Saulo Ribeiro NEW NO GI series .

El Gato

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Does any body own this yet ? If so how would you rate it ? Saulo's last set is the best instructionals I've seen . I'll end up getting this set A.S.A.P. , I'll post a review when I get them if one isn't already posted .

Didn't know it existed ... but bet I will find it now

I got it one week ago!

If you liked the first series this one is even better. Submissions volume is the best one.
Half guard too. Saulo must have won more of his matches from the half guard because if you sum the moves of the first series with those on the second one makes a big sum!

In general not a lot of overlap between he two sets.

Aesopian said:
Does he show the reverse omoplata?

yeah man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_twis " :icon_twis :icon_twis :icon_twis

That's why I bought the videos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's really a nasty one!

Is that where you figure for the legs from side mount and roll towards their head?

Superbeast said:
Is that where you figure for the legs from side mount and roll towards their head?

Not from the side mount but from the "side-back"!

The reverse omoplata is setup from the crucifix (or thereabouts) when they are on fours.

It's one of my favorite moves, and I thought I saw it in one of the moves that flash by in the previews for Saulo's new set. I know Saulo got one on Levine in the Pro Am.

Tonight, I gave up rear mount with a body triangle and half of a choke just to take the reverse omoplata.

Like I said, it's a favorite.

So it's an americana from the crucifix (Gary Goodridge style, not catch wrestling neckcrank style) using your legs? So do you triangle your legs to trap their foerarm behind your knee?

No, it's like a kimura with the legs that can be setup from the crucifix (when they are on all fours, not rolled to your back like with Gary), but you finish it from reverse kesa gatame (or twister side control if you're so inclined) after some rolling.

It might be better named as "inverted omoplata". That name seems to make more sense to some people. It is "reverse" to the normal omoplata in that you end facing their legs with them on their back, while a normal omoplata ends with you facing their head with them on their stomach.

The arm should be trapped in the bend of the knee. But from experience, I've found you'll sometimes finish it with your legs figure-foured, but this is usually because they are escaping and you're trying to tighten it up quick. The figure-four usually makes it attacks the elbow directly instead of twisting the shoulder.

This photo will clear up how it is finished:

s15qf.jpg

Eduardo de Lima (the black belt doing the move) has his left elbow on the mat in their left armpit, with his chest pinning them down. He's basing with his right leg as he brings his left leg back to twist the arm and crank the shoulder. The motion with the legs is like you are doing a technical stand-up (bringing the bottom leg under your butt).

I got this photo from one of the old galleries on my BJJ school's site. I'm going to get with my instructor and see if he'll put together some photos of this move for a technique section on our site (along with some other moves from the crucifix).

Lagarto gets one in 101 Submission Volume 1, and Saulo gets one on Levine at the Pro Am (like I said before). Nino Schembri almost finished Margarita with a flying reverse omoplata when they fought. Gustavo Dantes shows it in his omoplata DVD as well, and even Roy Harris has it in his Takedowns from the Knees video. Jean Jacques shows it as his first attack against the turtle in his book Black Belt Techniques. Just the other day I found a 9 second clip of one on some school's website.

I've been experimenting with it a bit and I've found a few ways to set it up from twister side control and such, but none are as solid as setting it up from the crucifix. The positioning and angles are too weird otherwise.

There is a LOT more to the move than what I've explained her, and I still haven't even explained how you could go from the crucifix on knees to side control and get the lock (it's rather involved), but for that you'll just need to ask your instructor or wait until I get mine to put it online. ;)

I just wanted to clear up one thing that seems to confuse people when I talk about this move, and the crucifix in particular. I consider this position to be the crucifix even though he's still on his knees:

crucifixlegs1kx.jpg

He's trapping both arms (one with his legs, the other with his left arm) from behind, which are my criteria for what makes a crucifix (this even applies to the neck crank kind). From here, he can roll forward to take the standard crucifix position like this...

crucifixlegs20ef.jpg

The first photo shows the position where the reverse omoplata is usually setup. It often confuses people when I call this "the crucifix" since I'm still on my knees. Most people (rightfully, I'm sure) think of the crucifix as the position in the second photo.

You actually can setup the reverse omoplata from fours without trapping both of his arms, but it takes some great timing and leg placement (this is how Jean Jacques shows in his book), but I prefer to trap both arms to secure the position, then work the arm into place and then roll for the finish.

Thanks for the photos. Makes things much clearer for me to understand.

Nice , Thanks for the pics ... I'm waiting to recieve my set .

Back