Satoshi Ishii Needs to Hang 'Em Up

Over dramatic much? The guy is making big money and it's not like he's getting brutalized left and right. Even last night's KO was really a TKO. The high kick clipped him, he staggered, Mirko swarmed with punches and Ishii turned into the ropes.

I don't understand people's obsession on this website with telling a guy to quit his job. Is Ishii a flop as far as expectations go? Yeah. Is he fighting in the wrong weight class? Probably. Can he squeeze out a few more years of paydays? You bet.

Not sure how it is over dramatic.

When you're getting KO'd or TKO'd by a fighter who is a good eight years past his prime and a shell of his former self, telegraphing his attacks and you have shown zero improvement in anything in any facet of the game while you've been at the sport for a good five years --- yeah, you should probably consider doing something else with your life.

He looked awful against Fujita last NYE as well. Another fighter in his 40's.

Ishii would be better off in pro wrestling.

I remember when Ishii was top 5.

O wait that was fedor fans talking up the win.. Never could understand the hype with Ishii lol

Improvement = impossible. Especially at heavyweight, where the age cutoff's in your 20's. Another guy who should retire is this Alexey Oleinik guy. I mean, it's 2012, and he's 2-4 in his last six fights, with three knockout losses and a decision loss to freakin' Jeff Monson. He's never gonna make it to the top-15 of heavyweight at his age, and if he's lost against Neil Grove there's no way he's gonna beat even someone like Cro Cop. He won't even beat Jeff Monson in a rematch. Yeah, Oleinik should also hang 'em up.

Also, if there's any problems Ishii's having, it's not with his weight. He's a very strong, trim 240. If Ishii's supposed to drop down to 205, Cro Cop and Kongo are also probably fighters that have to drop to 205.

ishii-mirko3.jpg

This post is confusing me.

Fixed that part for you.

It's not 2006 anymore.

Ishii has pedigree, but not the heart. He's no Yoshida and doesn't have the guts of less heralded judoka's like Takimoto or Nakamura. He's closer to the Ogawa and Min-Soo Kim group. He's trained with some great names and has basically made no improvements since his debut. He's on the washout watch list.

Improvement = impossible. Especially at heavyweight, where the age cutoff's in your 20's. Another guy who should retire is this Alexey Oleinik guy. I mean, it's 2012, and he's 2-4 in his last six fights, with three knockout losses and a decision loss to freakin' Jeff Monson. He's never gonna make it to the top-15 of heavyweight at his age, and if he's lost against Neil Grove there's no way he's gonna beat even someone like Cro Cop. He won't even beat Jeff Monson in a rematch. Yeah, Oleinik should also hang 'em up.

Also, if there's any problems Ishii's having, it's not with his weight. He's a very strong, trim 240. If Ishii's supposed to drop down to 205, Cro Cop and Kongo are also probably fighters that have to drop to 205.

ishii-mirko3.jpg
pretty much this, in reverse, without the sarcasm.

he is very young for a heavyweight, he can still improve, he can still play a lot of cards like going down to LHW or getting muscled up like Crocop.

if you watched the whole fight you can see that he didn't get smoked by Crocop, it was the classic grappler versus striker matchup, very even, i think he can do a lot better fighting in the cage, it fit his style.
also the main reason why he got finished by Crocop was his cardio, he gassed bad at the end, but that is also a thing you can improve.

Last edited:
I don't think he needs to retire, but I think the talk of him being an elite prospect are done. He makes pretty good pay to beat low-level guys and go 50/50 against the aging legends, and I think he'll be perfectly happy to continue at that level.

He should have trained in America, fought for the UFC early on (like he had the chance to do) and fought at light heavyweight. Then i think he could have had a half decent career.

O wait that was fedor fans talking up the win.. Never could understand the hype with Ishii lol

No one said that, stop making shit up.

There's always going to be hype around Olympians entering MMA. Some of it will be deserved, some not so much.

Back