Self Defense Without Sparring?

For self defense, take 6 months of boxing, 6 months of any grappling art, then spend the rest of the time on weapons training. Life isn't a Jackie Chan movie, people don't attack you one at a time and unarmed.

How the fuck can you get good at anything without actually doing it?

I mean everyone has a "fighting chance" but what are you willing to risk on an assumption?
Your money?
Your safety?
Your family?

GTFO with this.

Is that why you train? To protect your family?

Whats wrong with that if he does?

Pistol_Browning_SFS.jpg

This would would be alot more practical for that type of situation rather than fists and feet

GTFO with this.

Is that why you train? To protect your family?

Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique > Self Defense Without Sparring

To answer your question, yes, that is part of why I learned to fight. I have no brothers and no father, who the fuck is gonna do the job?

Same concept as to why I took up automotive technology job training. A job is one thing, but the ability to fix my and other people's cars was a huge reason why I picked that.

sparring is a must. that's the only way to learn.

not true at all, you definitely can improve your fighting significantly without sparring. the method used in old boy, would def work for boxing in the street.

I'd like to lock people like you in a room for 20years

So I asked the guy of this school his thoughts on sparring and this was his reply.

"We dont do "sparring" per say as a fully resisting partner and the other person going full out as well leads to injuries. *What we do is meant *to break, blind or KO someone - not something anyone wants to do for real. *Knees to the face and groin, arm snapping techniques, smashing heads into floors and walls, stomping limbs that are on the ground are not things that you want to do for real, even advanced people will not have the control to keep people safe if this was all out. *What we teach is not for sport - sparring is for sport. *We run drills and pressure test techniques. *There isnt anyone in colorado who offers what I do in terms of combatives, jujitsu and kali - not for sport.

When you understand fight dynamics and awareness you will either avoid the conflict or preempt the fight and it's over. *It is actually very simple, and this is explained in classes. *The movie fights where 1 person gets hit, then hits the guy back is neither effective nor reality. *The way we train is I hit you I hit you I hit you you dont get up - done. *If you feel the need to resist in the jujitsu or kali stuff, once you are experienced enough to do so - be my guest, just *realize *the more you resist the more likely it is that you will be injured. *If someone has the chance to resist the technique was probably not done correctly or it was slowed down to avoid injury."

Stay out of this gym.

If you want to learn how to fight, you have to spar hard. It is that simple. Join a good boxing gym or a Muay Thai place or maybe a wrestling class. All of those at once actually if you have that choice. In fact, even ice hockey or American football would be better for self defense than that dojo guy's philosophy.

Once you have a few hundred hours of heavy sparring under your belt plus ideally a match or two, you may want to think about learning self defense tactics and stuff as a complement. Then, I would guess that maybe some classes at that gym (or some Krav Maga place for a good alternative) could make sense.

But I would advice you first to build solid fundamentals. For example, before you learn something like "If someone takes a double hand strangle hold on you from the front, push him away with a double palm butterfly punch." Why don't you learn first of all how to actually pack some power into a punch against a competent target?

I would like to throw in... that improving your athleticism overall would improve your ability to fight, and practicing techniques and basics like how to land a strike without hurting yourself would put you ahead of someone who does NOT possess those basics, but to really attain a "competitive" level you need to spar. Chances are that sucker puncher you've got to deal with has sucker punched a few people before you.

So I asked the guy of this school his thoughts on sparring and this was his reply.

"We dont do "sparring" per say as a fully resisting partner and the other person going full out as well leads to injuries. *What we do is meant *to break, blind or KO someone - not something anyone wants to do for real. *Knees to the face and groin, arm snapping techniques, smashing heads into floors and walls, stomping limbs that are on the ground are not things that you want to do for real, even advanced people will not have the control to keep people safe if this was all out. *What we teach is not for sport - sparring is for sport. *We run drills and pressure test techniques. *There isnt anyone in colorado who offers what I do in terms of combatives, jujitsu and kali - not for sport.

When you understand fight dynamics and awareness you will either avoid the conflict or preempt the fight and it's over. *It is actually very simple, and this is explained in classes. *The movie fights where 1 person gets hit, then hits the guy back is neither effective nor reality. *The way we train is I hit you I hit you I hit you you dont get up - done. *If you feel the need to resist in the jujitsu or kali stuff, once you are experienced enough to do so - be my guest, just *realize *the more you resist the more likely it is that you will be injured. *If someone has the chance to resist the technique was probably not done correctly or it was slowed down to avoid injury."

I've had training partners trying to Knock me on my ass, break my limbs and choke me out, and I've never been injured in training. I've been hurt almost on a weekly badis, but never injured.

+1 for stop giving this guy your money.

Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique > Self Defense Without Sparring

To answer your question, yes, that is part of why I learned to fight. I have no brothers and no father, who the fuck is gonna do the job?

Same concept as to why I took up automotive technology job training. A job is one thing, but the ability to fix my and other people's cars was a huge reason why I picked that.

OK whatever you are comfortable with. Only you know how effective your street moves are.
Me personally, I prefer a firearm.

OK whatever you are comfortable with. Only you know how effective your street moves are.
Me personally, I prefer a firearm.

We're up north. Carry permits are usually unobtainable except for employment. We also have no laws protecting us from defending ourselves with firearms. Pretty much if you let a round off, you can expect to sit in jail until the court decides that it was self defense. Kind of fucked up for anyone looking to protect themselves.

We're up north. Carry permits are usually unobtainable except for employment. We also have no laws protecting us from defending ourselves with firearms. Pretty much if you let a round off, you can expect to sit in jail until the court decides that it was self defense. Kind of fucked up for anyone looking to protect themselves.

That sucks. New York is a damn police state.

When you understand fight dynamics and awareness you will either avoid the conflict or preempt the fight and it's over. *It is actually very simple, and this is explained in classes. *The movie fights where 1 person gets hit, then hits the guy back is neither effective nor reality. *The way we train is I hit you I hit you I hit you you dont get up - done. *

So pretty much when they find that they either don't get the pre-emptive drop then they can't defend themselves adequately because they have never trained for that or if they don't finish their opponent immediately and their opponent manages to come back at them, then they are also done for as well. I don't like those odds.

My goal is self defense but I without sparring I wasn't sure if I would be better off with a boxing/Muay Thai school. So my question to you would it be effective without a resisting opponent?

Some shit like this is not useless and certainly better than nothing. Just realize that it's not the highest level of training. Training to fight and actually fight in the ring/cage, is the highest form of training. And sparring has many levels. It can be touch sparring, which is just tapping...all the way up to full sparring at 100% power, trying to KO your partner. A real fighting gym will have you sparring at all power levels.

If money was the issue and this guy was the cheapest, then I wouldn't mind training a few months there to see how it goes. Boxing is not too expensive, and a real Boxing gym that produces fighters will get you going the fastest.

A school that I am considering does a lot of different styles and I wanted to get people's opinions of pros and cons.

They do a lot of Japanese Ju Jitsu, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu techniques without rolling however, Kali stick/knife fighting, Judo, and self defense stuff that looks like Krav Maga. But the only issue is that they don't do any sparring at all, and you wear a judo GI at all times.

My goal is self defense but I without sparring I wasn't sure if I would be better off with a boxing/Muay Thai school. So my question to you would it be effective without a resisting opponent?

I think you need sparring to be able to properly defend yourself no matter the style you train.

Back