Scales give different weights

S

SteveSmith

I weight 150 at my own scale... But the weird thing is, the other day I weighted on another scale, and it gave 145! 30 minutes later I tried my scale and it gave 150. A 5 pound difference is quite big! Is there a way to know your real weight?

That is just the way it is. At my gym there are three different scales all with slightly different readings. I just use all of them and take and average.

Take a dumbbell, put it on it n see which gives the most accurate reading.

It really doesn't matter. Just focus on one scale and the RELATIVE weight, for example if you GAIN or LOSE pounds on one particular scale.

why do you need to know your weight? either callibrate your scale with one you're going to be using for a weigh in, buy a better scale, or use the same scale consistently.... and at 150 lbs I suggest you make a sandwich before you do anything.

I go by how I look unless I'm training and have to make a weight class.

Or else I become obsessed with gaining weight and looking big.

Urban said:
and at 150 lbs I suggest you make a sandwich before you do anything.
ahAHAHA...

I'm 150...

Im going to eat now...

Urban said:
why do you need to know your weight? either callibrate your scale with one you're going to be using for a weigh in, buy a better scale, or use the same scale consistently.... and at 150 lbs I suggest you make a sandwich before you do anything.
this scale thing can be a real problem for guys that have to be a certin weight in order to fight

Richard Emling said:
this scale thing can be a real problem for guys that have to be a certin weight in order to fight
That's why you should make sure you have an accurate scale. Always be under (one to two pounds) on your own scale. Most weigh-in's use pretty new (and expensive) digital scales, so they are not going to be that off.

Richard Emling said:
Yeah, I recognize that. That's why I made several (and what I thought to be reasonable) suggestions instead of just blowing him off entirely. But steve's a funny guy: one might think he's trolling, but he seems to get genuinely offended when you call him out about it. With a minimal amount of logic and common sense somebody might come to the conclusion that weight is (for the most part) a measurement biased by the scale being used and nobody really knows their weight. If a certain scale is being used for determining your weight for a fight, either use that one or get one that gives measurements close to it. Right? am I right? is this thread a silly question? I mean weight and mass are concrete things, no doubt about it, but quantifying any measurement is subject to human and mechanical error, anyone who's ever done a lab in high school knows this because that shit never worked out like it did on paper.

I mean, it's an alright question I suppose, but it's not something I would post about. Not that I'm so high and mighty or anything, but- ok here's my thought process, I'll map out the interior monologue for you:
"hmmm, interesting, I just came from the doctor's office and the scale said I weight 180, but my scale here at home says I weight 184. That's weird cause I haven't consumed 4 lbs of anything on my car ride home. I wonder how that is. the only conclusion I can draw is that the two scales being used are callibrated differently. Mine being a 20 dollar scale, it's more likely to be the less accurate of the two... of course it sees less use, so the other one may be equally innacurate due to wear. Maybe nobody really knows their 'true' weight and it's all just based on bad scales. Man I'm glad I don't have to conform to weight classes or I'd have to find a scale that mimiced the behavior of the one used for my weigh ins. I could go for some nachos."

I mean, except for the nacho part (damn, now I DO want some nachos) I would think that would be common for everyone to have the cognitive capability to do this. Is that too great an expectation for the general public? I mean, do people really expect every scale to reflect the accuracy of those at the museum of measurments? are they really baffeled by the difference from one scale to another?

He didn't say what kind of scale he's using. It he's using those cheap spring-loaded bathroom scales, they'll never be accurate. If he really want to know, he should run to UPS and hop on one of their digital scales.

Tap112 said:
That's why you should make sure you have an accurate scale. Always be under (one to two pounds) on your own scale. Most weigh-in's use pretty new (and expensive) digital scales, so they are not going to be that off.
wher are you weighing in? most of my fights i weighed in on a old bathroom style scale

I know it seems like I'm following you around steve, but really I didn't even realize this was your thread until after I wrote the bulk of my second post. again, I'm not sure your attitude is warranted, but that's the problem with the internet, there's no tone of voice, so you have no way to hear whether or not I'm being hostile. And I'm not. The way I hear the above posts in my head is in a normal, calm, non-condescending tone of voice, and yet you seem to think I'm being an asshole. I'm sorry, but that's in how you're reading them, not in how I indended them.

Steve i think the guy that suggested puting a weight on the scale and seeing how accurate it was is probably the way to go. They do the same thing with digital scales to calibrate them, atleast the small ones you use for measuring in grams.

And Urban your post did come off pretty rude, i dont know if you meant it to sound like that or not but if i asked that question in person and someone gave me that answer i would stick my foot up their ass.

P.S. Steve your reply was golden.

My scale is like .2 more than the scale at my school but that isnt a big deal but umm 5 pounds kina is go get it calibrated.

codysweet02 said:
P.S. Steve your reply was golden.
No it wasn't, his reply was a fish on a hook. He flops around and I tug more on the line. A response like that just lets an asshole know he has control.

I'm with Urban on this one. I'm sharper than most so I do my best to exercise patience (since if I was short every time I thought a question was stupid I would probably be a very unpopular person), but really, Steve, is this something you need to ask people on a forum?

They call it common sense because it's supposed to be common, am I wrong?

Madmick said:
I'm with Urban on this one. I'm sharper than most so I do my best to exercise patience (since if I was short every time I thought a question was stupid I would probably be a very unpopular person), but really, Steve, is this something you need to ask people on a forum?

They call it common sense because it's supposed to be common, am I wrong?

Simple deductive reasoning, and unfortunately some don't have much of it. Either the OP didn't bother to think his way though it, or just posted flippantly and didn't really describe his real question very well, which may have been, "what is the best way to determine your actual weight since I get such wide disparity with various scales?

Back