Scott Coker wants to see Bellator MMA on CBS and Showtime: ‘That’s definitely a goal of ours’

Coker isn't the problem before he started running Bellator they never made any money. They did however make a big mistake in putting John McCarthy, Josh Thomson and Mike Goldberg on the commentary team, they suck together. They need to bring back either Mauro and/or Quadros, they make the fights much more exciting to watch.

Mauro is awful imo, I'd really rather they avoided him.

i have no idea what bellator should do. they have more talent than they’ve ever had and their cards almost never deliver. maybe hire a better matchmaker

Right there is the problem.

Ratings tank, they sign more guys, ratings don't improve, sign more guys, ratings go down, etc etc. Scott Coker buys into the the simple philosophy of , "build they will come mentality". He hasn't understood the UFC already did that and that is where people go. Bellator has the roster to put out good cards many more times than not and get people talking on some level. But instead we get one card here and there that is solid on paper(creates a little ripple in the sea of MMA news) and a whole hell of alot of filler events in between that more or less go unnoticed. When you dive into the ratings these UFC signings when they fight do help peak numbers and help attendance(drastically compared to before). The problem is nothing below the headlining fight even gets people to tune in. Viacom can't even get Bellator to air live in parts of the US at times throughout their history. Nothing flows from event to event. A very low budget on marketing. It's just a damn mess from top to bottom.

Viacom should sell it off and at best Coker should be nothing more than talent relations position if he is even retained by new ownership or if Viacom continues to own Bellator. They need new blood running the show.

Damn. Good post.

I would get rid of the entire commentary team and bring in an entirely new commentary team, anyone who has some experience in the commentary, as opposed to just being a fighter. If anything, I would keep Big John on the booth with Chael or something, just because of his immense knowledge.

god, no. big john is basically the worst commentator/interviewer around.

He's not bad on a team of 2 or three commentators but I like Quadros better.

I just don't get why the UFC are able to find really competent play by play guys like Fitzgerald or Gooden as their 2nd string announcers but everyone else seems incapable of finding anyone half decent.

The guy who does play by play with Brad Pickett for ACA is pretty decent, maybe they should look at him.

god, no. big john is basically the worst commentator/interviewer around.
He is a walking MMA encyclopedia and very respected in the MMA community, though. So, having him, even as an analyst in the booth is an asset, IMO.

I just don't get why the UFC are able to find really competent play by play guys like Fitzgerald or Gooden as their 2nd string announcers but everyone else seems incapable of finding anyone half decent.

The guy who does play by play with Brad Pickett for ACA is pretty decent, maybe they should look at him.

Fitzgerald used to be terrible when he started, he reminded me of Gus Johnson but he's gotten way better.

Fitzgerald used to be terrible when he started, he reminded me of Gus Johnson but he's gotten way better.

True, they're good at spotting potential and letting it develop.

Whereas Josh Thomson and Big John haven't gotten better at all.

True, they're good at spotting potential and letting it develop.

Whereas Josh Thomson and Big John haven't gotten better at all.

Yeah Thomson has been bad at commentary for years and Big John while knowledgeable isn't very entertaining and there isn't much excitement from Thomson or Goldberg to make up for it.

It really isn’t bashing at all. It’s the truth and everybody knows it. Look, I don’t want them to fail but with Ol’ Scott Coker at the reigns it’s going to. The show simply isn’t entertaining to watch. They need a new look and “feel” to it. They try so hard to be like the UFC. Remember that commentator that was trying to sound like Joe Rogan? It’s cringeworthy. I hope they reinvent themselves and give the UFC some competition (like Pride did). Real competition makes for great conversation and is a win-win for not just the fighters but the fans, too.
The only promoters to ever have any success on a big scale in MMA are Zuffa, Coker & Sakakibara. That's it, that's the list.

if you cant produce on paramount network what are you going to do on CBS or SHowtime? They got relegated to cbs sports for a reason.

thursday night mma during nfl season was a brilliant idea.

They had a great model from the first Tentpole to Kimbo v DD5K. Ratings were through the roof.

What everyone fails to realize is, it doesn't matter what network they're on. If you put a piece of shit on a small network, a few people will see a piece of shit. If you put a piece of shit on a big platform, MORE people will see this piece of shit. The product sucks. It doesn't even attempt to create its own identity in the market. Nobody wants to watch a cookie-cutter, bush league organization that features UFC has-beens. Get rid of that boring idiot (Scott Coker) and hire someone with charisma and good ideas. It's sick how stupid Viacom is for throwing $100 million to polish that turd.
it's featherweight division is like one of the most exciting.

thinking of people of UFC has beens is dumb. It's not about the promotion, about the fighters.

Their tournaments generally is a part of an identity.

Bellator would exceed more if they had small shows each year and then each big show on CBS or Showtime were 1 night tournaments, 4 fighters, with another title fight on the card to supplement it.

and the ratings for the regular shows cratered. The price you pay for freak shows.

The show immediately after also got a rating boost.

thinking of people of UFC has beens is dumb. It's not about the promotion, about the fighters.

Bellator would exceed more if they had small shows each year and then each big show on CBS or Showtime were 1 night tournaments, 4 fighters, with another title fight on the card to supplement it.

Pretty much the tentpole model. They need to start doing something like that again.

What everyone fails to realize is, it doesn't matter what network they're on. If you put a piece of shit on a small network, a few people will see a piece of shit. If you put a piece of shit on a big platform, MORE people will see this piece of shit. The product sucks. It doesn't even attempt to create its own identity in the market. Nobody wants to watch a cookie-cutter, bush league organization that features UFC has-beens. Get rid of that boring idiot (Scott Coker) and hire someone with charisma and good ideas. It's sick how stupid Viacom is for throwing $100 million to polish that turd.
Largely agree, they've had some solid UFC signings but some of them have been woeful. Signed so many UFC HW's that were well beyond their prime, they place too much investment on individual fighters boosting their ratings and revenue instead of investing in prospects, contenders & building actual divisions. When they do find fresh contenders, they throw all their eggs in one basket by forcing the spotlight on them too early.

It IS about the organization as well. Don’t kid yourself.

Back