Salary affecting quality of judging?

Mavant

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Judging has always been inconsistent in MMA. I wonder if a big reason why the quality is not improving is due to the compensation. They are paid by the event and not by the hour. The compensation for the Fox 5 event was $75-150 according to the Washington State Athletic commission.

So if you are a rookie judge getting paid $75 total for 6 hours of work...doesn't the expression "you get what you pay for" apply?

I'd be expecting a better standard of judging before they go looking for a pay rise.

That said, that is a joke of a pay grade. Don't know anyone that'd bother getting qualified to earn $75-100 for a full days work.

Higher salary would mean that Cecil Peoples could finally afford a pair of glasses, so yes...

It's a shame that they are paid so little

Paying 75-100 bucks someone who is gonna judge world championships and contender matches which outcomes will have huge consequences on the sport, martially and financially ???
I think rising the pay is the best way to ensure their professionnalism, and also avoid some suspicious decisions ( taking money from bookies ? )

That's way lower than I expected. That said, I think I'd still do it just to get better seats to the show.

How much do refs make?

Just let the audience judge.

That is a worse idea.

If somebody who is popular in their home town/country loses a fight to the person not from that area they will still get more cheers, regardless of the outcome of the fight itself.

75-150 really? Talk about an incentive for corruption. I'm sure absurd amounts of money ride on the outcome of these contests. Get a family member or friend to make some bets and you're in the money. Forget the pennies the commission pays.

If they did that, you could lose 4 rounds and still win the fight if you had a dominant performance in the last. Most people can't score rounds independently. Also home town/ home country advantage would be huge.

75-150 really? Talk about an incentive for corruption. I'm sure absurd amounts of money ride on the outcome of these contests. Get a family member or friend to make some bets and you're in the money. Forget the pennies the commission pays.

good point.

I'll do it for free but quality would be shit, Shogun and Bj would of both won saturday

Great idea... they could have a website or phone app running where viewers send in their score at the end of each round. When the fight finishes, bam! you have your winner, as decided by we, the people.

There's no way that could go wrong. I'm off to tweet Dana... even though he doesn't run the athletic commission, I reckon he could pay them off and get this through.

That is a worse idea.

If somebody who is popular in their home town/country loses a fight to the person not from that area they will still get more cheers, regardless of the outcome of the fight itself.

If they did that, you could lose 4 rounds and still win the fight if you had a dominant performance in the last. Most people can't score rounds independently. Also home town/ home country advantage would be huge.

tumblr_mclbyr307k1rxfo1ho3_500.gif

How much would they have to pay for someone morally bankrupt enough to fix a fight to make it unattractive to such a person? Surely more than what is reasonable.
Not to mention, you'd need two out of three judges to be working together to make sure. Also, what if the underdog you're going to fix the fight for after mortgaging your house a second time gets finished? Sounds like a really bad idea all around.

Back