Sara McMann awful takedowns sum up WMMA. Olympic wrestling silver meadalist

McMann was a silver medalist in Olympic wrestling yet is struggling in MMA. Rousey was a bronze medalist in Olympic judo and is dominant in MMA.

The premise of your thread makes no sense.

Yea how did DC do against Jon Jones who didn't even wrestle division 1?!! Jones wrecked him and took him down at will.

Make a thread about that.

Exactly. Go back to your cave troll

I will say it's alarming noting that Sara is an Olympic silver medalist but can hardly hit a takedown, however as someone already mentioned Mark Munoz is a very good wrestler that had a hard time transitioning his wrestling skills to MMA yet he's coaching a lot of high level MMA fighters in wrestling. Sometimes your skills don't translate perfectly in a fight, and it's down to the person to either adjust or fall into oblivion.

Exactly. I've started a few threads noting how different MMA wrestling is from any of the major sport wrestling styles, and got inundated by uninformed posters arguing that better wrestling pedigree = better MMA takedowns and ground control.

Chael and many others have talked about how different it is to apply pure wrestling techniques and how a lot of sport wrestling is useless in MMA. On the ground, I'd argue that folkstyle is the only wrestling style that even translates at all. Freestyle and Greco, you basically have to throw out your entire competition groundgame, since those styles don't reward ground control, riding or setting up GnP, so you have to learn the MMA groundgame from scratch.

Yes, I know McMann also has a folkstyle background, which makes Tate outscrambling her on the ground even more impressive.

Yea how did DC do against Jon Jones who didn't even wrestle division 1?!! Jones wrecked him and took him down at will.

Make a thread about that.

Exactly. Go back to your cave troll

Jones is probably the greatest fighter to ever fought in the UFC and Sara Mcmann is fighting Sheila Gaff and Shayna Baszler. So don't go comparing the competition.

Jones is probably the greatest fighter to ever fought in the UFC and Sara Mcmann is fighting Sheila Gaff and Shayna Baszler. So don't go comparing the competition.

Exactly you goof with your double standards when facts are thrown in your face. I'll compare all day. First off McMann didn't lose to Gaff or Shayna. But DC not only lost to Jones but he got OUTWRESTLED. DC is an Olympic Wrestler, Jon Jones wrestled at a community college!!! After talking all that jazz about taking Jones down DC got outwrestled by a JR College wrestler. Those are the facts.

Seriously? She major decisioned a male D1 wrestler at the same weight class? I've always acknowledged her wrestling credentials but if she did that, she's a true phenom.

That was back when Jamar Bilman coached her. The kid stormed out of the building afterward. She got roughed up next round like a man by Penn State AA Scott Moore.

And the saddest part is Freestyle wrestling's greatest emphasize is explosive takedowns and movements. No one wants to stay on the mat in freestyle because you can basically beat yourself with the scoring rules which are very different than folkstyle. McMann's takedowns are pretty much the best part of her wrestling game while her mat skills are pretty awful, and it showed in her last fight. She couldn't even perform a proper mat return or maintain position after she had her opponents back.

She just flopped like a limp fish while holding onto her opponents belly using her body weight to drag her down and once they were back on the mat McMann just fell off and let her opponent stand right back up.

McMann would have been better off letting her go the first time she stood up. she wasted more energy than her opponent in that sequence.

Also she got pummeled by Lauren Murphy despite being on top the whole fight. She had alright take downs(against a soccer mom who started mma to get her kids to do something physical), but she had no idea what to do after she gets a person down no sense of how to control an opponents movement.

That was back when Jamar Bilman coached her. The kid stormed out of the building afterward. She got roughed up next round like a man by Penn State AA Scott Moore.

I'll bet he did. Wrestling is hard enough as it is. Lose to a girl, and you're a laughing stock. Harsh, but true.

Wrestling is more than just blast doubles. Sometimes the person's game doesn't translate well to MMA; it comes down to being a great fighter. I don't think McMann is a great fighter. She is a proven great wrestler though.

Damn, that's impressive. It sucks to make a guy compete against a woman in a tournament setting though, puts him in a no win position and might be (even subconsciously) less willing to rough her up like he would another man.

If a woman had outpointed me when I was competing, I don't know if it would have pissed me off or turned me on and made me want to have her kids.

Last edited:
She would still whip your ass in a wrestling match single handedly.

She is a very good high level wrestler. There have been shit MMA wrestlers who have competed at very high level. NCAA champ Munoz first comes to mind and Romero wasn't really taking anyone down before Taverez fight in his fights in UFC either.

