salt bath

wrassle

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Im interested in this method of cutting weight. From what I have gathered is you fill tub with water as hot as you can get add a bag of epsom salt and 3 16 oz bottles of winter green alachol for 15-20 min at a time, out 5 mins cover yourself up with towels then repeat for about 3 sets. But what if the water starts to get cold? Do you have to keep adding in hotter water if it gets warm seems after the first 20 mins it would go luke warm it wont work after the first set or so right unless you add hotter water to the tub?

The heat makes you sweat, obviously.

I've never tried a salt bath, so i cant tell you how long it stays warm, but i would imagine that if it began to decrease in temperature, you would need to add more hot water.

Bath salts help your [human] protein consumption, that's it.

There's only two healthy ways to lose weight: Lose water or lose fat. This sounds like a lose water plan. Meaning if you drink some water... you'll be heavy again. Instead of this elaborate plan, try a sauna to lose water weight. It's a lot cheaper and easier. Not to mention this will probably wreak havoc on your skin.

Bath salts help your [human] protein consumption, that's it.

There's only two healthy ways to lose weight: Lose water or lose fat. This sounds like a lose water plan. Meaning if you drink some water... you'll be heavy again. Instead of this elaborate plan, try a sauna to lose water weight. It's a lot cheaper and easier. Not to mention this will probably wreak havoc on your skin.

I really disagree with this answer and think you're totally wrong.

The idea that losing water is one of only two healthy approaches to cutting weight is silly, especially recommending a sauna to achieve this. The use of a sauna is dated, too many guys had a poor performance, due to the excessive de-hydration. But more importantly history dictates this can be a very dangerous and potentially life threatening method if done incorrectly.

There are guys who have mastered the sauna, but for an online forum, I wouldn't recommend guys doing it unless they have the guidance of someone who has a successful history of weight cutting through this method.

The idea of a salt bath is to lose weight, the salt is there to help encourage the additional water loss as sodium bonds to water, therefore drawing it out of the body. It is a quick fix solution if you are needing to cut weight fast and has some advocacy from a few fighters. In addition, I believe you don't need the bath to be too warm, that's the benefit as it is a more gentle water loss process.

As I said at the start though, there are other and more successful approaches. The way a diet is controlled is fundamental as you can dramatically lose and regain weight safely and controlled.

Last edited:
yeah salt bath feels alot better than sauna i tried a salt bath last night, but after the first 20 mins the water in my tub got luke warm, and wasnt hot to me. I ran out of hot water so kept trying to boil water on the stove to add to it, but still didnt make it hot enough. I was wondering if its wasting your time if it gets to cooled off? Guess youll need a good source of hot water to get it to work properly to cut say 5-7 pounds in an hour.

yeah salt bath feels alot better than sauna i tried a salt bath last night, but after the first 20 mins the water in my tub got luke warm, and wasnt hot to me. I ran out of hot water so kept trying to boil water on the stove to add to it, but still didnt make it hot enough. I was wondering if its wasting your time if it gets to cooled off? Guess youll need a good source of hot water to get it to work properly to cut say 5-7 pounds in an hour.

the salt (magnesium sulfate) and wintergreen alcohol (isopropyl) work by wicking subcutaneous moisture out of you. It should still work if it cools off a little. I am not sure if it would be better to dilute it to warm it up, or just keep the ingredient full strength. Maybe you can do both and keep good track of the time and see which works better for you.

The alcohol & salt are to numb the pain from the hot ass water, you can do the same without it.

when Im cutting for a fight I jump in the bath empty and let it fill up around me(i find I can have it much hotter using this method) usually drop 2kg in under 45 mins, with no salts or alcohols, i finds its far easier than a sauna

Salt baths are great, but IMO for relaxation and skin care.

If you want to lose weight, eat better and exercise more.

I used an Epsom salt bath last week to cut 5 pounds in about 45 minutes to an hour. I didn bother with reheating the water, the air in the bathroom was hot as a sauna anyways lol. I kept a cold glass of water by the tub and drank regularly to prevent overheating and dehydration and still cut a full 5 pounds. The Epsom salt also made my skin and joints feel much better.

I used an Epsom salt bath last week to cut 5 pounds in about 45 minutes to an hour. I didn bother with reheating the water, the air in the bathroom was hot as a sauna anyways lol. I kept a cold glass of water by the tub and drank regularly to prevent overheating and dehydration and still cut a full 5 pounds. The Epsom salt also made my skin and joints feel much better.

So no alcohol huh how hot was the water when you first got in? really hot? and how much epsom salt did you use?

I sat in it as it filled up and kept turning up the heat as much as I could stand. By the time I turned it of it was just hot water running and my water heater works pretty good. I didn measure the salt really but it was somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of a 2 pound bag. This was the first time I've used this exact method so I don't have it locked down yet but it's promising so far.

Back