News Scott Coker back in the MMA promotion business

TorontoTO

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
“With a history rich in combat sports, San Jose hosted the first ever sanctioned mixed martial arts event in California when the Scott Coker-led promotion Strikeforce held its inaugural fight night at SAP Center in 2006,” a press release read. “That history continues with FIGHT NIGHT AT THE TECH, a promotion in which Coker will serve as Executive Producer.”

“It always feels great giving back to the Bay Area, a place I call home,” Coker said in a statement. “We’re looking for the next mixed martial arts superstar and to grow the amazing talent pool here in California even further. Fight Night at the Tech will give these young fighters a chance to shine.”

The first Fight Night at the Tech event will take place on May 18th, 2024. Tickets go on sale Monday, March 18th.

lmao so PFL didn't even give him a payoff and get a non compete?

I feel so bad for Coker. Seems like a good guy and like he knows the right people but isnt able to promote for shit.

I feel so bad for Coker. Seems like a good guy and like he knows the right people but isnt able to promote for shit.

He does half the job at 10/10 level he does the other half at 2/10. He is great at acquiring talent. And that is the number 1 concern of an upstart promotion. They will cross the bridge of him not knowing what to do with said talent when they get to it.

Id thought he join Sakakibara but apparently Sakakibara has plans with someone else 👀

Why then. I think he truly was bellator's problem. He has no idea except let's get those vets from the UFC and build MVP for a thousand years before giving him real comp

At least it sounds like he is doing this more from the standpoint of giving back, a platform for the young fighters to get noticed.

I just hopes he keeps that thought process. Obviously there is little to no money to be made in this venture.

...and ran it to the ground. He basically just threw money at it and saw no return.
Ehh there is a lot of different stuff that went into the fall of Strikeforce, mostly their biggest benefactor pulling out of nowhere

I think the Bellator vs. Rizin and Bellator vs. PFL events have shown, in addition to his Strikeforce record, that he's an elite recruiter. He's not good at getting people excited for the fighters he has recruited.

...and ran it to the ground. He basically just threw money at it and saw no return.

Threw money at it and saw no return for the entire 20 year run of the promotion

l2Z84eFooeHJu.webp

Spent too much money on non-needle movers who had big names among hardcores.

Are noncompetes even enforceable in CA?

The org name (or show name) doesn't sound cool. Curious who they'll sign. I'd like to see him bring back Shinya Aoki... and the tall blonde ring girl who impromptu put up her dukes in photo face off against the 170 lb BJJ guy who's now much bigger than 170 lbs.

Coker will serve as an executive producer, working alongside former Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez, who is also heavily involved with the event.

*Re-start of the old Strikeforce … build up from scratch***

Ehh there is a lot of different stuff that went into the fall of Strikeforce, mostly their biggest benefactor pulling out of nowhere
I mean, that benefactor didnt pull out if nowhere. Strikeforce was failing and they werent willing to commit more resources to a losing bet.

I mean, that benefactor didnt pull out if nowhere. Strikeforce was failing and they werent willing to commit more resources to a losing bet.
Strikeforce was not failing, don't know where this idea has come from.

Coker requires more sacrifice. His lust for blood will never be quenched.

Back