Media Sean Strickland interview post Khamzat vs Usman fight

Early odds have Chimaev at -340 and Strickland at +270, what you guys think?

This is 100% true. If you saw them as a group of lads in the street, you'd know Khamzat is the guy gettting into street fights when he and his buddies outnumber a guy to kick him half to death, while Sean is the guy that barricades himself in a 7/11 taking hostages because they were out of newports.

I would pick all of the top 10 at MW over Usman at MW.
No, his skills do not translate to the next weight class up, especially since his skillset revolves around greco muscling his opponents around. Actually, top 8, he could get past a guy like Jack Hermansson.

Really?

Usman beat Strickland already.
I'd pick Usman over Izzy (izzy can't wrestle for shit).
Usman over Cannonier.
Usman over Costa.
Usman over Vittori
Usman over Allen
Usman over Dolidze.

You are tripping. Usman has the top wrestling in the UFC. His stand up greatly improved and he puts it together very well.

It's a bad style matchup for Strickland, he shines against someone willing to strike with him for 5 rounds, Khamzat is going to be like a magnet to his legs and crotch from the moment the fight starts. Sean isn't a big KO threat standing he's a volume guy, so Khamzat will feel zero fear in spamming TDs to get him down.

Sean would hold his own in grappling to not be submitted, but spend the majority of the fight on his back, getting back up to his feet or held against the cage in a boring way. It would be a snoozefest 49-46 or 48-47 decision for Khamzat where Sean comes back looking good in the last two rounds but it's too little too late. The fight is bad for everyone involved including the fans but good for the UFC's financial agenda so that's why it will happen.

Really?

Usman over Cannonier.
Usman over Costa.
Usman over Vittori
Usman over Allen
Usman over Dolidze.

You are tripping. Usman has the top wrestling in the UFC. His stand up greatly improved and he puts it together very well.
It isn't 2017 anymore.
Literally all the people you listed would beat MW Usman, bar maybe Allen.
His stand up is put together so well he's been outstruck in his last three fights and has thrown 2 kicks in his career. Strickland 50-44s Usman, Izzy does the same if he doesn't destroy his knees, Vettori is too big to wrestle fuck and a decent wrestler himself, Cannoneer and Costa are too big for Marty, and Dolidze is probably a 50/50. Eh, fuck it, Marty beats Dolidze probably.

You all act like Kamaru wouldn't beat Strickland. Kamaru walks around heavier than people think. His skills translate to the next weight class up.

How many middleweight could beat Usman? Not many.

He was a good 15 - 20 lbs lighter than Khamzat last night. He said he will weigh no more than 190 lbs before the fight. Khamzat was around 205 - 210 lbs.

You all act like Kamaru wouldn't beat Strickland. Kamaru walks around heavier than people think. His skills translate to the next weight class up.

How many middleweight could beat Usman? Not many.
I think current Strickland beats Usman everywhere, including the grappling. He is a completely different man than what Usman fought years ago. Even just looking at him now, Sean is fucking enormous compared to when he cut down to 170. I don't think Usman could control him now at all, and he would get obliterated on the feet.

Really?

Usman over Cannonier.
Usman over Costa.
Usman over Vittori
Usman over Allen
Usman over Dolidze.

I dunno. I'm an Usman fan and think he'd have an even harder time at MW than he is at WW.

I think current Strickland beats Usman everywhere, including the grappling. He is a completely different man than what Usman fought years ago.

It's unlikely he beats Usman in the WW division, so size is the main factor.

As for the MW division, we don't know.

This is a video of Strickand being beta and publicly proclaiming Khamzat’s alpha-ness over his whole team. Strickland is known for brutally beating on his sparring partners but changes real quick when Khamzat is there.

And you're not taking any of that with a grain of salt?

Back