• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SBBC: Problems with the boss

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my best friends went to William and Mary. @RR: he was the guy i went to the NCAA games in Houston with, for which you scored us the tickets.

One thing I've noticed in the US is that a lot of middle class kids have a sense of entitlement about getting into college and getting parents to pay for whatever school they get into. "I want to go to UofColorado" (big party school and skiing), you have to pay because I got in". That UC example is not random -- it's a guy that I know who was a professor and chair at a school much more prestigious than UC.

Not to say that doesn't happen in Canada but the costs of private/out of state education in teh US can be 3 or 4 fold of university in Canada. I'm both amazed by the balls on some of these kids and the fact that their parents go along with it.
I had two friends go to UVA, parents paid. Another Purdue, parents paid. Guy at duke had a golf scholarship. Two at W&M, parents paid.

Virtually evetyone i knew at SDSU qualified for grants, or their parents paid.

Conversely i got a high five and good luck, yet didnt qualify for shit bc my stepdad was a LTC. So i chose the cheapest major school i could find

Trinity College in Hartford Ct just raised their tuition, room etc to 70k a year.

Thats fucking absurd for a liberal arts college is a small city known for insurance lol.

Hartford has serious ghettos as well from what I recall.

I had two friends go to UVA, parents paid. Another Purdue, parents paid. Guy at duke had a golf scholarship. Two at W&M, parents paid.

Virtually evetyone i knew at SDSU qualified for grants, or their parents paid.

Conversely i got a high five and good luck, yet didnt qualify for shit bc my stepdad was a LTC. So i chose the cheapest major school i could find

I hope I'm not offending you but every time I read one of your hardship stories I get depressed. And I don't mean that in a small way. if I read 2 or 3 of your stories consecutively I'm making sure there are no sharp objects around.

Both of your dads sound like assholes and your mom was in 3 bank heists. I mean literally, WTF son? (to quote you)

I hope I'm not offending you but every time I read one of your hardship stories I get depressed. And I don't mean that in a small way. if I read 2 or 3 of your stories consecutively I'm making sure there are no sharp objects around.

Both of your dads sound like assholes and your mom was in 3 bank heists. I mean literally, WTF son? (to quote you)
My dad offered to claim me on taxes, give me half the tax credit, and id at least qualify for Inst Scholarships bc he made less being Enlisted.

My mom/stepdad said no, at least my Dad tried tho

These aren't hardship stories, well not intently, i mean them more comically. I was just agreeing w/ you on this about lots of people feeling entitled to have parents pay for school, well unless they're lower income and then they get grants. Even I thought for like a minute my parents might hook it up, or grandparents, and that was with being raised in my house where i should've known better. Society tricked me haha

The key part of that story is 'didn't qualify for scholarships even' which means i wasn't raised in a remotely rough economic situation, at least not once my stepdad came into the picture. So ya, it was quite strict among other things, but tens of millions likely have it much worse from other regards. If anything, my situation much better prepared me for the realities of life, and just represented how many people were raised just a generation prior

Graduated with zero debt and loans. People can always choose to go to a school they can afford to go to.

My dad offered to claim me on taxes, give me half the tax credit, and id at least qualify for Inst Scholarships bc he made less being Enlisted.

My mom/stepdad said no

<2>

Seriously though, I cannot imagine. My biological dad is shady (a lawyer who works with sketchy people) but he is so long out of the picture that it doesn't matter. my 'real' dad is just about the most reliable and trustworthy person you could ever imagine. My mother can be a hard ass -- but in a good way.

Hartford has serious ghettos as well from what I recall.
Frog Hollow use to be really bad. Generally the whole north end of Hartford. Two gangs use to be real prevalent in Hartford, Latin Kings and Los Solidos.

obviously it helps if you can live at home and commute to school for situations like that
which is why i lived w/ my grandparents SO year in Mira Mesa and drove to school.

well that and it's roughly 300% more expensive nationwide to go to school than it was in 2000

I already told my kids that I'm not paying for 100% of some random private school education. My colleague at work went to visit Boston College with his daughter and it was something like $64,000/yr. I didn't stutter --- Boston College.

My kids can go back to Canada and save (me) a lot of money while getting their ugrad degree.

I finished 5.5 years of undergrad and UM and UF with zero loan debt. Florida Bright Futures program ftw (plus I worked 25-30 hrs/wk throughout undergrad)

Law school is another story...

even w/ 0% disability, the dependents of all disabled vets get tuition waived at CA public schools, it's the only reason i applied for it at first for my back

although if he wants to go to i don't know USC or Stanford i'll hopefully be able to help him, i mean he's 4 so who knows.

even w/ 0% disability, the dependents of all disabled vets get tuition waived at CA public schools, it's the only reason i applied for it at first for my back

although if he wants to go to i don't know USC or Stanford i'll hopefully be able to help him, i mean he's 4 so who knows.

If your household income is below $70,000/yr (IIRC) you don't pay anything at Stanford. You dont' pay full tuition until $180,000 HH income. i.e. at $125k HH income you only pay 50% of tuition.

If your household income is below $70,000/yr (IIRC) you don't pay anything at Stanford. You dont' pay full tuition until $180,000 HH income. i.e. at $125k HH income you only pay 50% of tuition.
his mom claims him anyway, so that's why i said 'help'

it's technically 'child of a veteran' even though it's called the Dependent Fee waiver so i assume we'll be fine even if he's not my actual dependent anymore b/c a Birth Cert is the first listed identifying supported document

both my younger sisters went to school for free on this b/c my dad was retired, he was Active so I didn't qualify

I didn't qualify for and grants or anything for undergrad and my parents didn't have anything saved up to help me. Even after a free ride through grad school I ended up with around $40k in debt when it was all over.

If I would have followed my parents' advice I would have married the girl I dated after high school (did not age well), would have multiple kids, and probably poor.

Taxes are in

Time to start hitting that overtime to try to hit that 6k saved in bank by august

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back