MMA fan. They've got it under control when they need to take the reins.

Wasnt that in the Alloway-Rodriguez fight?

They do do a good job on the events they hold that have no regulation bodys,but to switch it up completely imo,would be a bad idea.

The commisions are already established and what not,and even though there is discontent held towards more than a few oif them and their members it'd be a long road to overturn it and have it so as the UFC was to do it themselves,if that'd even be possible.(re:breaking away from state governed commissions to self regualtors)

Now if it could be done,and was in a hypothetical situation it could then bring into arguement alot of things. From fight/er favoritisms to certain camps leaning one way or the other to "not wanting" certain judges and or refs. Debates would also be brought up regarding fighters being fast-tracked,as they already are and more.

Most of these things are best addressed to an independent commision imo,just wish it had nothing to do with the boxing judges myself.

But in hindsight to how well theyve done so far,im more than ok with it as an MMA fan. They've got it under control when they need to take the reins.

I could be wrong, but I believe a lot of the motivation for them to do well when they regulate themselves originates from them ultimately answering to the athletic commissions that do regulate them in the US in some capacity in the near future. If the UFC were to fully regulate themselves that motivation would be effectively gone. Again, sorry if I'm mistaken.

You answered your own question in the second line. There's no way anyone can be trusted with full time self regulation; there'd be too much money to be made unscrupulously.

Perfectly said. The solution lies in reforming the regulating body to get better refs/judge. PRIDE was self regulated and look at what happened there.

Perfectly said. The solution lies in reforming the regulating body to get better refs/judge. PRIDE was self regulated and look at what happened there.

I am not disagreeing.
But pride was rules by the Yakuza that used Pride to make money on bets/gambling off the fights... very different situation IMO.

And yes, I do agree it helps with the 'legitimacy" other sport to have a government body regulating it. But how many bad choices they made that are terrible for the sport?

How many bad judging do we have to get until some judge is let go? No. Let me answer that: even with the most atrocious judging guys like Cecil peoples continues to judge MMA fights!
The scoring system is broke!
Those tests are ridiculous! More people are caught by smoking weed and when someone is caught with TRT, they simply give them exemption (i.e. Sonnen).

Most sports have their own independent reffing organization. Why does UFC need to be under the scope of NSAC?

Again, I am just throwing all the above to light up the discussion. Not everything I would agree upon :)

Back