Elections ***Second Democratic Primary Debate play-by-play thread: Night 2. ***

Who Won the Debate?

• Total voters

Fawlty

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Second Democratic Primary Debates

Livestream via CNN: https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/democratic-debate-july-31-2019/index.html?adkey=bn

July 30 and 31, 2019
NBC News Democratic Primary Debate
Time: 8 p.m. ET (5 p.m. PT)
Aired On: CNN
Live Stream: cnn.com, cnn app

Night 1 - July 30
On stage from left to right- Marrianne Williamson, Tim Ryan, Amy Klobuchar, Pete Buttigieg, Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Beto O'Rourke, John Hickenlooper, John Delaney, Steve Bullock

Night 2 - July 31
On stage from left to right- Michael Bennet, Kirsten Gillibrand, Julián Castro, Cory Booker, Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, Andrew Yang, Tulsi Gabbard, Jay Inslee, Bill de Blasio

Moderators: Debate moderators will be Dana Bash (CNN Chief Political Correspondent), Don Lemon (Host of "CNN Tonight"), and Jake Tapper (Host of "The Lead with Jake Tapper" and "State of the Union")

Qualifications: To qualify for the second round of debates, candidates had to fulfill one of two criteria: either get 65,000 donors to their campaigns, with at least 200 donors in 20 different states, or obtain at least 1% in three polls recognized as legitimate by the committee.

Rules:

• 60 seconds to respond to moderator-directed questions, 30 seconds for responses and rebuttals. Colored lights will signal warning of time remaining.
  • Candidates attacked by name will have 30 seconds to respond
  • No show-of-hands, no one-word-answers
  • Interrupting candidates may receive time penalties

Last edited:
Night 2 quick candidate primer

Michael Bennet

mugshot__michael-bennet.jpg

Offices Held or Primary Experience:

United State Senator, Colorado, 2009-present
Superintendent of Denver Public Schools, 2005-2008
Chief of Staff for Governor Hickenlooper, 2003-2005
Various Investments/Consolidations, Managing Director, 1997-2003
Education:
Wesleyan
Yale Law, JD​

Joe Biden

mugshot__joe-biden.jpg

Professor, Penn Biden Center for Diplomacy, University of Pennsylvania, 2017-present
Vice President of United States, 2009-2017
United States Senator, Delaware, 1973-2009
Education:
University of Delaware
Syracuse Law, JD​

Cory Booker

Cory-Booker-Mayor-of-Newark.png

United State Senator, NJ, 2013-present
Mayor, Newark NJ, 2002-2013
Education:
Stanford
Rhodes Scholar
Yale Law, JD​

Julián Castro

mugshot__julian-castro.jpg

Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Secretary, 2014-2017
Mayor, San Antonio TX, 2009-2014
Activist and Attorney, 2002-2009
Education:
Stanford
Harvard Law, JD​

Bill de Blasio

aK0RBvJ.png

Mayor, New York City NY, 2014-present
New York City Public Advocate, 2010-2013
New York City Council, 2002-2009
Education:
NYU
Truman Scholar
Columbia, MIA​

Tulsi Gabbard

5475857da4601_tulsi_gabbard.jpg

U.S. House of Representatives, Hawaii, 2013-present
Honolulu City Council, 2011-2012
Army National Guard (Major), 2003-present
Hawaii House of Representatives, 2002-2004
Education:
Hawaii Pacific, BS​

Kirsten Gillibrand

181112_gma_gillibrand2_hpMain_1x1_240.jpg

United States Senator, New York, 2009-present
U.S. House of Representatives, New York, 2007-2009
Attorney, inc. Special Counsel to HUD Secretary 1991-2005
Education:
Dartmouth
UCLA Law, JD
https://www.ontheissues.org/kirsten_gillibrand.htm

