Saturday Night Live axes Taran Killam and Jay Pharaoh

I stopped watching altogether a few years ago. It just got to the point where even the weekend update wasn't funny. I thought Strong did alright in that role, and then they replaced her with those two guys who were just so wooden and stiff. After that i just didn't enjoy the show. It would be cool if it made a comeback. I give the show credit for being on so long, must be tough creating a comedy show every week for such a long time.

i literally dont know a single person that watches this show. and i havent for at least 10 years.

thats sad because when i was a kid, it was the highlight of my week. nothing was better than the latest episode of mr. robinson's neighborhood

It's Beck Bennet not Bill Beckett. Not that it matters he'll probably still be in one sketch per show.
Gotcha. I almost didn't care enough to fix that.
you underestimate the impact samberg and the lonely island had on snl he carried the show after robert smigel and his cartoons left. his digital shorts were a big deal.
You'll get no argument from me there, and Samberg's digital shorts did really well, but at the same time...long-term, I don't think it has had a positive effect. It's not even "Saturday Night Live" anymore, really. That foundation of the show which always made it so unique in the sea of taped sketch comedy is no more.
Did they axe them, or did those two voluntarily just move on. It's hard to imagine them axing Killan. He is clearly one of their bests and they use him in 2-3 skits every episode.

Jay Pharoah has moments, but there are only so many skits that call for Denzel Washington impersonations.

And Keenan Thhompson, how is he not cut? Since he has been on the show, I think I've maybe laughed at one of his bits on two occasions.
Uproxx did an interview where Killam expressed surprise and dismay upon learning that his contract wasn't renewed. Apparently he is directing a comedy right now with Schwarzenegger in it.

Killam is the real deal...there's some solid talent on SNL at the moment.

Not sure why so many on this board hate on SNL.

How many can watch the sketches below, and still say SNL isn't legit!?

That's 18 minutes of my life wasted. I haven't watched SNL for a while. I heard it had really gone downhill but if those were examples of good skits, the show is worse than I've heard. I have seen the Bernie Sanders skits on news outlets and they were humorous but the three examples here are pathetic. Does bad = funny these days?

This. I've stopped by once a year to check out a skit or two and was blown away by how terrible and groan worthy they are. Almost like a parody level towards not funny if that makes sense. Or I guess I should say purposely not funny?

I remember one time sitting through almost a whole show, because the first skit was so bad I thought it was a fluke bad one, so I stayed tuned in to see, and sure eniugh- yikes, effing terrible.

In the early days, the opening skit was usually the best one so when the opening started sucking, I stopped watching.

Who??? Show sucks and haven't watched it since the 90s. Surprised that shit is still airing.

Back in the 90's everyone was like "That shit hasn't been any good since the 70's with Chevy Chase, Billy Murray etc".

you could sit and watch this show and not laugh even once.

It's been like this since the 90s.

That's 18 minutes of my life wasted. I haven't watched SNL for a while. I heard it had really gone downhill but if those were examples of good skits, the show is worse than I've heard. I have seen the Bernie Sanders skits on news outlets and they were humorous but the three examples here are pathetic. Does bad = funny these days?
You have terrible taste in comedy if you don't think McKinnon slayed that alien abduction skit.

Taran Killam already won though:

cobie-smulders-300.jpg

Quit being a drama queen. Sorry to waste your time. I'll link in some cartoons next time, son.

You have terrible taste in comedy if you don't think McKinnon slayed that alien abduction skit.

That skit had the potential to be funny but it was terrible writing and acting.

If they get some unbalanced convicted criminals on there, I might watch.
But they'll probably just pick of a few random snotty people at starbucks as replacements.

They're really committed to rebooting their cast. They almost completely jettisoned every lingering longtime member of their great post-20th century cast from 2012-2014 (the first diaspora took place from 2006-2008).
These were two of the only remaining members who I thought were good. Killam is easily the best facial actor on staff, and the best male comedian. My best guess is that he couldn't hack a Trump impersonation. Pharaoh was the most versatile.

Taran Killam (2010-2016)
09_tarankillam.w529.h529.jpg

Jay Pharaoh (2010-2016)
Jay+Pharoah+Intramural+Premiere+2014+Tribeca+TI6KU-gbXv3l.jpg

The last man standing is Bobby Moynihan who joined in 2008 before Hall of Famers like Darrell Hammond, Amy Poehler, Kristen Wiig, Will Forte, and Andy Samberg dipped out in the first diaspora (maybe Samberg not so much for his SNL work...but he does have "Dick in a Box"). So at least there will still be some more "drunk racist uncle" as a silver lining.

Bobby Moynihan (2008-Present)
latest

*Edit* Bullitt reminds me that Kenan Thompson is still an active, and the longest reigning cast member on the show.

Kenan Thompson (2003-Present)

KenanThompson.jpg

Even the core of the "new" breed of female comics who are a bit more seasoned and overlapped with other cast greats are themselves only four in number: enough for a coven, I suppose. That would be Vanessa Bayer (2010-), and Kate McKinnon, Cecily Strong, and Aidy Bryant (all 2012-). So most only worked 1-2 years with heavy hitters like Jason Sudeikis, Bill Hader, Fred Armisen, Seth Myers, and Nasim Pedrad.

IMO: Moynihan, Strong, and McKinnon are all genuinely talented performers with some great characters and skits under their belts. Bryant and Bayer aren't star standouts, but they are really strong at filling out skits in supporting roles. Thompson is a prolific writer. I'd opine that McKinnon is easily the best of their remaining cast. Killam was her only rival on the show. Strong is good, but they already ripped the Weekend Update away from her. I'm a little surprised she escaped the guillotine that took Killam and Pharaoh. Stab in the dark is her sex appeal. She's easily the most attractive cast member.

The other 8 newbie cast members are pretty much complete unknowns except for Leslie Jones, who is more famous for flare-ups on Twitter with Breitbart than anything she's ever done in terms of comedy (including Ghostbusters itself) and Bill Beckett who you probably recognize from his famously deadpanned AT&T commercials:

Beck Bennett (2013-present)

BeckFinal_DE.jpg

Michael Che is modestly famous for being the most disappointing Daily Show correspondent in history. Given, none of these eight have been there more than 3 seasons, tops, but I can't think of a single SNL skit from any of them that has trended or gone viral. I also can't think of a single skit with any of them I've caught late on a Saturday night that wasn't boring, unmemorable, or downright groan-worthy.

A few years ago I made a bleak thread when the second exodus of the great late-90's-to-early-00's cast was completed. That prophecy appears to me to have been fulfilled even more bleakly than it was forecast. Now Lorne seems to be prematurely chopping off two of their only surviving talented content creators in pursuit of....well, I'm not sure.

But whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be working.

I enjoyed this post, even though I didn't read it.

Paroah was great hosting Weekend Update
He had some funny characters on that segment. His rapper impressions were great he really pulled off the funy narcissist kanye.

Never watched SNL

How amazing would it be if Killian was like 'SNL ... I'll be back' and then some guy was like 'Only on reruns'?

I respect WWE's current theatrical talent far more than any era of SNL's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back