School in Los Angeles

Status
Not open for further replies.

loui_ludwig

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I lived by the Los Feliz area, anybody knows a good bjj or grappling school around this area.

I'm not exactly sure where Los Feliz is, but if I were to train in LA, I would not look any further than Shawn Williams. He is on the corner of La Cienega and Santa Monica Blvd. They do both gi and no gi and he is excellent at both. I've met over 30 black belts and gotten to watch them teach class and Shawn Williams is easily at or near the top as far as those who impressed me the most as a teacher. It doesn't get much better than his isntruction, he's a black belt under Renzo Gracie in case you were wondering. His website with school info is at www.HollywoodBJJ.com

www.greenwhaleproductions.com

hey man, I am a brazilian who recently was in LA, and if I can recomend someone, I would say, go for Wander Braga. Look him up at www.wanderbraga.com He is a good guy...

I heard Wander is teaching with Fabiano Iha at this HUEG facility in the 818 area. I wish I remembered what the website was, but the place is supposed to be similar to how the No Limits place is down in Irvine.

shawn williams is popular and good. trained with him before

if you want a competent teacher, and the NICEST guy, at least in my opinion, i would say go with rey diogo. www.reydiogo.com

http://www.liontc.com/
Wander Braga teaches gi and Fabiano Iha teaches no gi. It's new & in Glendale, right off the 134/5 frwys (S.F. Road), really close to you in Los Feliz.
I ain't saying their the best, just some info for you to check out maybe.
You'll also have access to the 15 or so kickboxing bags, the full weight training/treadmill area, the ring and of course the mat area.

They have monitors up and music thumping (but nothing too loud). Brand new wood floors for the bag area, brand new equipment for the weight area and a good size mat area which is open on one side and faces the bag area. We are still waiting for some lockers though :)

For the Shawn Williams place: would they let you stay for both the beginner and the advanced classes on the same night & count it as one days training?... just wondering for my own info, thanks.

Regarding Shawn,
Yeah you can stay for both classes. But he will be covering advanced material in the later class so beginners are welcome to stay and train, but the material might not apply to them just yet.

You might also check out John Machado's place down by Wilshire and La Brea. That's where I train. He's actually moving into a place over the farmer's market soon, by the Grove.

Thanks for all of your response.

Hollywood BJJ and John Machado, they are to far for me. But i did go t Roger Machado in Pasadena for 3 months, my contract ended because its too much for me.

Basically, i am looking for a cheap BJJ school, i plan to attend only 2 or 3 days a week because of work.

I've been to Fabiona Iha and Wander Braga, its called Lion's Training Center. Its $150 dollars a month for jiu jitsu, boxing, and kickboxing. Fabiano told me he will start in August for the opening of the school. They do not have the schedule out yet, but the jiu jitsu has already started.

Green Whale said:
There is a Renato Magno brown belt who teaches in the 818 somewhere. Not sure on the website though, if I remember or find it, I will post.

I talked to him yesterday. s 2 day class a week is $120, but he said he can lower the price.

Green Whale said:
Regarding Shawn,
Yeah you can stay for both classes. But he will be covering advanced material in the later class so beginners are welcome to stay and train, but the material might not apply to them just yet.

So you can stay for both classes and it gets charged as a "one-day" thing, eh? :) If you don't mind, how is traffic at those evening times in that area?... and how are the morning classes?

And $150 for Iha's/Braga's LTC?... um... sorry, maybe i got the grand openning rate ;) I'm gonna try and get him down to 100 a month since i can only do one night and maybe one morning. Seems fair to me, and if not I may check out that Williams place. I just need a place that has both bags and a mat, you know? :)

I'd call Shawn to verify everything, but I would find it very hard to believe that you get counted for 2 days if you stay for beginner and advanced back to back. Shawn is the nicest guy out there and that is not something he would do. 310 483 9669 to contact him.

I have no idea what the morning are like, but Shawn spends a lot of time on the mat with his students. When I went to advanced class, I was there from 730-930 and they weren't even done rolling. I heard they go real late sometimes.

Traffic is traffic, not much you can do about it. It depends where you come from but check it out one time and see how it works out.

To GreenWhale,

during the NO GI Tounament, in the Greenwhale booth, was that you. I bought 2 dvd for 20 or 15 dollars. Those 2 dvd are excellent.

Shawn's the man, and so are the other 5 Seans at the academy.

Greenwhale, who are you?

~Jonathan

Thank you very much. I am glad you enjoyed them. You know, I was back and forth from the booth so it might have been me or someone else. I was filming the video for the tournament once the advanced divisions started. thanks for the support.

Dr. Badass,
I don't train with Shawn but I been to his place once to train. I'll PM ya! I remember meeting a couple of other seans at the school too. Pretty funny, you say Shawn and everyone looks. lol

ShyNinja said:
So you can stay for both classes and it gets charged as a "one-day" thing, eh? :) If you don't mind, how is traffic at those evening times in that area?... and how are the morning classes?

And $150 for Iha's/Braga's LTC?... um... sorry, maybe i got the grand openning rate ;) I'm gonna try and get him down to 100 a month since i can only do one night and maybe one morning. Seems fair to me, and if not I may check out that Williams place. I just need a place that has both bags and a mat, you know? :)

What area do you live, if your only taking the 5 freeway going south its probably traffic by the time you get to the Griffith area, but if going north, i do not think its that traffic.

If i take the 5 freeway from my area, about 10 min, by street about 15 min.

I know 2 other Seans that came over there from Rickson's place when Mario Aiello left Rickson's to start up Hollywood BJJ. I think they are both purples. They followed Mario and now he's gone, but perhaps they're very happy with their new namesake.

johil d'o said:
I know 2 other Seans that came over there from Rickson's place when Mario Aiello left Rickson's to start up Hollywood BJJ. I think they are both purples. They followed Mario and now he's gone, but perhaps they're very happy with their new namesake.

i used to train there couple years back and used to be taught by mario every day, what ever happened to mario? was there some kinda falling out? or he just leave to start his new school
i saw him at bestbuy and he said he started a school in whollywood, and how about mauricio costa? is he still around anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back