Saenchai clinch fighting dvd

To me, this is what the striking world is missing. In grappling you have guys at the highest level breaking down their game and giving little tiny details that they use to make their techniques work at the highest levels. In striking you ALMOST never see that...and it sucks lol

Bjj fanatics def been stepping up their game lately into more wrestling and striking vids with high level guys in those fields. Really cool to see.

To me, this is what the striking world is missing. In grappling you have guys at the highest level breaking down their game and giving little tiny details that they use to make their techniques work at the highest levels. In striking you ALMOST never see that...and it sucks lol

the issue with striking is u really need a coach to correct mistakes

and mostly beginners are gonna by striking dvds when they really need to have a coach for at least a good solid year good thing tho is that guys now are putting out material

i hope they get a old school boxer to do a dvd like hopkins ect and bring some mma guys kinda funny how mma is so big yet no dvds out on it on here. sadly im sure well get tkd and karate /kung fu dvds before we get some decent mma

Seems interesting, I usually refrain from getting something like this from a big name for the sake of it but I think in many ways this is a lost art.

Striking coaches seem to be a lot more proprietary about what they do and how they do it. I can’t really say why, But boxing and kickboxing coaches seem to take a lot more ownership over their style, their students, and their curriculum. Maybe I’ve just never experienced it, but I have never seen jujitsu coaches get in a pissing match is within the same gym about who works with or trains certain athletes. On the contrary, I’ve seen that very thing happen A few times with striking coaches.

Striking coaches seem to be a lot more proprietary about what they do and how they do it. I can’t really say why, But boxing and kickboxing coaches seem to take a lot more ownership over their style, their students, and their curriculum. Maybe I’ve just never experienced it, but I have never seen jujitsu coaches get in a pissing match is within the same gym about who works with or trains certain athletes. On the contrary, I’ve seen that very thing happen A few times with striking coaches.

striking coaches seem to be more secretive with that they share and what they dont. The reason for it I think is people dont want to spill the beans, and teach someone something, only to have them run off. Also not to down play BJJ, but with BJJ, you insert flange A into flange B and twist, and the arm breaks or what not. Where as striking is like compared to shooting a basketball, teach a guy the shooting technique, great, that dont me hes gonna nail 3 pointers all day long. Teach the guy how to nail 3 pointers all day long, 2 months later he gym hops. Probably all shit you already know im sure.

Oh striking coaches and their pissing contests, that's another level of laughs.........

That's not how you do that!!!! You do it like this!!! When they can't actually explain why you do it like that.........when both methods are valid.

You're lucky to have striking coaches with a valid system, trouble is it's easier to be a striking charlatan than a grappling/submission charlatan.

striking coaches seem to be more secretive with that they share and what they dont. The reason for it I think is people dont want to spill the beans, and teach someone something, only to have them run off. Also not to down play BJJ, but with BJJ, you insert flange A into flange B and twist, and the arm breaks or what not. Where as striking is like compared to shooting a basketball, teach a guy the shooting technique, great, that dont me hes gonna nail 3 pointers all day long. Teach the guy how to nail 3 pointers all day long, 2 months later he gym hops. Probably all shit you already know im sure.
i think jits is just as detail oriented as striking, possibly more. A true master can show a bunch of minute details for simple movements that make them way more effective. They play chess, set traps, recognize and exploit patterns, they feint and play just like a good boxing or Muay Thai fight.
Oh striking coaches and their pissing contests, that's another level of laughs.........

That's not how you do that!!!! You do it like this!!! When they can't actually explain why you do it like that.........when both methods are valid.

You're lucky to have striking coaches with a valid system, trouble is it's easier to be a striking charlatan than a grappling/submission charlatan.
You’re right about the charlatan part for sure.

i think jits is just as detail oriented as striking, possibly more. A true master can show a bunch of minute details for simple movements that make them way more effective. They play chess, set traps, recognize and exploit patterns, they feint and play just like a good boxing or Muay Thai fight.

You’re right about the charlatan part for sure.

yeah i agree, i know the sport is complex, but i think its more about getting yourself into the correct position to execute a armbar for example, than it is, actually performing the armbar. You cant fake the mechanics of BJJ, as its essentially bending things the wrong way. Bend the arm this way, and it will break, you cant say, punch this way, and you will KO the guy. I roll with guys once in a while for fun, i can armbar, rear naked choke, kimura, triangle choke, heel lock, and thats about it. I always told myself I would take up BJJ when I stopped fighting but the sport has never interested me much despite its effectiveness. BJJ black belts are some dangerous guys, like straight gorillas. Grip n Rip.

yeah i agree, i know the sport is complex, but i think its more about getting yourself into the correct position to execute a armbar for example, than it is, actually performing the armbar. You cant fake the mechanics of BJJ, as its essentially bending things the wrong way. Bend the arm this way, and it will break, you cant say, punch this way, and you will KO the guy. I roll with guys once in a while for fun, i can armbar, rear naked choke, kimura, triangle choke, heel lock, and thats about it. I always told myself I would take up BJJ when I stopped fighting but the sport has never interested me much despite its effectiveness. BJJ black belts are some dangerous guys, like straight gorillas. Grip n Rip.

I agree with Dr. Taco. I think grappling is just as complex as striking. As far as breaking mechanics, some submissions are more simple than others but even armbars aren’t that easy to do against a bigger and stronger opponent. Things are easier against smaller opponents most of the time and even with suboptimal technique will work if you crank it hard enough against a smaller opponent. But this isn’t true for bigger guys and that’s where efficiency comes into play.

For example, a kimura just using your arms and twisting it in an inefficient path may not work against a bigger opponent, but using your entire body may. Of course if the bigger guy is so strong that his smaller muscles can over power your entire body, then if won’t work either. I remember working with a new white belt female in a rear naked choke. She couldn’t do it on me and I could figure out why. I could always do it on people and it was because my technique was not optimal but I got away with it because I was normally bigger than most of my training partners. I later learned the trick of utilizing my back to make it stronger.

I think Gracie jiu jitsu on Helio’s side focuses more on the basics and bio mechanical side and have said that all these new bjj techniques came to fruition only because they haven’t mastered the basics and needed a work around to counter the basics.

I think bjj has way more hobbyist because it is easier and less painful than getting punched in the face. And because of this, there is a greater demand for instructional videos. I’ve also seen a lot of bad instruction that isn’t structure at all amd that creates a demand for it.

There is more videos available now for striking and I really like Sylvie’s YouTube channel. I think she has a paid site which has way more content. She goes around and trains with the great Muay Thai teachers and champions.

I’ve also seen gyms be super secretive about their set ups for moves amd have seen guys change gyms and even open up their own gyms and have all sorts of drama. The sad reality of instructional videos are that the creators don’t actually make that much money because people pirate them like crazy. I believe that’s why there are more paid sites where you have to stream the content

I think part of that is retired grapplers generally don't have CTE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back