Santa Cruz vs. Mares - AUG. 29/2015 Fight Thread

Fell asleep in the 11th round. Long day, entertaining fight, clear winner

Fight went pretty much spot on to my prediction. Hell of an effort by Mares, LSC just had more ways and skill.

FOTY for me so far.

Mares constant holding prevented what could have been an even better fight.

I was among those slightly let down with the fight. I expected more from Mares. I thought he held too much because he couldnt keep up with the pace of Cruz.

Honestly Marco Huck vs Krzysztof Glowacki or Amir Khan vs Chris Algeri is fight of the year so far

Fight went pretty much spot on to my prediction. Hell of an effort by Mares, LSC just had more ways and skill.

FOTY for me so far.

While I think LSC getting the W was all on the up and up, I can't agree that LSC seemed like the more skilled fighter. Honestly, I thought mares showed more versatility.

LSC just does the same shit over and over until it finally works, sort of like Margarito with no power. Yeah, he boxed a little late in the fight but Mares was pretty gassed and had slowed down quite a bit.

He's a tough kid with a good workrate, I don't see a whole lot more.

Mares constant holding prevented what could have been an even better fight.

It did, but the guy was trying to find a way. Dont like it but it happens.

While I think LSC getting the W was all on the up and up, I can't agree that LSC seemed like the more skilled fighter. Honestly, I thought mares showed more versatility.

LSC just does the same shit over and over until it finally works, sort of like Margarito with no power. Yeah, he boxed a little late in the fight but Mares was pretty gassed and had slowed down quite a bit.

I didnt see Mares adjust during the fight outside of trying to hold him. LSC really got that jab going it was nice.

I was among those slightly let down with the fight. I expected more from Mares. I thought he held too much because he couldnt keep up with the pace of Cruz.

Honestly Marco Huck vs Krzysztof Glowacki or Amir Khan vs Chris Algeri is fight of the year so far

I have to take my previous comment back, completely forget about Huck/Glowacki.

Yeah, but he's a really tough kid, with a really good workrate. If you thought Mares looked like the more versatile guy, why do you think that Leo was able to win? Do you think it was mostly just his gas tank being superior? I thought Leo was winning early rounds too, so I don't think that's the case.

It seemed like no matter what Mares tried, Leo got the better of him by a little bit. He went in thinking he could manhandle Leo, and it didn't really work. So he boxed, and it didn't really work either. I though Leo was landing the cleaner shots throughout the fight (for the most part, Mares had moments).

I'd watch of course, but in a rematch, I think Leo would win even more decisively. That fight was Mares' best chance to catch Leo off-guard or unprepared in a major step-up fight.

Yeah, but he's a really tough kid, with a really good workrate. If you thought Mares looked like the more versatile guy, why do you think that Leo was able to win? Do you think it was mostly just his gas tank being superior? I thought Leo was winning early rounds too, so I don't think that's the case.

Tenacity basically. He just didn't get discouraged when Mares was taking it to him and kept doing his thing. As Mares got less and less effective inthe mid/late rounds, his style started to work.

I don't think he ever visibly hurt Mares or even really discouraged him. Mares just didn't have the same ability to fight for all 12 as LSC.

Tenacity basically. He just didn't get discouraged when Mares was taking it to him and kept doing his thing. As Mares got less and less effective inthe mid/late rounds, his style started to work.

I don't think he ever visibly hurt Mares or even really discouraged him. Mares just didn't have the same ability to fight for all 12 as LSC.

I'm actually surprised that neither one of them got seriously hurt at any point. They both landed plenty of flush shots.

It will be interesting to see if LSC can continue this pace/tenacity as he experiences more wars over the next couple years.

Santa Cruz-Mares dubbed an instant classic by ESPN and will be replayed Tuesday on ESPN2 9pm E.T

I mostly agree and I don't think his ceiling is that high. Having said that, a tough guy who throws over 1000 punches and is relatively big for the weight is not an easy night for most anyone in that division. He'll be a fixture going forward even if he isn't the best of the best.

I'm actually surprised that neither one of them got seriously hurt at any point. They both landed plenty of flush shots.

Yup, me too. I found a really good quality version on YT today and work and rewatched. This is my second and a half viewing (first being I fell asleep during the broadcast), and the second being a mediocre quality version.

Also upon this viewing, I agree that there have been better fights this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back