Sanchez vs. Gomi

Westmaas

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
This is a great fight that could've probably headlined the UFC Japan card, if it wasn't so stacked to begin with! It'll be great to see Diego back at lightweight, where he'll be able to use his size + wrestling to his advantage.

My question is, if Sanchez defeats Gomi, who do you see him being lined up against afterward? If he looks impressive in victory, he may theoretically propel himself straight into the upper tier mix, due to his name recognition - and therefore be matched up against some contenders.

I can see him getting the loser of Cerrone/Pettis, or possibly even Alvarez if he ends up coming over.

Sanchez will beat Gomi and he'll be matched up with decent names that have the potential to be exciting. Diego is far away from a title shot, however.

its been announced for a while, its on the poster duder

Sanchez matchups will be mainly fights that looks fun on paper untill he gets 2-3 wins

Varner, Cerrone if he loses, Lauzon, Guillard if he can get a W
though welcoming Alvarez wouldn't surprise me

Gomi LW champ 2013

Ya not really. A man can dream

its been announced for a while, its on the poster duder

If he wins I see him mathing up with a back end of top ten or someone higher profile on a one or so win, Varner would be perfect

though as a wild card I could see him welcoming Alvarez

Actually yeah, Varner would be a good one.

Ugh.... unless Gomi turned it around big time and stopped being so bleh about training..... Sanchez will control and submit him.

Gomi's either gonna catch him with a bomb and KO him or get put on the cage and the floor and just grinded on. I kind of want Gomi to win, and I'm not even a Pride guy. Just never cared much for Sanchez. He's creepy.

I stand corrected.

Edit: And I got Sanchez by decision, even though I want Gomi to win.

I can see Sanchez weathering a few huge punches in the early going, and then capitalizing on a gassed Gomi in the 2nd & 3rd rounds to win by decision or catch him with a rear naked.

I see Diego grinding him out and subbing him.

Both of their chins are pretty ridiculous, so a KO is unlikely, but Diego has the cardio edge......by a wide margin.

The fight is being taken place in Japan in Gomi territory if anything the Japanese fighter is going to have the advantage. Not only does Sanchez has to go about cutting weight but he has to deal with the time difference too.

Gomi as of lately has looked quite impressive, he is quicker and more agile and has better scrambles to get back up his feet in case he is taken down. I don't think cardio is an issue for him any longer the guy has been training very hard to get better.

I can only see this Sanchez has to hope he can LnP his way to victory because no way is he going to be able to stand and bang with a Gomi that would be dumb and stupid. No matter how hard his head is Gomi would take it off in given time due to better combinations

The fight is being taken place in Japan in Gomi territory if anything the Japanese fighter is going to have the advantage. Not only does Sanchez has to go about cutting weight but he has to deal with the time difference.

Gomi as of lately has looked quite impressive, he is quicker and more agile and has better scrambles to get back up his feet in case he is taken down. I don't think cardio is an issue for him any longer the guy has been training very hard to get better.

I can only see this Sanchez has to hope he can LnP his way to victory because no way is he going to be able to stand and bang with a Gomi that would be dumb and stupid. No matter how hard his head his Gomi would take it off in given time.

I do agree a lot of Japanese fighters look a lot better when fighting in Japan due to not having to travel but I doubt that will be enough for Gomi in this one

I'd be shocked if the fight ended any other way than Sanchez grinding him out a win over Gomi.

I want a Gomi win so bad, but in my heart of hearts I'd not be suprised if Diego got the W. To answer TS's question, I think Joe Silva would match him up against either Nate or Lauzon. Either is a great fight but I still hope Gomi knocks him the fuck out.

Back