School me on the music industry

Rowe Jogan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is there anyone here who has legit experience/schooling in the music industry? For some reason, I am interested in learning about music contracts, international and domestic touring logistics, percentages, producer credits/fees, contract stipulations etc.

I'm not a huge fan of him but I saw this on TMZ and got curious. http://www.tmz.com/2013/01/18/ti-75-million-dollar-record-label-contract/

Sources close to T.I. tell TMZ ... T.I.'s 10-year contract with Atlantic ran up only a month ago ... but he's already put together his own idea of a $75 million deal:

- 3 albums
- 10-20 percent of publishing, touring, merchandise, film and TV rights
- Corporate endorsement deals
- Exclusive signing of all Grand Hustle artists

Is 10-20% a good cut for those rights? What about in the 1980's and 90's?

If a rock band sells 10,000 seats for 50 bucks a tickets, how will that half a million be split among: 5 band members, 3 touring members, guitar tech(s) and audio engineers, tour manager and staff, roadies, record company? What about for a 2,000 seater gig? The difference between today and the 1980's and 90's?

I know a lot about the artist side, but not a ton about the nuts and bolts of the business side.

I can answer any specific questions about the process.

Walking out the door now, but when I return tonight perhaps I can dive into this.

Ofcourse I've never had a contract even close to the universe that they are describing here -but the detail here is so sketchy it doesn't even seem to be a real discussion.

-a lot of record companies still owe me bits of money I will never see. So I have a bit of specific experience

Back in the day Prince and Madonna got to make their own rules -everyone else took the advance, tried to stay above water on the recoupables, and get out from under the first deal with enough promotion and exposure to move enough merchandise to escape with a nice lifestyle and a name that you could cash in on in the future.

I can't give you anything too in depth but I still recommend the book So You Want to be a Rock and Roll Star by Jacob Slichter (he was the drummer for Semisonic that had one hit with Closing Time). We read that for our course back in uni and he came in for a Q & A session. It's a good book that uses his personal experiences to explain the overall flow of the music industry.

Nowadays, couldnt you just market yourself for free on twitter, facebook, and youtube? Do you still need to big record companies?

Back