Savate

Savate simple does not match up well with kickboxing and muay thai. The kicks have very little power behind them.

Someone posted a full savate fight a while back. Try to search "savate" and maybe you can find it.

I train savate because it's super cheap where I am and I'm pretty satisfied because it's quite intense. I realize though that some of the techniques lack power. In savate, they usually train for is just points-kickboxing or assaut-savate, meaning that if you happen to touch the other guy's head/body/leg with a strike, you'll get points. So a lot of the technique is focused on getting to the target FAST. There is also combat-savate, which emphasizes power and KO, so that might be an option. An art like muay thai on the other hand emphasizes power, because they train for KO all the time.

The strikes itself incorporate a lot of different techniques, including thai roundhouse kicks, kyokushin/TKD spin kicks, western boxing, etc. So you do train a shitload of stuff. Some techniques dont have power, whereas other ones can.

Some are rules that are a little weird IMO. You kick with shoes on and you're expected to make contact with the shoe. So no shin strikes. Also, no clinch/kneeing/elbowing.

The only way I can see savate having an advantage over muay thai is shoe kicks, which fucking kill if it lands right. I can see savate having a lot more variety of strikes than muay thai, for better or worse.

I think Ernesto Hoost is a savateur.

One time I watched a Savate presentation on the Las vegas strip and it was impressive to see. One of the guys kicked plates that were thrown up in the air. Another of the guys kicked throw the wire imbedded glass then they had a sparring session and went pretty hard on each other you could hear the kicks land and they were coming out fast as hell. The coolest thing they did was fight with canes it looked brutal to the hands. If i had the chance to learn Savate i would jump on it because it looks like a really cool martial art

Im also curious about Savate, im hearing talk of savate coming to my little town, and since the muay thai place is a serious mc-dojo place im looking for other options to suplement my boxing.

Opinions are apreciated about how savate blend in with western boxing. (im guessing that it can be an fairly efective blend, if nothing else perhaps i learn a new trick or 2..)

Boomstick said:
One time I watched a Savate presentation on the Las vegas strip and it was impressive to see. One of the guys kicked plates that were thrown up in the air. Another of the guys kicked throw the wire imbedded glass then they had a sparring session and went pretty hard on each other you could hear the kicks land and they were coming out fast as hell. The coolest thing they did was fight with canes it looked brutal to the hands. If i had the chance to learn Savate i would jump on it because it looks like a really cool martial art

Thrown plates? You've got to be kidding me? That *is* impressive.

I've tried to hit thrown things after spinning (just goofing around) and I always miss. If a guy can hit it right out of the air....damn....

krellik said:
Im also curious about Savate, im hearing talk of savate coming to my little town, and since the muay thai place is a serious mc-dojo place im looking for other options to suplement my boxing.

Opinions are apreciated about how savate blend in with western boxing. (im guessing that it can be an fairly efective blend, if nothing else perhaps i learn a new trick or 2..)

From what I have been reading on Savate it is already a blend of western boxing and an old French kicking art called "Chausson" which was used by sailors in the early 1800's who had been to the eastern orient. In 1830 a man called Charles Lecour who was a Chausson fighter got his ass handed to him by an English pugilist or "boxer" called Owen Swift. After the defeat he took boxing classes and added the hand strikes to his kicks and created modern Savate.

Thats cool to know vale tudo guy.

Can anybody give a good description of the art. How the kicking works, what type of mechanics do they use, and so on...

I have heard interesting things that savate is suposed to be much about "angles" in a special way.. Anybody know anything about this.

Sorry if my questions are a bit unfocused, it is because to be honest I really dont know that much about the art...

Thanks a bunch VTGuy! Just what I was looking for.. :)

I've never even seen a savate school anywhere around where I live. I've read a couple articles about it in Black Belt magazine. I'm not trying to sound ignorant or anything, but it looks a little too much like dancing to me. Is it really very applicable?

Hmmm. I wonder how different it is from TKD, it sounds very similar.

Brand Nizzle said:
Hmmm. I wonder how different it is from TKD, it sounds very similar.

Except savate uses hand striking waaaaay more than TKD.

Remember Me? said:

Actually, looking at the website, it looks a lot like traditional ITF TKD (which uses hands way more than Olympic style).

The main difference is probably that they don't work on hyungs (katas) and such.

Other than that the kicks look the same.

There was a guy in the early 90's that was in UFC1(2 maybe?) and in the tournament that Rickson was in in the movie "Choke"

Savate is a great style. You get to wear shoes so that makes it more realistic for street fighting and since it is still relatively obscure, opponents would be unfamiliar with it.

Remember Me? said:

Yeah there's a lot of hand-techniques. The stuff they teach you for your hands is just straight up Western boxing.

The kicks are similar to TKD, though.

I did notice that the hand techniques looked much more similar to western style boxing than to TKD or Karate. Of course, it did come from a western/European country, so that would make sense.

Back