What are you talking about?
Munoz was a great wrestler; he only struggled against very high level opponents. Remember how he handled Boetsch?

Exactly you goof with your double standards when facts are thrown in your face. I'll compare all day. First off McMann didn't lose to Gaff or Shayna. But DC not only lost to Jones but he got OUTWRESTLED. DC is an Olympic Wrestler, Jon Jones wrestled at a community college!!! After talking all that jazz about taking Jones down DC got outwrestled by a JR College wrestler. Those are the facts.

The thing is Olympic wrestling is a different style than american collegiate folkstyle.

Similar in many ways but with very different scoring rules that vastly change the tactics of the match.

Jones only wrestled folkstyle with emphasis controlling your opponent, mat work, and allows you to perform several takedowns, returns, reversals that would pin yourself in freestyle.

DC while having a folkstyle background spent a decade perfecting his game for international competition.

Its pretty clear Freestyle isn't as effective in MMA because even guys like Yoel with explosive TDs have showcased weaknesses from his freestyle mindset. Yoel is doing better but there were points he was exchanging TDs and standups with guys much less skilled them him In his mind he probably never considered what to do in positions you'd never find yourself in a freestyle match.

Greco is even a stranger beast as the ground work in that sport consists of more or less turning oneself into a log until its time for a stand up. Although Greco has a lot more clinch work than other styles.

In summary a guy with a great folkstyle game probably has a better all around skill set than a Olympic freestyle wrestler, and might beat him under a rule set to his advantage, but the freestyle wrestler probably has a few skills he is amazing at that are more important to his sport and would win under his rules.

I'd say folkstyle is closer to mma grappling than either international style, but still not 100% analogous.

Her wrestling in freestyle was amazing. That being said, I almost feel like its better to not be an olympic level athlete for wrestling, just because that usually means you had to spend the bulk of your career(including prime) in a dif sport, and also have had more time learning the super intricate parts that aren't usefull for MMA. Obviously a wrestling background is amazing, but the guys with the best MMA wresting are usually either young, or multisport athletes at a high level.

What are you talking about?
Munoz was a great wrestler; he only struggled against very high level opponents. Remember how he handled Boetsch?

Great is not an adjective that I would ever associate with Munoz in MMA. Well, he did make Hamil look like Crocop. That was great.

Sara McMann doesn't sum up anything about "WMMA". She's just not a good MMA fighter.

My God I was just watching some Sara McMann fights on Fightpass and this girl is suppose to be and claims to be a an Olympic wrestler. She is the first American woman in history to receive a silver medal in Olympic wrestling.

Well thats nice because she has no clue how to do a takedown, its embarrassing to watch. This just sums up womens MMA, Silver medal wrestler but actually can't take anyone down and takedowns always stuffed and the shots are so slow and amateurish, like a kid falling on your legs while your standing watching it.

Sorry but you just can't take it seriously, Ronda is skillful but the comp is amateur and probably lower than that. Holm will be the next hype KO power, when her fights in UFC went to split decision and unanimous decision and her power was not even close to nothing. UFC Hype machine Zzzzzz

Jesus.

In that case, all the sloppy shots I've seen male collegiate championship wrestlers do must sum up men's MMA as amateurish, too. One of first things you're taught is to change levels, then step in for the takedown, NOT to fall diagonally into your opponents legs, which I see guys do ALLLLL the time.

When you're being punched in the face, or are even under threat of being hit, technique can go out the window. It happens, no matter what fucking gender you are.

I can't stand how critics point out any flaws the women make, even when you see guys doing the same ones all the time.

I will say it's alarming noting that Sara is an Olympic silver medalist but can hardly hit a takedown, however as someone already mentioned Mark Munoz is a very good wrestler that had a hard time transitioning his wrestling skills to MMA yet he's coaching a lot of high level MMA fighters in wrestling. Sometimes your skills don't translate perfectly in a fight, and it's down to the person to either adjust or fall into oblivion.

It's not that shocking. Freestyle wrestlers come with countless different styles. If you're a person that sets up takedowns with a lot of hand fighting and bulling forward with your head (which is a pretty common style of wrestling), then you're going to need to change things dramatically before you're going to translate your skills to MMA. I haven't seen a ton of McMann's wrestling, but from what I have seen, this does seem to be the way she wrestles.

Wrestlers who use speed and power to shoot from the outside, or who use strength and leverage to clinch up and score takedowns from there, are going to have a much easier transition.

Back