Saenchai offers his thoughts on McGregor's technique

slipleft

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

Nothing shocking, but an interesting interview nonetheless. While Saenchai is surely hyping his potential shift toward MMA, his brief analysis seems spot on.

Cliffs:
- McGregor's key strengths are the speed and accuracy of his punching
- McGregor also has good agility but weak kicks (this may be the most controversial of Saenchai's comments due to the many on this forum who are infatuated with McGregor's kicks)
- McGregor's past comments disparaging Muay Thai as "flat footed" are hollow because McGregor has never trained with our competed against a real Muay Thai fighter
- Saenchai has never competed against a fighter with accuracy equal to McGregor's
- Saenchai favors RDA over McGregor as a more complete fighter with better kicks, power, and grappling

weak kicks, thats obvious. ive seen some people in this very forum talked about hes the best kicker in the game, when we got people like pettis and barboza, and a lot others

It wasa great analysis. He really gives Conor credit for timing and accuracy. 300 fights nd never seen as good as Conor.

Conors kicks are way overvalued on here.

Conor is, in many ways, like Chuck Liddell - a strong chin with tdd and a real belief in his ability to counter with his power hand. He'll eat shots happily looking to land that thing.

2 champions in one night, that would be something awesome to see one day in the ufc

who will have the balls to do that?

Conors kicks are a style over substance (unless he's trying to drain a gas tank) but I wouldn't bet against him finishing a fight with a kick.

Good analysis. Conor's kicks are mostly used as a decoy anyway, to throw his opponents off the scent of his left hand so he can crack them with it. His body kicks against Mendes were very good though, and effective.

I also think Conor sleeps RDA when that fight happens.

First of all, does no one understand the use of his kicks aren't for kicking? They're resetting advancing opponents, calculating distance and setting up punches.

The only time he's extensively used kicks for direct damage was against Mendes, and it worked great.

I don't recall ever seeing or hearing someone call him the best kicker in MMA. I could be wrong though.

First of all, does no one understand the use of his kicks aren't for kicking? They're resetting advancing opponents, calculating distance and setting up punches.

The only time he's extensively used kicks for direct damage was against Mendes, and it worked great.

I don't recall ever seeing or hearing someone call him the best kicker in MMA. I could be wrong though.
no one saying its BAD, its just that its not anything great

oh yeah i heard, it was the faceplanter guy. aint gonna call him here cause it would just lead to an interminable discussion

Saenchai is just using McGregors name to get himself in the media, nobody has ever said McGregor has the best kicks in MMA.

well he should use those kicks against Diaz as he just stands there and eats kicks.

Interesting that he said McGregor would be an easy fight for him despite the size disadvantage.​

Relative to average MMA fighters, I agree that McGregor uses kicks well very to control tempo, distance, and timing. I also think McGregor's kicks will be effective against Diaz in this way.

From Saenchai's PoV, I'm inferring, McGregor's kicks would be very ineffective in doing so against Saehnchai himself or other great strikers.

Saenchai is just using McGregors name to get himself in the media, nobody has ever said McGregor has the best kicks in MMA.
Pretty sure Conor thinks he's up there.

Saenchai is within his rights to call BS on Conor as Conor seems to think he's revolutionising an art that Saenchai's culture have been developing for years.

Pretty sure Conor thinks he's up there.

Saenchai is within his rights to call BS on Conor as Conor seems to think he's revolutionising an art that Saenchai's culture have been developing for years.
Show me a video of Conor saying he's revolutionising the art of kicking. I'll save you the time, there isn't one. Saenchai using McGregors name to boost his profile, there's nothing wrong with that, but let's just call it as it is.

In boxing range, even elite muay thai fighters are in trouble

Back