• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Screws in your wall can kill you

I would think who ever first screwed the screw into the wall would be the one who was screwed.

If you have a lot of spare time on your hands, and it bothers you greatly you, might use one of those electrical power testers to test the different screws in your walls. they are cheap and for sale at hardware stores. I was using one the other day while doing some house work.

There's gotta be more to it. I get shocked regularly, mostly 120v and it's nothing. Maybe she had a heart condition or other serious health issue. Maybe they screwed to the mains.

Happened in England, they use 220 there.

Whether or not you die from a shock typically depends on how the current moves through your body. In this case it's likely her feet or her other hand was grounded, so the current went through her arm into her heart on the way to the ground.

I've sometimes seen electricians working with live voltage put there left hand behind their back--to avoid the possiblity of sending current from one hand to the other which is what is most likely to kill you.

Last edited:
It’s based entirely on location. It’s Romex where I live but we call it Loomex/Heatex. I know in places like New York it’s all conduit because of the rat problem and down in Venezuela it’s a single Romex 12/2 free air connection servicing houses. I have a former coworker that lived there a few years ago.
Also Try replacing circuits with romex you will beg for pipe n wire in most cases.

I just heard a story about this musician, maybe some of you have heard of him, from a band called herbaliser, lost his wife because they had some kind of rack on the wall and the screws that held it up made contact with the wiring inside the wall. When she touched the rack, it electrocuted her.

Now I'm paranoid. I've hung a ton of things on my walls with screws, how do I know I never screwed into a hot wire?

She would have had to touch the rack and something else that was grounded to even get a shock.

Also Try replacing circuits with romex you will beg for pipe n wire in most cases.
I’ve done an awful lot of wire fishing and have got quite good at it. The only things I prefer to be piped are communication wires as they’re the mostly like to be updated. My problem with conduit work is it’s too rigid. The customers I deal with have a hard time of sticking to a plan so using highly flexible Romex is preferred to conduit.
I don’t live in a big city where contractors have set designs where the owners only choose things like colours or handles. Everything is custom.

Damn. I need to screw in a cute bunny rack/shelf. What if it kills me :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saork76
Back