Kamala Harris

kamala-harris-twitter.jpg

United States Senator, California, 2017-present
Attorney General of California, 2011-2017
San Francisco District Attorney, CA, 2004-2010
Attorney, inc. Deputy DA and City Attorney, 1990-2004
Education:
Howard
University of California, JD
https://www.ontheissues.org/kamala_harris.htm

Jay Inslee

W_governor-240x240.jpg

Governor of Washington, 2013-present
U.S. House of Representatives, Washington, 1999-2012
U.S. House of Representatives, Washington, 1993-1995
Washington House of Representatives, 1989-1993
Education:
Stanford
University of Washington
Willamette Law, JD
https://www.ontheissues.org/jay_inslee.htm

Andrew Yang

Andrew-Yang-1.jpg

CEO, Venture for America, 2011-2017
CEO, Manhattan Prep, 2006-2012
Various Startups and Acquisitions, 1999-2012
Education:
Brown
Columbia Law, JD​

Last edited:
Links to full previous debate:
Night 1: https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ6MrDO0kgY
Night 2: https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX7hni-zGD8

Full Interviews by Night 2 candidates (Pod Save America where available)

Michael Bennet

Joe Biden

Cory Booker

Julián Castro

Bill de Blasio

Tulsi Gabbard

Kirsten Gillibrand

Kamala Harris

Jay Inslee

Andrew Yang

Last edited:
Where the candidates stand now

RCP polling averages:

Latest/Current (click for larger view)

2byoIOb.png

3-Month View of Averages (click for larger view)

2JA8dFn.png

Biden has returned to the level of his post-announcement-bump after a temporary hit in the first debate. Harris got a strong bump and kept about half of it, which is great for her. Bernie has been holding his own but is not biting into Biden's lead. Warren continues her slow and steady rise. Pete Buttigieg is the only one back of the pack within striking distance of the contenders, but he has failed to find a solid inroad, though it's possible he could replicate Harris' jump in popularity.

Of the top contenders, only Biden and Harris are in the second debate, giving Harris an opportunity to strike at Biden again, and giving Biden an opportunity to redeem his sub-par first performance.

Julián Castro seemed poised for a big jump after his strong performance in June's debate, but that has not translated into support. Cory Booker is doing well enough in polls and fundraising to get his campaign off the ground, but he's still polling low and is running out of time to establish himself as a real contender. Castro, Gabbard, Yang and Gillibrand need to make a splash tonight, as all four are within striking distance of a spot in the September debates but need more good poll results and more donors.

Last edited:
#dibs

I should get to actually watch this one tonight. Bachelor is over!

I celebrated. And then my wife reminded me bachelor in paradise starts next week. And it's two nights a week.

My life sucks.

Also, Biden standing between Booker and Harris could turn into quite the beating.

Meh, I dislike virtually all of them.

Killah Kamala ends Biden's campaign tonight though.

<{jackyeah}>

Somebody better shove Grandpa Joe off the stage and give him a flying elbow drop for good measure.

#dibs

I should get to actually watch this one tonight. Bachelor is over!

I celebrated. And then my wife reminded me bachelor in paradise starts next week. And it's two nights a week.

My life sucks.

<DisgustingHHH>

The analogy is it's her football. She throws a watch party with a dozen girls every week. I either go to dive bars or play video games.

And thus she leaves me alone during football season and NHL playoffs when I'm watching TV or having guys over.

Great summaries, keep up the good work! Hopefully tonight is at least entertaining.

Why is Booker respected, doesn't Newark NJ suck? Did he do anything decent for the city? Their poverty rate is 28.3%, which is almost double that of south FL, In South Florida, an astonishing 921,000 people — 15.4 percent of the population — live below the poverty line.

That is fucking awful

Great summaries, keep up the good work! Hopefully tonight is at least entertaining.

Why is Booker respected, doesn't Newark NJ suck? Did he do anything decent for the city? Their poverty rate is 28.3%, which is almost double that of south FL, In South Florida, an astonishing 921,000 people — 15.4 percent of the population — live below the poverty line.

