Ryan Hall's "Murder Kimura"

When I first learned the kimura, I thought the finishing mechanics were about bringing the hand behind the back. But now, I teach people that the primary goal is to bring your opponent's elbow in line with their shoulders.

The kimura grip as hall demonstrates it is self evidently going to be ineffective as uke's elbow is essentially by his hips.

I used to fake going for the kimura and then head scissor choke people from a very similar position. Was super effective as everyone was expecting the kimura and didn’t see the head scissor choke coming.
The head scissor from there is a really underrated position... though one I never had much success with.

Randy couture's ex-wife can attest that position works:

The head scissor from there is a really underrated position... though one I never had much success with.

My old coach was from Sheila's gym and I learned it as the ''Sheila choke''.

Recently I've been using it against a monstruously strong partner. My 2 legs against his neck and I barely come out on top, it's crazy.

I used to fake going for the kimura and then head scissor choke people from a very similar position. Was super effective as everyone was expecting the kimura and didn’t see the head scissor choke coming.
Lol, I thought I was the only one doing it, literally I hit it on everyone

On Gordon Ryan's new instructional, he shows exactly this sequence. Kimura to triangle (he calls it some Japanese name). If they clasp their hands to defend kimura, the triangle is there. If they open hands to defend triangle, kimura is there. He uses this choke a few times in the sparring section too.

Indeed.

"how does that feel?"

"terrible"

Lou would approve.

Folks have been figuring out how to convince other folks to say uncle for millennia; whether folks pay attention and profit from lessons already learned is, of course, another question.

Back