Safe Way to Break Sleeve Grips?

Edmundus

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Tonight I was rolling with a blue belt; while in her guard I would rotate my hands to break her sleeve grips before attempting to pass. Unfortunately, doing this caused her fingers to get caught in my gi, and we had to stop the roll a few times because of it.

Does anyone have any advice to spare on how to safely break grips? I was thinking perhaps I should pull my arm back with a little hand rotation rather than just rotating constantly, but I'm not sure.

Many thanks.

That's the best way IMO. But maybe since it's rolling slow it down. She's gotta learn to let go lol

Was her fingers/thumb inside your sleeves?

No, but when I rotated my hand the outside of my sleeve would wrap around her fingers.

I was actually doing this pretty slowly; but I guess if there's no discomfort then just rotation alone might not break the grip, and by the time there IS discomfort it's already too late, so perhaps I may need to pull my arms back more as I'm doing this.

I'm still not completely sure though, this hasn't happened before.

No, but when I rotated my hand the outside of my sleeve would wrap around her fingers.

I was actually doing this pretty slowly; but I guess if there's no discomfort then just rotation alone might not break the grip, and by the time there IS discomfort it's already too late, so perhaps I may need to pull my arms back more as I'm doing this.

I'm still not completely sure though, this hasn't happened before.

same with me, I grab the outside of the sleeves and my fingers would get caught in the rotation.

It is just a bad habit. Maybe pistol grip would avoid it.

my fingers joints i.e DIP joints are all blown up due to excessive sleeve controls.

that is a safe way. if some one is constantly getting their fingers caught in a rotation, they need to learn when to let go. I am ALWAYS using that grip, and I will either let my fingers get mashed if I feel confident in what I am pursuing, or I will let go as soon as I feel that tention and re-grab.

Back