That is fucking awful

Couple of good, balanced pieces on his performance as mayor (one more negative and the other more positive):

https://www.governing.com/topics/politics/gov-what-cory-booker-accomplished.html

https://www.nj.com/essex/2019/02/no...ime-as-mayor-of-newark-but-how-did-he-do.html

Seems that he did pretty well overall. And the guy was a Rhodes Scholar, has a JD from Yale Law, etc. Really bright, decent person, well-educated, and he has a solid but kind of short résumé. Not in my top 5, but certainly worthy of respect, and he'd be a much better president than Trump (TBF, that's like saying that whomever the next Orioles first baseman is will be better than Chris Davis).

Couple of good, balanced pieces on his performance as mayor (one more negative and the other more positive):

https://www.governing.com/topics/politics/gov-what-cory-booker-accomplished.html

https://www.nj.com/essex/2019/02/no...ime-as-mayor-of-newark-but-how-did-he-do.html

Seems that he did pretty well overall. And the guy was a Rhodes Scholar, has a JD from Yale Law, etc. Really bright, decent person, well-educated, and he has a solid but kind of short résumé. Not in my top 5, but certainly worthy of respect, and he'd be a much better president than Trump (TBF, that's like saying that whomever the next Orioles first baseman is will be better than Chris Davis).

pretty interesting reads, I am only really familiar with him from the Kavanough hearing (I thought he looked ridiculous during his outburst), and the first debate (not enough mic time to form an opinion) Nothing really stands out as impressive, outside of his educational accolades, but nothing really negative either. Can't fault him for pushing his national recognition with his goals, and all politicians do that. No one can even compare to Trump in that regard as well. I liked this from the second link:

"he was the first mayor in 45 years who didn’t leave under the shadow of an indictment "

I thought Chris Davis was good tho? I haven't followed the team much since I left Bmore about 7 year ago. Chris Hoiles used to be one of my heroes lol.

God I hope Inslee makes a fool of himself. Dude is a straight up can that should go back to being the mayor of some po-dunk town where the competition is easier.

I thought Chris Davis was good tho? I haven't followed the team much since I left Bmore about 7 year ago. Chris Hoiles used to be one of my heroes lol.

He's hitting .181/.260/.315 as an everyday first baseman this year. In 470 ABs last year, he hit .168/.243/.296. As a first baseman! That wouldn't be acceptable offense from a good defensive SS. But, yeah, he had a star-caliber season seven years ago (and again five years ago).

He's hitting .181/.260/.315 as an everyday first baseman this year. In 470 ABs last year, he hit .168/.243/.296. As a first baseman! That wouldn't be acceptable offense from a good defensive SS. But, yeah, he had a star-caliber season seven years ago (and again five years ago).

I just looked his career stats, he has some OK years, never any really stellar ones it seems.. his batting avg last year was .168 tho???? They really don't have any other options?

This made me curious and I just checked the O's record from last season and so far this season...

Good god, last year they had a 29% win rate, the next lowest in the MLB was 35%, and only 5 teams, including the O's were below 40%.

I just looked his career stats, he has some OK years, never any really stellar ones it seems.. his batting avg last year was .168 tho???? They really don't have any other options?

This made me curious and I just checked the O's record from last season and so far this season...

Good god, last year they had a 29% win rate, the next lowest in the MLB was 35%, and only 5 teams, including the O's were below 40%.

I'd call .286/.370/.634 with 53 bombs "stellar". 6th in the league in bWAR among position players at 6.5. 2015 was also very good.

<FookIsThatGuy>

I missed his first stage appearance too for the most part.

He's the hyper climate change dude, no?

Poor Jay...

Yeah, he's really leaned into that. So much so that some think he's really just aiming to be tapped as head of the EPA.

As the Governor of a state that ranks highly in regards to healthcare, economy and education I'm surprised he's not getting more attention.

Back